Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 03:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When three Everett-owned Lightning-built airplanes crashes

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
When three Everett-owned Lightning-built airplanes crashes [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 00:29
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:50) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 26 sessions
When three Everett-owned Lightning-built airplanes crashes in the same month, the Everett company
ordered three new Lightning-built airplanes as replacements. This decision surprised many in the airline industry
because, ordinarily when a product is involved in accidents, users become reluctant to buy that product.
Which of the following, if true, provides the best indication that the Everett company’s decision was logically well
supported?
(A) Although during the previous year only one Lightning-built airplane crashed, competing manufacturers had a
perfect safety record.
(B) The Lightning-built airplanes crashed due to pilot error, but because of the excellent quality of the planes
there were many survivors.
(C) The Federal Aviation Association issued new guidelines for airlines in order to standardize safety
requirements governing preflight inspections.
(D) Consumer advocates pressured two major airlines into purchasing safer airplanes so that the public would
be safer while flying.
(E) Many Lightning Airplane Company employees had to be replaced because they found jobs with the
competition.

Source: OG10

OA later some discussion

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Everett-owned Lightning-built airplanes [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 07:51
+1 for B as it explains that the pilots were responsible for crash and further strengthen the company's decision by explaining the excellent quality of the planes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
GPA: 3.3
WE: Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: Everett-owned Lightning-built airplanes [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 13:47
When three Everett-owned Lightning-built airplanes crashes in the same month, the Everett company
ordered three new Lightning-built airplanes as replacements. This decision surprised many in the airline industry
because, ordinarily when a product is involved in accidents, users become reluctant to buy that product.
Which of the following, if true, provides the best indication that the Everett company’s decision was logically well
supported?

(A) Although during the previous year only one Lightning-built airplane crashed, competing manufacturers had a
perfect safety record.
(B) The Lightning-built airplanes crashed due to pilot error, but because of the excellent quality of the planes
there were many survivors.
(C) The Federal Aviation Association issued new guidelines for airlines in order to standardize safety
requirements governing preflight inspections.
(D) Consumer advocates pressured two major airlines into purchasing safer airplanes so that the public would
be safer while flying.
(E) Many Lightning Airplane Company employees had to be replaced because they found jobs with the
competition.

A) The first part of this answer could be a logical reason to buy new places but the second part is not. It should not matter if the competition had a perfect record unless they used Lightning-built airplanes. LOL.

B) I agree with the above post because the company must have felt the airplanes were good quality to order more after three accidents in the same month.

C) I do not see how new FAA guidelines for preflight safety would influence the company's decision to purchase new planes after a crash.

D) This answer would not support the company's decision to purchase new airplanes. The consumer advocates should be pressuring Everett because they had three crashes in one month.

E) The question asked for the best indication to logically support the company's decision and employees being replaced would not support it. Employees leaving could affect the production of new airplanes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Everett-owned Lightning-built airplanes [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 01:10
easy one...picked B in 52 secs

SKK

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-15-2011

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Everett-owned Lightning-built airplanes [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 08:37
I go with B.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Everett-owned Lightning-built airplanes [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 06:11
A ) is negative to question
B) is yes
C ) not in scope
D ) Not in scope
E ) not in scope

So b it is
SVP
SVP
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: When three Everett-owned Lightning-built airplanes crashes [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 18:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: When three Everett-owned Lightning-built airplanes crashes [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 02:58
Just want to clear a doubt. What if the airlines hired new pilots after the old ones left the job, and the new pilots weren't experienced enough to fly the planes, and this caused the accidents ?? I guess B states the incompetence of pilots more clearly and the explanation I gave here might be a bit too far fetched in the present scenario.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 203

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 5

Re: When three Everett-owned Lightning-built airplanes crashes [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 07:07
Expert's post
f2005007 wrote:
Just want to clear a doubt. What if the airlines hired new pilots after the old ones left the job, and the new pilots weren't experienced enough to fly the planes, and this caused the accidents ?? I guess B states the incompetence of pilots more clearly and the explanation I gave here might be a bit too far fetched in the present scenario.

Yeah - you are heading down an unnecessary path. The argument wants to know why the company is making a good decision by purchasing the same planes that crashed in the last year. The focus in on the planes. The correct answer suggests that the planes are worth purchasing again because the plane wasn't at fault and in fact the plane was responsible for protecting the lives of the passengers. Stay focused on the key elements of the arguments - it's easy to get sidetracked.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: When three Everett-owned Lightning-built airplanes crashes   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2014, 07:07