Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:41 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63697 [384]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51457 [22]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32896 [14]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [6]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: Experts’ Topic of the Week, 5/15/17: fun with "-ed" words [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi GmatNinja,

Appreciate your efforts for sharing the Knowledge and it is equal to answering 1000 question of this type.

I have read your topic on present participles(Verb + ing Modifiers) and also past participles (verb +ed modifier),
Would you please cover one more modifier in GMAT, that is called Noun, Noun Modifier please

Regards
Joepc
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63697 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
joepc wrote:
Hi GmatNinja,

Appreciate your efforts for sharing the Knowledge and it is equal to answering 1000 question of this type.

I have read your topic on present participles(Verb + ing Modifiers) and also past participles (verb +ed modifier),
Would you please cover one more modifier in GMAT, that is called Noun, Noun Modifier please

Regards
Joepc

Thank you for the kind words, joepc! Glad to hear that this stuff is helping.

And I like the idea of adding a Topic of the Week on "noun, noun" modifiers -- I'll add that to the list. Might take us a while to get to it, but it'll make a good topic. :)

In the meantime, here's a tricky example of one of those modifiers (an "absolute phrase", if you like grammar jargon) in a QOTD that inspired quite a bit of conversation: https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-prairie ... 42439.html

Thank you for the suggestion!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [3]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja
Thanks a lot for sharing. It is posts like these that further solidify my understanding of GMAT Grammar. No wonder, GMATClub Score estimate now tells me I can score a V51 :)
Kudos! I'm looking forward to next week's post.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [3]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Experts’ Topic of the Week, 5/15/17: fun with "-ed" words [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja

Quote:
The key on these questions is to be incredibly strict and literal when you connect the “-ed” modifier to the noun it modifies.

Do you recall GMAT testing if -ed modifier modifies complete clause after coma and NOT just noun after the coma in any of OGs?

I am sure -ing modifier does modify complete clause in OG questions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Kritisood wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
joepc wrote:
Hi GmatNinja,

Regards
Joepc

And I like the idea of adding a Topic of the Week on "noun, noun" modifiers -- I'll add that to the list. Might take us a while to get to it, but it'll make a good topic. :)

In the meantime, here's a tricky example of one of those modifiers (an "absolute phrase", if you like grammar jargon) in a QOTD that inspired quite a bit of conversation: https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-prairie ... 42439.html

Hello GMATNinja. Thanks for posting such valuable blogs. These are what have truly helped me in my preparations. I wanted to ask have you written any on absolute phrases. I dont understand this concept at all. would really help. Thanks!!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63697 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
joepc wrote:
Hi GmatNinja,

Regards
Joepc

Hello GMATNinja. Thanks for posting such valuable blogs. These are what have truly helped me in my preparations. I wanted to ask have you written any on absolute phrases. I dont understand this concept at all. would really help. Thanks!!

Unfortunately, we haven't gotten around to this yet!

Try checking out the example I linked to in my previous post. Here's another example that might help.

Sorry that we don't have something better for you yet! In the meantime, feel free to tag us if you have any specific questions about this, and we'll do our best to respond.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Dear GMATNINJA,

With your help, I want to clear some confusion once and for all. Does the ING/ED participle split include both passive/active and present/past splits? It seems that in some questions, people say that we should use "present" ING participle, while on other occasions some say we should use "ED" participle because of passive mode. These two arguments seem to rely on two completely different concepts, and I want to know if, for example, +ING can be considered either present or active, and +ED considered either past or passive, depending on the different scenarios. Thank you very much!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63697 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
frankqxq wrote:
Dear GMATNINJA,

With your help, I want to clear some confusion once and for all. Does the ING/ED participle split include both passive/active and present/past splits? It seems that in some questions, people say that we should use "present" ING participle, while on other occasions some say we should use "ED" participle because of passive mode. These two arguments seem to rely on two completely different concepts, and I want to know if, for example, +ING can be considered either present or active, and +ED considered either past or passive, depending on the different scenarios. Thank you very much!

Interesting question!

