GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 05 Dec 2019, 13:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 00:10
Meisme wrote:
Can anyone please explain to me why so can refer to the subject? I never see "so" can use as a pronoun

"so" referring to subject? Which option are you talking about?

"so" in the original sentence is used in the sense of "hence", similar to the following sentence?

I had worked hard and so, scored well.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Intern
Intern
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2019, 19:32
(A) Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes - those is plural and first part is singular

(B) Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape’s - resembling an ape's(vocal tract) use of ellipses

(C) The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape’s - plural to singular and issue same as E

(D) The Neanderthal’s vocal tracts resembled the apes’ - vocal tracts look like apes

(E) The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes - the sentence structure is not proper as non underlined clause starts with so
which is Neanderthals so here the sentence should start with Neanderthals only.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 04:58
Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so were probably without language, a shortcoming that may explain why they were supplanted by our own species.

(A) Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes --> "vocal tract" is singular, so use of "those" to refer to "vocal tract" is wrong, it should be "that"

(B) Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape’s --> correct

(C) The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape’s --> doesn't make sense: The vocal tracts were without language, make sense: Neanderthals were without language

(D) The Neanderthal’s vocal tracts resembled the apes’ --> same as C

(E) The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes --> same as C
Intern
Intern
B
Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2019, 19:45
In option B
Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape’s

Is it not a factual information to present the sentence in simple present tense as

Neanderthals have a vocal tract resembling an ape’s and so were .......

Can some one clarify pls?

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 04:24
Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so were probably without language, a shortcoming that may explain why they were supplanted by our own species.

Split 1 - "vocal tracts...without language" is illogical
(C) The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape’s and so were probably without language
(D) The Neanderthal’s vocal tracts resembled the apes’ and so were probably without language
(E) The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes and so were probably without language

Split 2 - SV Agreement issue
(A) Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes

Those is incorrect as we are referring to the one vocal tract
Neanderthals also had vocal tracts

(B) Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape’s

B is correct
BSchool Moderator
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 11:08
I've probably gotten this particular question wrong multiple times. Now when I look at the question, it looks super easy. Here are my 2 cents on the question!

(A) Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes
----- those refers to the singular vocal tract, thus incorrect

C, D, and E have modifier problems. Looking at the non underlined part, you know the subject must be Neanderthals and not their vocal tracts.

(C) The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape’s

(D) The Neanderthal’s vocal tracts resembled the apes’

(E) The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes

Hence, Option B is the correct answer!
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 08:02

could sb explain how "resembling" can modify a thing in the past ??????? I SAW "-ing" modifier only in present tense be correct and many question wrong because of using -ing modifier in past .......BUT in this case it use for past tense !

I mean= "a vocal tract that resemble an ape's" or "a vocal tract that resembled an ape's"
tnx in advance.

:please :please :please :please :please :please :please
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2019, 09:15
I didn't understand the answer at all. Please help.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2019, 09:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics