GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 19:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 05:43
hi egmat, I just went through the egmat file on: "VERB-ED MODIFIERS CANNOT JUMP OVER VERBS" that took this question as an example. I would just like to understand something:
since the of-prep " of the Kushan empire" modifies TIME, can we then say that "fashioned" modifies TIME more than it does EMPIRE?
In other words should " comma + Verb ED modifiers" be treated as "comma + relative pronoun modifiers" are?
thank you!!!

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 09:20
Icecream87 wrote:
hi egmat, I just went through the egmat file on: "VERB-ED MODIFIERS CANNOT JUMP OVER VERBS" that took this question as an example. I would just like to understand something:
since the of-prep " of the Kushan empire" modifies TIME, can we then say that "fashioned" modifies TIME more than it does EMPIRE?
In other words should " comma + Verb ED modifiers" be treated as "comma + relative pronoun modifiers" are?
thank you!!!

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.

I would suggest to keep things simple: All modifiers except present participle modifiers ( -ing) would in most cases follow the "touch rule" - that the modifier touches the noun it modifies. However it is also important to keep a note of the exception to the touch rule ( Manhattan SC guide provides a superb gist of the exceptions).

Keeping the above in mind, what you have suggested - something close to that a past participle modifier and a relative clause modifier follow the touch rule - is generally correct.
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 06:03
Icecream87 wrote:

Hi Icecream87, the past participle phrase here (fashioned...) is not intended to modify either Kushan empire or time.

It is intended to modify images of Hindu deities, since these images were fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.

In fact, if you look at the correct option (option E), it makes it very clear:

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities date...and were fashioned...

So, for the verb were, the subject is images of Hindu deities. So, we know that the images of Hindu deities were fashioned.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these participial modifiers, their application and examples in significant detail. In fact, this sentence is given as an example in that section. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 09:24
EducationAisle wrote:
Icecream87 wrote:

Hi Icecream87, the past participle phrase here (fashioned...) is not intended to modify either Kushan empire or time.

It is intended to modify images of Hindu deities, since these images were fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.

In fact, if you look at the correct option (option E), it makes it very clear:

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities date...and were fashioned...

So, for the verb were, the subject is images of Hindu deities. So, we know that the images of Hindu deities were fashioned.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these participial modifiers, their application and examples in significant detail. In fact, this sentence is given as an example in that section. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

Hi EducationAisle,

Thanks for answering. I get why this sentence is wrong. I was however trying to understand if that bold part in the sentence would be correct if fashioned was intended to modify time

for instance:
The boutique in Paris, whose owner was robbed is closed.
in Paris correctly modifies boutique so the placement of whose is accepted

But if the sentence was as follows, would it still be correct?
The boutique in Paris, colored red is closed.
Thanks

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 19:59
Icecream87 wrote:
But if the sentence was as follows, would it still be correct?
The boutique in Paris, colored red is closed.

Yes. Following is an officially correct sentence:

Fossils of the arm of a sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on the Greater Antilles islands.

The past participle found modifies fossils and not sloth.

Thanks,
Ashish

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 16:46
Hi all,

Issue: ",fashioned" modifier describes which noun among IMAGES, DEITIES, and EMPIRE?

Grammatically, ",fashioned" modifier is supposed to describe EMPIRE, the closest noun.

Honestly, for non-native speakers, like me, it is quite tough to decide correct noun that ", fashioned" modifier is assigned to.

So my approach will be that if I have a doubt, such as the above issue, then I just leave it there and examine other options.

Option E makes sense, without any doubt, to me. It is because the missing E will construct a parallelism structure that provides 2 independent ideas:

(1) The images date from the time of the Kushan empire

AND

(2) The images were fashioned.......

Just my 2 cents.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 14:07
SISDIT wrote:
Hi all,

Issue: ",fashioned" modifier describes which noun among IMAGES, DEITIES, and EMPIRE?

Grammatically, ",fashioned" modifier is supposed to describe EMPIRE, the closest noun.

Honestly, for non-native speakers, like me, it is quite tough to decide correct noun that ", fashioned" modifier is assigned to.

So my approach will be that if I have a doubt, such as the above issue, then I just leave it there and examine other options.

Option E makes sense, without any doubt, to me. It is because the missing E will construct a parallelism structure that provides 2 independent ideas:

(1) The images date from the time of the Kushan empire

AND

(2) The images were fashioned.......

Just my 2 cents.

Hello SISDIT,

I am aware that your post is pretty old. However, I will be glad to add my two cents here to describe how the context of the sentence can help us a modifier is meant to modify which entity.

Let's read the original sentence once: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.

From the context of the sentence, we know that something is fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.

From the word sandstone we know that the spotted sandstone of Mathura is a kind of stone that is found in Mathura,. Hence, we can safely infer that Gandharan grey schist is also a type of stone.

So what could logically be made up of these one of the types of stones?

EMPIRE: This noun does not make sense. What do we mean by the empire was fashioned from a kind of stone?
DEITIES: This noun also does not make sense because deities mean gods or goddesses that cannot be fashioned from stone:
IMAGES: This noun makes sense because we are aware that images or statues can be fashioned or made from stone.

So the only logical noun entity that the verb-ed modifier fashioned can describe is the images.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT Date: 07-30-2015
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 01:39
Some one please help me,how to find the core of this sentence :- I mean how do I find the subject and verb. Please help me to strip this sentence to it's core.

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire, fashioned [either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or] Gandharan grey schist.

A) Empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or
B) Empire, fashioned from either the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from
C) Empire, either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or
D) Empire and either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from
E) Empire and were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

If I ask question who or what fashioned Gandharran grey schist.
is this the subject :- Hindu deities fashioned

egmat Please guide.
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 00:07
rajatbanik wrote:
Some one please help me,how to find the core of this sentence :- I mean how do I find the subject and verb. Please help me to strip this sentence to it's core.

Hi rajatbanik, the core of the sentence is:

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire.

Quote:

If you logically think about it, you got the relationship reverse. Hindu deities did not fashion Gandharan grey schist (a stone); the Hindu deities were fashioned (were carved) by Gandharan grey schist.

Perhaps one reason for your mis-interpretation could be that you thought that fashioned was a simple past tense verb. In this sentence however, the only verb is date; fashioned is used as a past participle here, and not as a simple past tense verb.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses an easy framework to distinguish between Simple Past Tense Verb Vs Past Participle. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT Date: 07-30-2015
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 09:04
EducationAisle wrote:
rajatbanik wrote:

Hi rajatbanik, the core of the sentence is:

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan empire.

Quote:

If you logically think about it, you got the relationship reverse. Hindu deities did not fashion Gandharan grey schist (a stone); the Hindu deities were fashioned (were carved) by Gandharan grey schist.

Perhaps one reason for your mis-interpretation could be that you thought that fashioned was a simple past tense verb. In this sentence however, the only verb is date; fashioned is used as a past participle here, and not as a simple past tense verb.

Could you please explain what does the verb date here mean.
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 09:16
rajatbanik wrote:
Could you please explain what does the verb date here mean.

date means to belong to a particular period / have its origin.

Thanks,
Ashish

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2018, 14:54
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 274: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

(A) empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or - Incorrect

(B) empire, fashioned from either the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from - Incorrect

(C) empire, either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or - Incorrect

(D) empire and either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from - Incorrect

(E) empire and were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from - Correct. SVA. Idiom usage.

Answer: (E).

:-) Non-Allergic To Kudos :-)

RC Moderator
P
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 May 2018, 06:06
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 274: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

(A) empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or

(B) empire, fashioned from either the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

(C) empire, either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or

(D) empire and either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

(E) empire and were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

Analysis : The modifier fashioned is erroneously modifying the previous noun Kushan empire - It seems to state a illogical meaning that KE was fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist. Where as the intended meaning is somewhat :

Many of the earliest known in India
-------------------1) date from the time of the Kushan empire
-------------------2) fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.

so both of them are saying something about images of Hindu deities

Option A: Incorrect : As pointed out in analysis.

Option B: Incorrect : Similar issue as in A.

Option C: Incorrect : 1. Same issue as in A.
-------------------------2. Not following the std form idiom Either X or Y (where X ll Y) - here Either X(verb) or Y( noun) (where X notll Y)

Option D: Incorrect : Similar issue as in c(2). Not following the std form idiom Either X or Y (where X ll Y) - here Either X(verb) or Y( noun) (where X notll Y)

Option E: Correct :
--------------------1. Both the information about images of Hindu deities are connected properly by and.
--------------------2. date logically ll were fashioned - both of them being illustrative information about the subject.
--------------------3. Correctly follows the std form idiom Either X (the spotted sandstone of Mathura) or Y (Gandharan grey schist) (where X(noun) ll Y(noun)

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Originally posted by u1983 on 29 Apr 2018, 15:09.
Last edited by u1983 on 01 May 2018, 06:06, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from &nbs [#permalink] 29 Apr 2018, 15:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap