Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When to get a Phd

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
When to get a Phd [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 15:42
Hello friends,

So I was wondering,

I'm interested in getting a phd in marketing, and I've just graduated from college with a B.S., B.A., and B.B.A. (Incidentally, my BBA is also in marketing). I have no work experience by am taking a year off to go work for teach for america campaign. I was looking at phd profiles, and most people have masters or years of experience. But nowhere does is say that those are requirements.

So as a college graduate, should I go through with applying for phd admission for 2011 fall? As a fresh college graduate, how can I increase my chances of getting admission. (My gpa is around a 3.5 and I am taking my gmat this upcoming week).

Thanks =)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: When to get a Phd [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 16:51
Well you're right that most places will list a masters and years of experience as preferred but not required - this leaves the door open for anyone with a Bachelor's to have a chance at admissions. The question to you is how would you stand out from other applicants that do have work experience and masters degrees - your application essentially needs to come to an equillibrium with those individuals so you would have to be extraordinary in GPA, GMAT, LOR's, have an amazing SOP, etc. A 3.5 GPA isn't spectacular so you can help your cause a lot by scxoring 750+ on the GMAT. Personally, absent that kind of performance, I think your best course of action is to consider a master's degree where you can get involved with research in your field. Not sure how much marketing programs value work experience. You can always apply but depending on what schools you're interested in, I'm sorry to say I don't know that your chances will be too good. Best of luck on the GMAT though!
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: When to get a Phd [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 09:58
Is the GMAT generally required to get your PhD in Business as well? Dang... so if I go get my MBA and then years later want to get PhD, I may have to take that beast again!? lol.

Good luck on the GMAT though!!!!! :)

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

Re: When to get a Phd [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 06:47
Always a difficult question. You are thinking a few steps ahead, which isn't bad - Are you familiar with the admission stats for decent Ph.D. programs? Your first step is to get yourself into the best Ph.D. programs in Marketing. Please revisit this question then - perhaps you will have answered your own question by then :) .
Re: When to get a Phd   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2011, 06:47