Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Logical Flawx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 748 [61]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [9]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [4]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: On the basis of a decrease in the college-age population, many college [#permalink]
it is showing that there was 40 percent increase in the nice college qualified applicants last year, so how d can be right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: On the basis of a decrease in the college-age population, many college [#permalink]
Bookmarks
On the basis of a decrease in the college-age population, many colleges now anticipate increasingly smaller freshman classes each year. Surprised by a 40 percent increase in qualified applicants over the previous year, however, administrators at Nice College now plan to hire more faculty for courses taken by all freshmen.

Which of the following statements about Nice College’s current qualified applicants, if true, would strongly suggest that the administrators’ plan is flawed?

(A) A substantially higher percentage than usual plan to study for advanced degrees after graduation from college. IRRELEVANT

(B) According to their applications, their level of participation in extracurricular activities and varsity sports is unusually high. IRRELEVANT

(C) According to their applications, none of them lives in a foreign country. IRRELEVANT

(D) A substantially lower percentage than usual rate Nice College as their first choice among the colleges to which they are applying. CORRECT. lesser percentage than previous years have NICE College as first choice. this implies that lower number of applicants will be willing to join this college in real sense.

(E) A substantially lower percentage than usual list mathematics as their intended major. IRRELEVANT.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
n22 wrote:
Surprised by a 40 percent increase in qualified applicants over the previous year, however, administrators at Nice College now plan to hire more faculty for courses taken by all freshmen.
but this line is showing that there is 40 percent increase in qualified applicants in nice college so this time also it should be the same. so why d?

n22 wrote:
it is showing that there was 40 percent increase in the nice college qualified applicants last year, so how d can be right?

A 40 percent increase in applicants does not necessarily mean a 40 percent increase in enrollment.

Quote:
(D) A substantially lower percentage than usual rate Nice College as their first choice among the colleges to which they are applying.

Thus, maybe more people will apply, but if those applicants get into other schools and would prefer to go to those schools over Nice College, then those applicants will not actually enroll at Nice College. Perhaps, for example, more applicants are simply applying to Nice College as a "safety" school and, if they are accepted, would prefer to go to other schools. Thus, the increase in faculty could be a waste.

Can anybody verify the source of this question?[/quot

This question was posted so long ago. I’m aware that most have moved on, but I have the same question as GMAT Ninja.

I arrived at the correct answer through Process of Elimination, but it doesn’t seem like any of the answers are “correct”.

Getting to the correct answer by eliminating the obvious wrong ones worked....

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [1]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
American education System :

Middle shool / Junior High School 6 - 8th grade
Freshmen - 9
Sophomore - 10
Junior - 11
Senior - 12

Undergrad
Freshman - 1st year of undergraduate college
Sophomore - 2nd year of undergraduate college
Junior - 3rd year of undergraduate college
Senior - 4th year of undergraduate college
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [2]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The correct option is option D.

Let us understand the passage.

- Population of college-going population has seen a decrease
- Based on above, many colleges are expecting to see smaller freshman (first year) batches (lesser number of students)
- Observed - a 40% increase in qualified applicants compared to previous year at Nice College
- Plan by Nice College - Hire more faculty to cover the courses taken by freshmen

- Flaw in the plan.

The logical jump the Nice college authorities seem to have taken is to equate Applicants with actual enrolments (Out of 100 applicants, how many students actually join the college?). A student may apply, and successfully qualify to multiple colleges. What if a significant number of these qualified applicants choose some other college? Then, the plan to hire faculty would be futile.

Which is what makes option D correct. It essentially tells us that a significantly lower % of people would consider Nice College as their first choice i.e. probably go to some other college even if they qualify for Nice.

(A) A substantially higher percentage than usual plan to study for advanced degrees after graduation from college.
We are only concerned with the plan to hire faculty for teaching freshmen courses. Even if a significantly high % of Nice's qualified applicants plan to do higher studies, that has no relevance to whether the plan to hire faculty for their first year freshman courses is flawed or not

(B) According to their applications, their level of participation in extracurricular activities and varsity sports is unusually high.
Participation in extra-curriculars is completely irelevant here

(C) According to their applications, none of them lives in a foreign country.
Also completely irrelevant.

(D) A substantially lower percentage than usual rate Nice College as their first choice among the colleges to which they are applying.
As discusses, this is the correct answer. It essentially tells us that a significantly lower % of people would consider Nice College as their first choice i.e. probably go to some other college even if they qualify for Nice. Which would make the plan to hire faculty problematic (whats the point of faculty if you dont have enough students?)

(E) A substantially lower percentage than usual list mathematics as their intended major.
Irrelevant.

Hope this helps!
UNC Kenan Flagler Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Would appreciate if someone can explain what this line means -
Quote:
On the basis of a decrease in the college-age population
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Pritishd wrote:
Would appreciate if someone can explain what this line means -
Quote:

2 ways to understand the meaning :
1. Simplify the words:
on the basis of population : i see it seems some number. what number? college age. oh so it means total number of people in college
So they have totoal number of people. I guess they mean people here as students.

2. When you read the whole argument, by now you should be clear that they are taking of freshman numbers

So the meaning is : as the number of students are decreasing , so admin plan to hire more faculty . why because they get 40% more qualified applications.

What's the problem with this reasoning?
>> even without seeing any option , you can guess: they get many applications but still students may not join here. In short, population of students may not increase ( more freshmen may not join)
D fulfills this gap ( this college is not the first priority)

i hope it is clear.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts