Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC - Having

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

SC - Having [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 23:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:45) correct 57% (00:53) wrong based on 199 sessions
Shostakovich’s Fourth Symphony had not hardly entered rehearsals when the political climate turned against the composer and made him having the piece performed impossible.

A. had not hardly entered rehearsals when the political climate turned against the composer and made him having
B. had not hardly entered rehearsals when the political climate turned against the composer and made his having
C. had hardly entered rehearsals when the political climate turned against the composer and made his having
D. had hardly entered rehearsals when the political climate turned against the composer and made him having
E. had hardly entered rehearsals when the political climate turned against the composer and made himself having

Please explain

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
SC1.PNG
SC1.PNG [ 29.92 KiB | Viewed 4650 times ]
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Cheers,
SD

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB hydrabad, IIMs
WE 1: Steel Authority of India Limited
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 23:44
Answer D

A & B rejected as both have .....not hardly..

kumar sanjay
http://sanjay80.blogspot.com

27 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 744 [27] , given: 11

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 01:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hey You Guys,

This is an interesting question, so I thought I'd weigh in. The correct answer is actually C, not D. This is a parallelism issue, which we can recognize by finding the word "and". Whenever you see conjunctions like "and" or "or", ask yourself what elements need to be parallel. In this case, we can use the second element more effectively.

The word "made" comes after the "and", this means that we must be paralleling verbs. The other verb is "turned". We cannot change the subject of both of these verbs: "the political climate". So did the political climate make "him..." or "his..."? It wouldn't make any sense for the political climate to make him do something. That would imply that Shostakovich had to DO something. But what the climate did was make the performance of his symphony impossible. This can be reworded as "made his having the piece performed impossible".

This is an example of a verb phrase acting as a noun, like "Having good friends is a great thing". In this case, the action of "having good friends" is serving as a noun in the sentence. Likewise "having the piece performed" is a noun, the object of the verb "make" (which you can even think of as "make impossible" to simplify things in your head). Just to round this out, "his" is a possessive pronoun modifying the action "having the piece performed". "Him" is an object pronoun, and illogical here.

Hope that helps. Great question!

Tommy Wallach
ManhattanGMAT

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 07:25
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey You Guys,

This is an interesting question, so I thought I'd weigh in. The correct answer is actually C, not D. This is a parallelism issue, which we can recognize by finding the word "and". Whenever you see conjunctions like "and" or "or", ask yourself what elements need to be parallel. In this case, we can use the second element more effectively.

The word "made" comes after the "and", this means that we must be paralleling verbs. The other verb is "turned". We cannot change the subject of both of these verbs: "the political climate". So did the political climate make "him..." or "his..."? It wouldn't make any sense for the political climate to make him do something. That would imply that Shostakovich had to DO something. But what the climate did was make the performance of his symphony impossible. This can be reworded as "made his having the piece performed impossible".

This is an example of a verb phrase acting as a noun, like "Having good friends is a great thing". In this case, the action of "having good friends" is serving as a noun in the sentence. Likewise "having the piece performed" is a noun, the object of the verb "make" (which you can even think of as "make impossible" to simplify things in your head). Just to round this out, "his" is a possessive pronoun modifying the action "having the piece performed". "Him" is an object pronoun, and illogical here.

Tommy Wallach
ManhattanGMAT

I picked D, but i thought it is C after your explanation. +1 kudo

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 12:39
Tommy --- a million thanks to you.

Cheers,
SD

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 13:31
TommyWallach - you are the man! do you offer verbal classes ?????? pls tell me you don't have a minimum score for you to consider me for your classes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 26

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 16:20
C, should be "his having" :P

It just sounds "cleaner" to my ear because I used to get this wrong in English class all the time (10 years ago...) so this lesson stuck to me.

I received this email today (from a vendor to my supervisor):
"I’m not sure why someone can’t simply read my previous email to the questions below but perhaps me copying and pasting the answers into this email will help."

The "me" should be "my" and it'll read much better. Thanks for the explanation too Tommy.

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 109

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 14:36
+1 C

"his having..." is more logical.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 14:41
Yeah it's between C and D at first look, and after reading the explanation it seems C... but need to practice more of such questions!!

Good Luck!!!

***Help and be helped!!!****

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 21:51
both A and B are rejected for using two negatives - 'hardly' and 'not' distorting the meaning of the sentence.
E is clearly not making sense- made himself the piece peroformed impossible is incorrect usage
Amongst D and C the only difference is use of him or his. Since having the performance is something that the composer wanted- it is his ' xxxxxx' for example - 'my having to perfect every exam is an obsession i cant get over!'
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 21

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 23:03
Nice explanation, I chosen D but after your explanation, i can what mistake i did. +1 Kudos
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 03:44
C it is.. great explanation...by the instructor....
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 15

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 09:19

Strike one: 'made him having [the piece performed]' makes no sense. it should be 'made his having [the piece performed]'
--> eliminate A, D and E

Strike two: should be 'had hardly entered rehearsals' and not 'had not hardly entered rehearsals' --> eliminate B

Answer: C

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 09:49
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey You Guys,

Tommy Wallach
ManhattanGMAT

Great post. Thanks for the explanation.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 08:23
At first glance I would have chosen D, so thank you TommyWallach for the great explanation of why C was the correct answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 21:34
I picked D as well but now I understand why C is correct.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 73

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 09:22
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey You Guys,

Tommy Wallach
ManhattanGMAT

wonderful explanation. thnx!

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 23:21
Good question and great explanation.
I got trapped in D.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 20:07
great question and even great explanation by Tommy. If these question would appear in GMAT then which level question would that be? just curious.............
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Accounting (Education)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC - Having [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 04:51
I went with D but after that explanation... I cant argue.
Re: SC - Having   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2011, 04:51