Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 04:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Random crazy question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 27

Random crazy question [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 16:45
Hi guys,

I am getting paranoid.

One of my recommenders borrowed my macbook to do finishing touches on my recos before uploading them on the school's website.
Do the adcom people track ip addresses of the person uploading? Since Microsoft Word has Author information on it, will they think that I edited the recommendation and deny my application? :-(

I appreciate any inputs from people who worked with Admissions panel before.

Thanks guys.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 15

Re: Random crazy question [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 18:32
If they raise a bell, i'm sure they will first contact your recommender to square things away. There are many factors that can occur with a duplicate ip address (shared network at work).

And generally everything is converted to a PDF too.

I honestly doubt that they will ding you solely on this, without checking on the issue first.

This is just a guess though, I have no evidence to back it up.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

Re: Random crazy question [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 13:13
B-schools have beefed up a lot of their behind the scenes efforts to combat fraud. I'm not sure how they will interpret these things...but as the poster above mentioned -- the same IP address within an office is not going to seem out of the ordinary. Just make sure you are prepared to answer any follow-up questions.

https://technolutions.com/slate/advantage

Fraud detection

Slate features a robust fraud detection system. By evaluating document metadata and login histories for applicants and recommenders, Slate is able to issue intelligent and adaptive alerts when potential fraud is detected. Our proprietary plagiarism detection system, able to be run on-demand or automatically on schedule, searches the entire corpus of uploaded documents and will identify statistically-significant duplication.

chethanjs wrote:
Hi guys,

I am getting paranoid.

One of my recommenders borrowed my macbook to do finishing touches on my recos before uploading them on the school's website.
Do the adcom people track ip addresses of the person uploading? Since Microsoft Word has Author information on it, will they think that I edited the recommendation and deny my application? :-(

Thanks guys.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

Re: Random crazy question [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 14:28
chethanjs wrote:
Hi guys,

I am getting paranoid.

Thanks guys.

Did he actually submit the letter on your laptop? If so, that could be a problem. Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat it.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q V0
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.7
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Random crazy question [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 05:28
If you're worried about it, which is sounds like maybe you should be based on the above responses, then just call or email the admissions team explaining the situation. Remember, these are people on the other end, and my experiences with them is that they've always been very understanding of different circumstances and situations that arise during the application process. Don't stress!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Random crazy question [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 11:30
There's no need for adcom to manually verify anything. In today's age, don't you think it would be automatic? For instance, just a note that runs at the top of your application that automatically highlights anything odd. There are companies that already offer this kind of thing... check out the bottom of this: https://technolutions.com/slate/advantage

Quote:
Fraud detection

Slate features a robust fraud detection system. By evaluating document metadata and login histories for applicants and recommenders, Slate is able to issue intelligent and adaptive alerts when potential fraud is detected. Our proprietary plagiarism detection system, able to be run on-demand or automatically on schedule, searches the entire corpus of uploaded documents and will identify statistically-significant duplication.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

Re: Random crazy question [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 17:39
QiuYidio wrote:
There's no need for adcom to manually verify anything. In today's age, don't you think it would be automatic? For instance, just a note that runs at the top of your application that automatically highlights anything odd. There are companies that already offer this kind of thing... check out the bottom of this: https://technolutions.com/slate/advantage

Quote:
Fraud detection

Here's what I don't get about this. There are numerous instances where the recommender will share a similar IP address if you guys work in the same building or other cases where let's say the writer borrows your laptop to log in or cases like mine. Will all those be flagged as cases of "fraud?" Also, this software searches uploaded documents for cases of duplication. In many cases, we tell the recommenders what to focus on or talk about, such as certain projects or examples of leadership. We then talk about that in our essays to reinforce the message of the recommenders. Will those be flagged as "duplication" because we may have used the same stories or phrases? I don't know the answer to any of these questions. Just wondering.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Random crazy question [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 17:49
Shawshank wrote:
QiuYidio wrote:

Quote:
Fraud detection

Here's what I don't get about this. There are numerous instances where the recommender will share a similar IP address if you guys work in the same building or other cases where let's say the writer borrows your laptop to log in or cases like mine. Will all those be flagged as cases of "fraud?" Also, this software searches uploaded documents for cases of duplication. In many cases, we tell the recommenders what to focus on or talk about, such as certain projects or examples of leadership. We then talk about that in our essays to reinforce the message of the recommenders. Will those be flagged as "duplication" because we may have used the same stories or phrases? I don't know the answer to any of these questions. Just wondering.

I think it's the combination of things. For instance, if the log-in is from the same IP, but the fraud detection doesn't find statistical similarities, then you're probably fine. But if the log-in is from the same IP, there's similar grammatical structure / diction, and the log-in times are one after the other, then it'll probably flag.
Re: Random crazy question   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2012, 17:49