Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [256]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [68]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [62]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [5]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make it any mo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
D it is. A,C have SV issues and E is awkward.

Between B and D "because it is genetically engineered" vs "being genetically engineered" I am leaning towards D here after relying on my ear .. +1 for a good question.

YihWei wrote:
Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to become an invasive or persistent weed, according to a decade-long study published in the journal Nature.

A) because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to
B) because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
C) being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will
D) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
E) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that it? will
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make it any mo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Ditto.."they" plants are plural..but we have singular weed..A and C and E are out..

B is just very wordy..D is concise

bsd_lover wrote:
D it is. A,C have SV issues and E is awkward.

Between B and D "because it is genetically engineered" vs "being genetically engineered" I am leaning towards D here after relying on my ear .. +1 for a good question.

YihWei wrote:
Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to become an invasive or persistent weed, according to a decade-long study published in the journal Nature.

A) because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to
B) because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
C) being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will
D) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
E) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that it? will
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [12]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

A. because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to
B. because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
C. being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will
D. being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
E. being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that it will become

Format of the sentence - Independent clause, dependent clause

A - they, it , plants -- awkward
B - sounds OK
C - pronoun issue - it and plants
D - sounds OK
E - wordy and awkward

On exam day I would have picked up B.
But I remember reading that GMAT folks generally doesnt like to use pronoun first for the subject of the sentence before introducing the actual noun. This is the case in B.

I think the answer here is D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [13]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
calvinhobbes wrote:
Please explain the answer choices.
Thank you.

A. because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to
B. because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
C. being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will
E. being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that it will become

IMO 'D'

The usage of 'being' is perfectly fine here. Being is usually redundant in the following cases:

being + noun
being+ verb

'being' + adverb is the correct usage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Kudos
Answer should be D.

D makes a better choice because in B, the pronoun is used first(before the actual noun).

the use of being is not wrong, but it is usually not preferred. In this case, choice D is a better than choice B.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8531 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
hanumayamma wrote:
Hi quiet888,

Simply is an adverb and as you know adverbs modifies verbs or other adverbs.

In this question, we have two choices:

Simply because or Simply being

"because" acts as conjunction and "being" functions as verb.

So 3-2 split choice narrowed C,D and E.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

I dont agree with that.
An adverb can modify almost everything except nouns.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [6]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
noboru wrote:
I dont agree with that.
An adverb can modify almost everything except nouns.

Adverbs are words that modify:

*a whole clause.
*a verb (He drove slowly. — How did he drive?)
*an adjective (He drove a very fast car. — How fast was his car?)
*another adverb (She moved quite slowly down the aisle. — How slowly did she move?)
As we will see, adverbs often tell when, where, why, or under what conditions something happens or happened. Adverbs frequently end in -ly; however, many words and phrases not ending in -ly serve an adverbial function and an -ly ending is not a guarantee that a word is an adverb. The words lovely, lonely, motherly, friendly, neighborly, for instance, are adjectives.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [4]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
More about adverbs.

ADVERB OF MANNER

Adverbs of manner modify a verb to describe the way the action is done.

EG: She did the work carefully.

('Carefully' modifies the verb to describe the way the work was done, as opposed to quickly, carelessly, etc..)

ADVERB OF PLACE or LOCATION

Adverbs of place show where the action is done.

EG: They live locally.

ADVERB OF TIME

Adverbs of time show when an action is done, or the duration or frequency.

EG: He did it yesterday. (When)

They are permanently busy. (Duration)

She never does it. (Frequency)

ADVERB OF DEGREE

Adverbs of degree increase or decrease the effect of the verb.

EG: I completely agree with you. (This increases the effect of the verb, whereas 'partially' would decrease it.)

ADVERBS MODIFYING ADJECTIVES

An adjective can be modified by an adverb, which precedes the adjective, except 'enough' which comes after.

EG: That's really good.

It was a terribly difficult time for all of us.

It wasn't good enough. ('Enough' comes after the adjective.)

ADVERBS MODIFYING ADVERBS

An adverb can modify another. As with adjectives, the adverb precedes the one it is modifying with 'enough' being the exception again.

EG: She did it really well.

He didn't come last night, funnily enough.

ADVERBS MODIFYING NOUNS

Adverbs can modify nouns to indicate time or place.

EG: The concert tomorrow

EG: The room upstairs

ADVERBS MODIFYING NOUN PHRASES

Some adverbs of degree can modify noun phrases.

EG: We had quite a good time.

They're such good friends.

Quite; rather; such; what (What a day!) can be used in this way.

ADVERBS MODIFYING DETERMINERS, NUMERALS & PRONOUNS

Adverbs such as almost; nearly; hardly; about, etc., can be used:

EG: Almost everybody came in the end.

source: https://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/adverb.html

I do not believe that adverbs modify nouns, but this is what the source stated, so I would be cautious about this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4585 [10]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Kudos