English is complicated enough that most usage issues can't be boiled down to universal rules. That's the case here, and you can see why by considering a few examples.

1) Fired for dressing like a Pirate on casual Friday, Tim filed a discrimination suit that was promptly dismissed.

Here, Tim has been "fired" by somebody else, so it feels like a passive construction.

2) Firing all of his subordinates, Tim decided to quit his job and set sail in search of gold instead.

Now it's Tim doing the "firing," so we have a more active construction.

So sometimes, yes, the -ed form will seem passive and the -ing form will seem active. But this isn't always the case. Consider another set of examples:

1) Tired after a long day of work, Tim decided to take a nap on his hammock while his children shot stomp-rockets at the wasp's nest above his head.

"Tired" doesn't really feel active or passive in the way the previous examples did - there's no action that someone's performing on Tim and "tired" certainly isn't something he's doing. Rather, it feels like a garden-variety adjective, like "exhausted." Now consider:

2) Tiring of the buzzing all around his face, Tim moved back inside, where he could apply ice to his swollen, disfigured face.

Again, "tiring" doesn't really feel active or passive, but it has a different meaning than the previous example. Whereas "tired" seems to convey something like "exhausted," "tiring," seems to suggest "getting sick of" or "annoyed by."

Put another way, the -ed/-ing difference here can't be boiled down to active vs passive the same way the "fired/firing" split could. We have to think about context and meaning. Always! And if you harbored any doubts about the endless complexity of English, check out another example:

3) Tiring out his kids by having them apply ice to his swollen face, Tim longed to return to his hammock, where he planned to cuddle with 10,000 apologetic wasps.

Finally, "tiring out" seems to be an action Tim is purposefully doing to his kids, so the same word is playing different roles in different sentences.

This is all a long-winded way of saying, sure, it might often be the case that -ed words have a passive connotation and -ing words have an active one, but it isn't an absolute rule, and you want to be wary of elevating "rules" above critical thinking. In school, we could sometimes get away with turning off our brains and going on auto-pilot during exams. On the GMAT, not so much.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: HBS '25
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi GMATNinja

I have started my GMAT journey quite recently and I must say that your articles and videos have been helping a lot.
Regarding this article, I have strangely noted that in all your examples the "-ed" modifiers are modifying only the subject(noun in most of the cases). So, is it a general rule that "-ed" can never modify an entire clause?

Regards,
Ankit
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63697 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
ankitkp4056 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

I have started my GMAT journey quite recently and I must say that your articles and videos have been helping a lot.
Regarding this article, I have strangely noted that in all your examples the "-ed" modifiers are modifying only the subject(noun in most of the cases). So, is it a general rule that "-ed" can never modify an entire clause?

Regards,
Ankit

Glad to hear that the articles and videos have been helpful, and sorry for our slow response!

In case it helps anybody else out there: if you've been reading our SC posts, you've probably realized that we are VERY hesitant to make up our own grammar rules. As we say all the time, there are very few concrete, black and white "rules" that you can blindly apply to GMAT SC.

So, is it a general rule that "-ed" can never modify an entire clause? Well, on one hand, I can't think of an OA that uses an -ed modifier to modify an entire clause (if anyone can think of one, let us know!). Does that mean that using an -ed modifier to modify a clause (i.e. "Tim paces back and forth, worried that he'll be blamed for his toddler's face tattoos.") is inherently wrong? I don't think so. That example seems fine to me.

It's best not to stress over a "rule" that the GMAT may or may not violate at some point. Instead, ask yourself, "What does the -ed modifier seem to modify here? Does that make sense?" If so, leave it in the running and look for other decision points.

I hope that helps a bit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Experts’ Topic of the Week, 5/15/17: fun with "-ed" words [#permalink]
Kudos
Is there a rule that states -ed modifier has to be placed at the beginning of the sentence? If not how can one discriminate -ed modifier with -ed verb when placed in the middle of a sentence?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63697 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sant13osh wrote:
Is there a rule that states -ed modifier has to be placed at the beginning of the sentence? If not how can one discriminate -ed modifier with -ed verb when placed in the middle of a sentence?

