GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 May 2020, 13:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Re: Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2019, 13:53
Also answered on our Ask Me Anything About SC thread, but reposting here in case it helps somebody:

09173140521 wrote:
Hi Mr.Charles
I would be happy if you answer this question.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/neanderthals ... l#p2335090

Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so were probably without language, a shortcoming that may explain why they were supplanted by our own species.
correct =(B) Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape’s

please explain how "resembling" can modify a thing in the past ??????? I SAW "-ing" modifier only in present tense be correct and many question wrong because of using -ing modifier in past .......BUT in this case it use for past tense !

in other word = "a vocal tract that resemble an ape's" or "a vocal tract that resembled an ape's" which is correct.? :please
tnx in advance.

I think I see the confusion. The key here is that "-ing" words such as "resembling" are usually not verbs at all. (They can be verbs, of course, but that's not the case here.) In this context, "resembling" is an adjective, just modifying "a vocal tract." And adjectives NEVER have a tense, so you really don't have to worry about the timeline at all. It's fine to say "a vocal tract resembling an ape's" -- and it would also be fine to say "a vocal tract that resembled an ape's."

This article on the various uses of "-ing" words might help with this issue. And here's another example of the word "resembling" in a really tough GMATPrep question.

I hope this helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2020, 07:13
reply2spg wrote:
Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so were probably without language, a shortcoming that may explain why they were supplanted by our own species.

(A) Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes

(B) Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape’s

(C) The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape’s

(D) The Neanderthal’s vocal tracts resembled the apes’

(E) The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes

My POE:

[....] and so were probably without language [....] - the subject has to be Neanderthals, it cannot be the vocal tracts.

Hence (C), (D) and (E) are out.

(A) Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes - vocal tract is singular and those of is plural. The comparison is wrong. It should be "vocal tract that resembled that of the apes"

Hence (A) is out.

IMO (B)
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2020, 03:34
In (E), isn't it "those of" referring to "vocal tracts", and if we replace it in the original sentence, it compares correctly?
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2020, 06:59
lakshya14 wrote:
In (E), isn't it "those of" referring to "vocal tracts", and if we replace it in the original sentence, it compares correctly?

Agree. However, E seems to suggest that the vocal tracts were probably without language, while the intended meaning is that Neanderthals were probably without language (in any case, vocal tracts cannot have a language).
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2020, 15:02
Yes, and if we look further, we also see that "they" were supplanted by our species. If we make vocal tracts the subject, then the default interpretation is that "they" means vocal tracts. We want "they" to refer to Neanderthals, so it's best to make them the subject of the sentence rather than part of a modifier.

EducationAisle wrote:
lakshya14 wrote:

Agree. However, E seems to suggest that the vocal tracts were probably without language, while the intended meaning is that Neanderthals were probably without language (in any case, vocal tracts cannot have a language).

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2020, 06:29
reply2spg wrote:

(A) Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes

(B) Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape’s

(C) The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape’s

(D) The Neanderthal’s vocal tracts resembled the apes’

(E) The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes

Looking at the question, I questioned Who/What (so) were probably without language ? And the obvious answer is "Neanderthals".

Thus, I could eliminate C, D and E. And in between option A and option B, Option A has pronoun error. Therefore B is correct.

Thanks !
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.2
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 12:29
HI GMATNinja , Charles, can we have a detailed explanation to this problem?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so   [#permalink] 24 May 2020, 12:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics