Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 12:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question with Manhattan Functions Strategy section

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Question with Manhattan Functions Strategy section [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 20:13
I am having some difficulty understanding one of the prep questions in the Functions Strategy section of the Manhattan GMAT Prep book, 4th Edition. The problem, on page 77, is as follows:

"Jake was 4 1/2 feet tall on his 12th birthday, when he began to have a growth spurt. Between his 12th and 15th birthdays, he grew at a constant rate. If Jake was 20% taller on his 15th birthday than on his 13th birthday, how many inches per year did Jake grow during his growth spurt? (12 inches = 1 foot)"

The explanation of the answer is as follows:

In this problem, the constant growth does not begin until Jake has reached his twelfth birthday, so in order to use the constant growth function y = mx + b, let time x = 0 (the initial state) stand for Jake's twelfth birthday. Therefore, x = 1 stands for his 13th birthday, x = 2 stands for his 14th birthday, and x = 3 stands for his 15th birthday.

The problem asks for an answer in inches but gives you information in feet. Therefore, it is convenient to convert to inches at the beginning of the problem: 4 1/2 feet = 54 inches = b. Since the growth rate m is unknown, the growth function can be written as y = mx + 54. Jake's height on his 13th birthday, when x = 1, was 54 + m, and his height on his 15th birthday, when x = 3, was 54 + 3m, which is 20% more than 54 + m. Thus we have:

54 + 3m = (54 + m) + 0.20(54 + m)
54 + 3m = 1.2(54 + m)
54 + 3m = 64.8 + 1.2 m
1.8 m = 10.8
m = 6
Therefore Jake grew at a rate of 6 inches each year.

My question is in the red above, I don't understand how they worked out that 3m is 20% more than 3, I would never think of answering the problem that way. I would really appreciate it if any of you math gurus could give me an explanation for why this is the case. Thanks a ton!

"All that is really worthwhile is action. Personal success or personal satisfaction are not worth another thought."
-Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 663 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Question with Manhattan Functions Strategy section [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
That explanation seems a bit complicated. If he's growing at a constant rate, then we can assume he grows g inches per year. Then in inches, his heights on each birthday are:

12th bday: 54
13th bday: 54 + g
14th bday: 54 + 2g
15th bday: 54 + 3g

We know his height on his 15th birthday is 20% greater than on his 13th birthday. If one thing is 20% greater than another, it is 1.2 times the other. So we get an equation:

54 + 3g = 1.2(54 + g)
270 + 15g = 6(54 + g)
270 + 15g = 324 + 6g
9g = 54
g = 6

I multiplied both sides by 5 to get rid of decimals in the second step, but that's not necessary if you're happy working with decimals.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

SVP
SVP
Followers: 185

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Question with Manhattan Functions Strategy section [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2014, 22:37
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Question with Manhattan Functions Strategy section   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2014, 22:37