Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 23:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Modifier

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Modifier [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 18:02
In a crowded, acquisitive world, the disapperance of lifestyles such as those once followed by southern Africa's Bushmen and Australia's aborigines, requiring vast wild spaces and permitting little accumulation of goods, seem inevitably doomed.
(B) requiring vast wild spaces and permitting little accumulation of goods, seems to be inevitably doomed
C which require vast wild spaces and permit little accumulation of goods, seems to be inevitably doomed
(D) life-styles that require vast wild spaces and permit little accumulation of goods, seem inevitable
(E) life-stlyes requiring vast wild spaces and permitting little accumulation of goods, seems inevitable

Between D and E--Edited this part
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
Sentence has S-V and modifier issue

Subject “the disappearance” requires singular verb – eliminate A and D

C – Which modifier issue – illogically modifies Australia's aborigines
E – life-styles – redundant

Answer: B
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 21:31
IMO A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 21:50
arorag wrote:
In a crowded, acquisitive world, the disapperance of lifestyles such as those once followed by southern Africa's Bushmen and Australia's aborigines, requiring vast wild spaces and permitting little accumulation of goods, seem inevitably doomed.
(B) requiring vast wild spaces and permitting little accumulation of goods, seems to be inevitably doomed
C which require vast wild spaces and permit little accumulation of goods, seems to be inevitably doomed
(D) life-styles that require vast wild spaces and permit little accumulation of goods, seem inevitable
(E) life-stlyes requiring vast wild spaces and permitting little accumulation of goods, seems inevitable

I will go with (A). Looking at D and E, is "doomed" underlined or not?

If "doomed" is underlined, (E) is the best choice. we have to know what requires "vast wild spaces and permit little accumulation of goods". D and E correctly provides that (life-styles), however, D is incorrect as we need "seems" to match life-styles which is plural.

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 13:39
I'd go with (E).

I'd eliminate (A), (B), and (C) immediately because "the disappearance of lifestyles" is not inevitably doomed. It's the lifestyles themselves that are doomed, not the disappearance of them.

Between (D) and (E), I'd eliminate (D) because "seem" would modify a plural subject. "The disappearance" is singular, so there is disagreement here.

Although a very ugly sentence, I'd go with (E).
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs 2011

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 14:47
I'll go with E.

A, B and C say: 'the disappearance of something seems inevitably doomed'. Correct structure is ''the disappearance of something seems inevitable'

Between D and E, I chose E because, the disappearance is singular, so needs 'seems'
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 21:36
Clear case of (B)

Kick GMAT ass

VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 01:00
arorag wrote:

I assume the word "doomed" is also underlined.

I pick E.

disappearance is singular --- so we need "seems". We can eliminate choices A and D.

in C, the word "which" incorrectly modifies Australia's aborigines.

in B, "requiring .........doomed" incorrectly modifies the "disappearance of lifestyles" while it should be talking about "lifestyles"

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 11:18
IMO D....because of the "lifestyles" which is plural and if you see carefully in sentence "those" has been used, which shows we have to consider lifestyles and not the disapperance.....btw...may I know the plural form of "disapperance"?

For the same reason I will eliminate B, C and E.....A doesn't have subject...it is not clear what is requiring?

I have only one doubt abt D also, as per OG 11E "seem" must be followed by infinitive (i.e. to) can somebody help me out?

IMO D....wht is OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 13:32
E

in A teh adverbial clause starting with "requiring ...." seems to ambiguously modify dissapearence
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 14:36
arorag wrote:

Is the word doomed underlined or non underlined. if doomed is underlined and D & E dont have the word, the whole meaning changes. E would mean that disappearance is unstoppable. B would mean the exact opposite.
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 18:25
I followed the exact steps taken by hanumayamma and came to the same conclusion.

(B)

Sumi
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 18:49
arorag wrote:

I will vote for E here

Though I believe that life-styles is redundant in E,

"Seems to be" in B is wordy compared with "seems' in E
"the disapperance of lifestyles .. seems...inevitably doomed"
in B is also redundant.
E uses correct & precise "inevitable" and conveys the same meaning.

Please post OA/OE when appropriate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 19:18
If doomed is part of the underlined sentence, I go for E as well.

The disappearance.......seems inevitable
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Duke

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 21:01
Hi OA IS E
CEO
CEO
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 475 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 21:47
arorag wrote:

Agree with E though OA is already realeased.

E is correct because if we use only "requiring vast wild spaces and permitting little accumulation of goods" to modify the phrase "the disapperance of lifestyles ...........................", it changes the meaning.

This is because "requiring vast wild spaces and permitting little accumulation of goods" cannot modify "the disapperance of lifestyles .......................... ", it changes the meaning.

To maintain the correct meaning of the sentense, we need to repete "life-stlyes" in modifying phrase. Therefore E is correct.....

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

SVP
SVP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 03:51
Had D contained "seems", it would have been the best choice. In the absence of this, E is the answer.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 475 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modifier [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 06:02
scthakur wrote:
Had D contained "seems", it would have been the best choice. In the absence of this, E is the answer.

I guess you want to say:
Quote:
(D) life-styles that require vast wild spaces and that permit little accumulation of goods, seems inevitable

First it is not parallel as "that" after "and" is missing. Second, IMO, it changes the meaning as the tense of the sentence is changed into simple present tense. I am not comfortable.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Re: Modifier   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2008, 06:02