There is no rule that -ed modifiers can only be placed at the beginning of a sentence! To determine whether an -ed word is a modifier or a verb, you have to think through its function in the sentence. What is the purpose of including that -ed word?

Here are some examples:

"The chocolate chip cookies, baked in the oven to gooey perfection, release a wonderful aroma throughout the house."

In this sentence, what's the point of the word "baked"? It's just there to describe -- or modify -- the cookies. The subject of the sentence is "cookies," the verb is "release," and the bit between the commas is an -ed modifier.

"Paul baked the cookies in the oven to gooey perfection."

Now what is "baked" doing? It's the main action, or verb, in the sentence.

In all, it's good to notice -ed words when you see them in an SC answer choice. After you've noticed the -ed word, ask yourself what role the word plays in order to establish whether it's a verb or a modifier. If it's a modifier, make sure that it can logically describe the noun that's modifying.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [2]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
sant13osh wrote:

Check
- Does the sentence say that somebody baked the cookies? (active form)
- Or does the sentence say that the cookies were baked? (passive form)

In the first case BAKED is a verb, in the second a modifier

"The chocolate chip cookies, baked to gooey perfection, release a wonderful aroma."
- The cookies were baked (by someone)
- The cookies did not bake anything
- BAKED is in passive form, and it is a modifier

"The chocolate chip cookies, baked to gooey perfection by my mother, release a wonderful aroma throughout the house."
- BAKED is still in passive form, & still a modifier
- it's true that the cookies were baked by my mother, but 'MY MOTHER' is the object of 'BY', not the subject of 'BAKED'

"The chocolate chip cookies, that were baked to gooey perfection, release a wonderful aroma throughout the house."
- once more, the cookies WERE BAKED
- still in passive form, still a modifier

"The chocolate chip cookies, that my mother baked to gooey perfection, release a wonderful aroma throughout the house."
- finally, we have BAKED as a verb
- "that my mother baked" is a modifier
- within the modifier, 'MY MOTHER' is a subject and 'BAKED' is a verb

Note: in all the above sentences, the subject of the sentence is COOKIES and the verb is RELEASE

Hope this helps :)

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Re: Experts Topic of the Week, 5/15/17: fun with "-ed" words [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
In last week’s Topic of the Week, we discussed the GMAT’s many uses of “-ing” words. (If you haven’t already read last week’s article, check it out here.) The quick summary: “-ing” words aren’t usually verbs on GMAT SC questions – they’re usually nouns (also known as gerunds) or modifiers instead. And if you understand why “-ing” words usually aren’t verbs, you can avoid a lot of trouble on GMAT SC.

This week, we’ll tackle “-ing” words’ cousins, “-ed” words. The good news is that there are fewer ways to get confused about “-ed” words on SC questions, but the GMAT still has a couple of funky little tricks up its sleeve.

Two uses of "–ed" words

The nice thing about "–ed" words is that there are really only two ways to use them on the GMAT, and the uses are relatively straightforward. The first: an “-ed” word can be a nice, simple verb, in some form of past tense (“studied”, “had studied”, etc.). And sure, the GMAT gets into some mayhem with verb tenses, but that’s a separate issue for another day.

The second GMAT-approved use of “-ed” words: they can be modifiers (also known as past participles, if you're a fan of grammar jargon). In spirit, these are very similar to “-ing” modifiers: your primary concern is making sure that the “-ed” modifier logically “makes sense” with the noun it modifies. Here are some nice, clear examples:

• Published in New York, Saveur magazine features obscure, exotic cuisines from all over the world. → correct, since Saveur magazine is “published in New York”
  • Thrilled with her progress on the GMAT verbal section, the GMAT Club member sent carcass a bouquet of roses to thank him for his wonderful GMAT question banks. → correct, since the GMAT Club member was "thrilled with her progress"

Notice that these “-ed” modifiers have nothing to do with verb tense. Since they’re not verbs, they have no tense – and it’s completely fine to use these “-ed” modifiers in present-tense sentences. So at the very least, be careful not to assume that “-ed” words are always verbs.

Trickier "-ed" modifiers

The two uses of “-ed” words seem clear enough, right? And for many of you, “-ed” modifiers present no challenge at all. If that’s the case for you, awesome! Tune in next week for a completely different GMAT verbal topic. :-D

But even though the concept is clear, some GMAT test-takers really struggle when the GMAT makes the “-ed” modifier “sound good.” See if you can figure out which of the following sentences are right, and which are wrong:

1. Sautéed in butter and capers, the chef prepared an outstanding plate of tilapia this evening.
    2. United by admiration for the world’s greatest athlete, LeBron James is worshipped by millions of basketball fans.
    3. Weakened by concerns about loose monetary policy, the country’s currency fell to a record low against the dollar.
    4. Based on extensive genealogical research, my mother-in-law concluded that I am descended from livestock.

The answer? Only #3 is correct: it makes perfect sense to say that the country’s currency was “weakened by concerns about loose monetary policy.”

The key on these questions is to be incredibly strict and literal when you connect the “-ed” modifier to the noun it modifies. On question #1, you’ll want to ask yourself: does it make sense for the chef to be “sautéed in butter and capers”? On #2, you’ll want to ask yourself: does it make sense for LeBron James to be “united by a shared admiration for the world’s greatest athlete.” And neither of these make sense logically.

Plenty of GMAT test-takers get tripped up on sentences such as #4. That one “sounds fine” to most of us. But if you’re being strict and literal, it doesn’t make logical sense, either: my mother-in-law can’t be “based on extensive genealogical research”. Maybe her report or her conclusion could be “based on extensive research” – but my mother-in-law herself can’t be.

The bottom line: if you find yourself missing any of these examples – or official GMAT SC questions with similar structures – make sure that you’re being mind-numbingly literal with these “-ed” modifiers. And if you want more practice, please keep an eye on souvik101990's magnificent Verbal Question of the Day series over the next couple of weeks.

If you have requests for future verbal Topics of the Week, please feel free to suggest them on this thread, or join us for our weekly Verbal Experts’ Chat at 8 a.m. PST/8:30 p.m. IST on Wednesdays.

GMATNinja

As always, thank you for your invaluable insights. I have a follow-up question on noun -ed modifiers.

I understand that an -ed mod without a comma is a noun modifier
Say I have this made-up example: The dog named Honey went for a walk.
Why would it be incorrect to say, "The dog, named Honey, went for a walk." if I view the part of the sentence "named Honey" as nonessential? Is it just the rule of the land that noun -ed modifiers cannot have commas?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63697 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
GMATNinja

As always, thank you for your invaluable insights. I have a follow-up question on noun -ed modifiers.

I understand that an -ed mod without a comma is a noun modifier
Say I have this made-up example: The dog named Honey went for a walk.
Why would it be incorrect to say, "The dog, named Honey, went for a walk." if I view the part of the sentence "named Honey" as nonessential? Is it just the rule of the land that noun -ed modifiers cannot have commas?

Nah. It's fine to use commas around an -ed modifier.

In your examples, the sentences are both grammatically solid, but convey different meanings. In the example without the commas, there may be multiple dogs and the author is using this one's name to differentiate it from the others, so the modifier is essential to understanding which dog we're talking about.

In the example with the commas, it seems that there's only one dog present, and the author is telling us, by the way, what this one dog's name is. In other words, this time the modifier is nonessential information.

The takeaway: there are very few ironclad rules when it comes to commas, and there's certainly no rule forbidding us to use commas around -ed modifiers. Just as importantly, this type of comma usage is very rarely a significant factor on the GMAT, so you don't need to worry about it too much.

For more on GMAT punctuation, feel free to suffer through this long-winded old video.

I hope that clears things up!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
frankqxq wrote:
Dear GMATNINJA,

Interesting question!

English is complicated enough that most usage issues can't be boiled down to universal rules. That's the case here, and you can see why by considering a few examples.

