Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

apes

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 521
Location: Indonesia
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

apes [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 17:40
Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so were probably without language, a shortcoming that may explain why they were supplanted by our own species.

(A) Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes
(B) Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape’s
(C) The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape’s
(D) The Neanderthal’s vocal tracts resembled the apes’
(E) The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 649
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: apes [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 18:00
Excellent explanation:
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t15082

Last edited by eyunni on 20 Nov 2007, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 649
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: apes [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 18:00
deleted post.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: apes [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 22:22
deleted
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: apes [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 05:24
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so were probably without language, a shortcoming that may explain why they were supplanted by our own species.

(A) Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes
(B) Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape’s
(C) The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape’s
(D) The Neanderthal’s vocal tracts resembled the apes’
(E) The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes


Will go for 'A'
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 68
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 08:51
A....were is in the second part agrees with the subject only in A
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 09:07
Thanks eyunni! for the link. Its great explanation.

Amar thanks .. its good one.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2007
Posts: 182
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 09:10
B.

Subject of the sentence is Neanderthals as the subject needs to make sense in both parts of the compound sentence ( before and after the AND). Vocal tracts can not be the subject in the second part of the sentence b/c logically it makes no sense - Vocal tracts were probably without language? No. Neanderthals were without language.

It's not A b/c vocal tract is singular and does not match the plural THOSE in "those of the apes".
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 521
Location: Indonesia
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 15:43
kalpvriksha14 wrote:
A....were is in the second part agrees with the subject only in A


Here were refers to Neanderthals and not vocal tract... while those incorrectly refers to vocal tract in A

OA is B

Amar
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 18:31
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
kalpvriksha14 wrote:
A....were is in the second part agrees with the subject only in A


Here were refers to Neanderthals and not vocal tract... while those incorrectly refers to vocal tract in A

OA is B

Amar


Confused...a million times...

Neanderthals had a vocal tract - is a stand alone or independent clause. In which vocal tract is an object.

That - modifier - begins non-restrictive clause (which is not acceptable but not a blunder as well)

resembled those of - modifies indirectly the vocal tract to say that vocal tract matches

Please correct me if I am wrong. those should refer vocal tracts
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2500
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: apes [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 21:23
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so were probably without language, a shortcoming that may explain why they were supplanted by our own species.

(A) Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes
(B) Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape’s
(C) The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape’s
(D) The Neanderthal’s vocal tracts resembled the apes’
(E) The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes


I never go t thhid question before but i guess i got it today.

(A) Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes
(B) Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape’s
(C) The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape’s
(D) The Neanderthal’s vocal tracts resembled the apes’
(E) The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes

E is most difficult and confusing because it look correct but it is not. though it gramatically correct but has wrong expression.

for ex: "The human has a nose not resembling a cow's......"
Here we do not say "The noses of humans ........."

So E is wrong, and remains B
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 22:13
Beyond700 wrote:
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
kalpvriksha14 wrote:
A....were is in the second part agrees with the subject only in A


Here were refers to Neanderthals and not vocal tract... while those incorrectly refers to vocal tract in A

OA is B

Amar


Confused...a million times...

Neanderthals had a vocal tract - is a stand alone or independent clause. In which vocal tract is an object.

That - modifier - begins non-restrictive clause (which is not acceptable but not a blunder as well)

resembled those of - modifies indirectly the vocal tract to say that vocal tract matches

Please correct me if I am wrong. those should refer vocal tracts


Oops!! sorry for the trouble.

It is plural - singular mismatch. a vocal tract - singular, while those - plural.

Agree with 'B'
  [#permalink] 21 Nov 2007, 22:13
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Haas Ap w/ Low GPA? dave785 1 29 Jul 2013, 08:27
Any gmat preppers from AP? BlueRobin 0 20 Jun 2011, 09:47
If #p# = ap3+ bp – 1............ kairoshan 2 18 Nov 2009, 20:44
as if AP wasn't enough somethingbetter 3 19 Sep 2007, 11:58
ps - ap christoph 2 25 Sep 2005, 07:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

apes

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.