Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 02:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Noun modifier with "which"

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Noun modifier with "which" [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 02:51
I know the relative pronoun, "which", only modifies the noun immediately preceding it, but if the noun is "X of Y", does "which" modify "X of Y" or just "Y"?

For example,
Increasing demand on the Chattahoochee River could alter the saline content of Apalachicola Bay, which... <--- does "which" modify "Apalachicola Bay" or "the saline content of Aaplachiocola Bay"?

Can someone please also explain the difference between "which" and "in which" and their usage?

Thanks!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Noun modifier with "which" [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 04:49
gotomba wrote:
I know the relative pronoun, "which", only modifies the noun immediately preceding it, but if the noun is "X of Y", does "which" modify "X of Y" or just "Y"?

For example,
Increasing demand on the Chattahoochee River could alter the saline content of Apalachicola Bay, which... <--- does "which" modify "Apalachicola Bay" or "the saline content of Aaplachiocola Bay"?

Can someone please also explain the difference between "which" and "in which" and their usage?

Thanks!!

As you clearly mentioned that 'which' modifies the noun immediately preceding it, it at times also refers to the entire sentence preceding it.
e.g. It emerged that Edna made the complaint, which surprised everyone.

Now, what is not clear here is that what is surprising? whether the complaint or that Edna made it. In these case, we look at the complete sentence preceding 'which'. So, here what is surprising is that Edna made the complaint.

Suppose the sentence that you have written is:
Increasing demand on the X river could alter the saline content of Y bay, which can be detrimental for the marine life.
So, here 'which' is indicating the 'increasing demand on X..'.

'in which' is normally used to introduce a relative clause after a noun that refers to a place or time.
e.g. In the left drawer there is a wooden box, in which my ring is kept.

I hope that clears some of your doubts, but if you can give the sentences that are confusing, then probably, a better explanation can be provided.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Intern
Intern

Re: Noun modifier with "which" [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2009, 20:44
Thanks Aknine!

Here's an example:

Unlike the body’s inflammatory response to cuts and sprains, in which widespread swelling and stiffness immobilize the injured area until it has healed, the body’s more localized response to sunburn results in a distinct line dividing affected and unaffected areas of the skin.

In this sentence here, is it because "widespread swelling and stiffness" is in the cuts and sprains and which refers to cuts and sprains, so we use "in which" here?

Thanks!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Noun modifier with "which" [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 20:43
gotomba wrote:
Here's an example:
Unlike the body’s inflammatory response to cuts and sprains, in which widespread swelling and stiffness immobilize the injured area until it has healed, the body’s more localized response to sunburn results in a distinct line dividing affected and unaffected areas of the skin.

In this sentence here, is it because "widespread swelling and stiffness" is in the cuts and sprains and which refers to cuts and sprains, so we use "in which" here?

You are correct that 'in which' here refers to the body's inflammatory responses to cuts and sprains, and it is being used as a more precise alternative to simply using 'where'.
Here is another example that will help us get a clearer idea.
- Near where I live there is a wood where you can find woodpeckers.
or
- Near where I live there is a wood in which you can find woodpeckers.

This is similar to other cases where:
'at which' is a more precise alternative to 'where'
e.g. The fancy dress party, where the men all turned up as gangsters, was held in Manhatten.
or,
The fancy dress party, at which the men all turned up as gangsters, was held in Manhatten.
and,
'on which' is a more precise alternative to 'when'.
e.g. The day when I am forced to give up riding will be a sad day for me.
or,
The day on which I am forced to give up riding will be a sad day for me.

I guess that clarifies a lot :)

"Always....Read between the lines"

Intern
Intern

Re: Noun modifier with "which" [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 00:48
Thanks Aknine, it really helps!! :-D
Re: Noun modifier with "which"   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2009, 00:48