1) Fired for dressing like a Pirate on casual Friday, Tim filed a discrimination suit that was promptly dismissed.

Here, Tim has been "fired" by somebody else, so it feels like a passive construction.

2) Firing all of his subordinates, Tim decided to quit his job and set sail in search of gold instead.

So sometimes, yes, the -ed form will seem passive and the -ing form will seem active. But this isn't always the case. Consider another set of examples:

1) Tired after a long day of work, Tim decided to take a nap on his hammock while his children shot stomp-rockets at the wasp's nest above his head.

"Tired" doesn't really feel active or passive in the way the previous examples did - there's no action that someone's performing on Tim and "tired" certainly isn't something he's doing. Rather, it feels like a garden-variety adjective, like "exhausted." Now consider:

2) Tiring of the buzzing all around his face, Tim moved back inside, where he could apply ice to his swollen, disfigured face.

Again, "tiring" doesn't really feel active or passive, but it has a different meaning than the previous example. Whereas "tired" seems to convey something like "exhausted," "tiring," seems to suggest "getting sick of" or "annoyed by."

Put another way, the -ed/-ing difference here can't be boiled down to active vs passive the same way the "fired/firing" split could. We have to think about context and meaning. Always! And if you harbored any doubts about the endless complexity of English, check out another example:

3) Tiring out his kids by having them apply ice to his swollen face, Tim longed to return to his hammock, where he planned to cuddle with 10,000 apologetic wasps.

Finally, "tiring out" seems to be an action Tim is purposefully doing to his kids, so the same word is playing different roles in different sentences.

This is all a long-winded way of saying, sure, it might often be the case that -ed words have a passive connotation and -ing words have an active one, but it isn't an absolute rule, and you want to be wary of elevating "rules" above critical thinking. In school, we could sometimes get away with turning off our brains and going on auto-pilot during exams. On the GMAT, not so much.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja,

In the below example https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-growth-of-the-railroads-led-to-the-abolition-of-local-times-which-75679.html#p544464 I am confused as to why E is acceptable.

E] The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

The ed modifier should be literally connected to the noun of the main clause which in this case can be either growth or the abolition. 'of local time' is just prepositional modifier. is the growth determined by when the sun..? the abolition of local time determined by when the sun..?

Where as in option B we use 'WHICH' to remove that ambiguity and the parallelism seems fine.
B] The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and which differed from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63697 [0]

Send PM
Experts Topic of the Week, 5/15/17: fun with "-ed" words [#permalink]
Expert Reply
StringArgs wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
frankqxq wrote:
Dear GMATNINJA,

Interesting question!

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja,

In the below example https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-growth-of-the-railroads-led-to-the-abolition-of-local-times-which-75679.html#p544464 I am confused as to why E is acceptable.

E] The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

The ed modifier should be literally connected to the noun of the main clause which in this case can be either growth or the abolition. 'of local time' is just prepositional modifier. is the growth determined by when the sun..? the abolition of local time determined by when the sun..?

Where as in option B we use 'WHICH' to remove that ambiguity and the parallelism seems fine.

B] The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and which differed from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

Fair point! We do often use comma + -ed/-ing modifier to describe the preceding clause (and hence the subject of the preceding clause). But we can't rely on that as an ironclad rule: "local times" is plural, so "which WAS determined" (singular verb) doesn't work. So (A) and (B) must be eliminated right away.

And (E) makes perfect sense if we treat the "determined" part as a comma-separated modifier. You'd probably have no issue with something like this:

"Local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian, were abolished in 1850."

(E) is basically the same thing, just in a different order. And notice that the comma-separated modifier comes right in the middle of a parallel list ("The growth of the railroads led (1) to the abolition of local times and (2) to the establishment of regional times."). If we wanted "determined" to modify the entire clause, why didn't we put it at the END of the clause?

The position of the modifier and the context make it pretty clear that "determined" describes "local times," so (E) works in this case.

I hope that helps a bit!
GMAT Club Bot
Experts Topic of the Week, 5/15/17: fun with "-ed" words [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts