GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 06:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 17:03

Ask me anything about GMAT Sentence Correction and grammar

Hello! I'm Charles Bibilos, GMAT Club's resident Verbal Expert, and a GMAT teacher and tutor since... nevermind, I'll feel old if I tell you. :tongue_opt3

This thread is designed to be an absolute free-for-all on SC, and you're welcome to ask me absolutely anything. If your question is related to a specific question or a topic, please provide a link and a bit about what you want me to address.

And if you're looking for very general advice on how to improve your SC skills, try these links first:

Just be warned that non-official questions can be damaging on verbal, so I might be a bit dismissive of flawed, non-official questions. But still: it's an Ask Me Anything thread, so you're obviously welcome to ask me anything. Especially if it involves food. (Because I know you were going to ask: yes, caterpillars are indeed delicious when prepared properly. You're welcome.)

(Edit: because there's a lot of randomness in my soul -- and also have been in the middle of a 10,000-km move -- I'll answer these questions in no particular order. I'll answer them all eventually, though!)

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Most Helpful Community Reply
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 10:46
Hi Charles GMATNinja,

Ellipsis-
This is a case of ellipsis in comparison. In this, some words omitted from the sentence to make it more concise. Both noun and verb can be omitted. The omitted words should be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form.

-"Siri's AI capabilities are better than Alexa's (AI capabilities). - Correct! ("AI capabilities" is implied)

- Siri is smarter than Alexa (is). - Correct! ("is" is implied)

Siri is smarter than Alexa and Cortana are -- Here we CANNOT omit "are" since the verb in the earlier part is "is"?

Q1-For ellipsis, is it NECESSARY that the omitted words should be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form?

Q2- Also, are there any other rules/exceptions for ellipses other than two listed below.

The omission of a noun for concision is straightforward. Just make sure that the 2 nouns in the sentence can be logically compared. But there are certain exceptions when you are deciding -

1. Tense Shift-
If the verb tense changes from the first to the second half of the sentence, then the verb must not be omitted in the second half.

· You look more beautiful this year than last year. - Incorrect

· You look more beautiful this year than you did last year.- Correct

2. Meaning Ambiguity-
Do not omit the verb if doing so will make the sentence’s meaning ambiguous.

I love my dog more than my friend. - Incorrect -- ambiguity

·I love my dog more than I love my friend.- Correct!
·I love my dog more than my friend does.- Correct!

Q3 - Can you please write about the uses of WITH ?
Manager
Manager
P
WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 18:43
Hello Charles,

Can you tell us how to increase Speed and Accuracy in SC ?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 20:43
Quote:
Scientists claim that the discovery of the first authenticated mammal bones in amber could provide important clues of determining, in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies.

(A) of determining, in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies

(B) in the determination of how and when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals

(C) to determine how mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies and when they did

(D) for determining when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals and how they were

(E) for determining how and when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies

OA = E

Hi GMATNinja ,
I have some queries here.
Quote:
(C) to determine how mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies and when they did

I think there is no problem with "they" as according to parallelism , "they" must refer to mammals only and "to determine" is referring to the purpose for doing.

Quote:
(E) for determining how and when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies

Is there ellipsis here like :
for determining how (mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies) and when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies .
Is it right to have ellipsis before it has been stated in a sentence.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ESSEC '22
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 21:43
Hi GMATNinja,

I have my GMAT exam this Friday. I'm pretty decent at SC, but I tend to make a few silly errors whenever I'm nervous or under time pressure. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do during these last couple of days to ensure I can put in my best for SC. I know I am capable of scoring at least 10 right on SC, but just need to make sure that I am not committing silly mistakes.

P.S. - I am a huge fan of your youtube videos and your posts on GMATClub. They have really helped me up my verbal game and I thought you should know that. :)
RC Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 09:52
Hello Charles,

Good Morning. Could you please explain the options for the Q below :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/traffic-safe ... 15768.html

PS : I am sure the explanations are amazing there , but still missing your style of comparison explanations . :-(
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 12:28
GMATNinja wrote:

Ask me Anything about GMAT Sentence Correction and Grammar

Hello - I am Charles, GMAT Club's resident Verbal Expert. I welcome your questions about SC - please do not hesitate to post your questions directly here or if they are related to a specific question or a topic, please provide a link and a bit about what you want me to address.

Thank you!

Superb initiative, sire!
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V32
GPA: 2.98

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 22:35
Hi Charles,

Thank you so much for doing this. I do have a question and I am hoping that you will be able to give me some tips.

When I am doing practice questions of SC, things are usually fine. I can easily spot a split or an error and eliminate the wrong choices easily. However, when I am doing the real GMAT, questions seem much harder for me and it takes me way longer to do so. And most of the time, I don't even think I choose the right answer.

TL;DR, the real GMAT SC questions feel much harder than the practice or OG ones.

How can I improve this? Considering that I have done OG & Verbal twice and gone through all questions. I think most of the real GMAT questions are more about the meaning issues instead of the grammar issues.... I am still stuck at V28 and it really drags my total score down :(

Thank you again!
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 23:03
https://gmatclub.com/forum/rather-like- ... l#p2166429

Can u please help with option d? here should who not be whom .

here subject of verb shares is he i.e Mcbain so whom must be referring to object McCain.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 15:17
Hi GMAT Ninja,

Please explain the difference in usage of WHICH and THAT. I am really struggling with it.
Manager
Manager
P
GPA: 3.95
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 20:42
Hi GMATNinja,

I have a query on Parallel construction with "not only... but also..." in the following question from GMAT Club Grammar book:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/german-engin ... 43521.html

In the above question/link, the OA is E which when replaced in the original sentence would read the following: German engineered cars are not only fast but also of precision quality.

I do realize, that among the options given, it might be the best option to pick, but for my understanding, wanted to confirm if this is the correct usage in the above sentence? I read in the same GC Grammar book that "not only" and "but also" connect the same elements of speech, i.e. connect a noun to a noun, an adverb to an adverb, a prepositional phrase to another prepositional phrase. So, according to that logic, fast is an adverb (correct me if I am wrong) and of precision quality is a prepositional phrase (correct me if I am wrong). So how would the correct usage in this case look like?

Thanks in advance!
nkin
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V32
GPA: 2.98

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 01:35
ashijain wrote:
Hi GMAT Ninja,

Please explain the difference in usage of WHICH and THAT. I am really struggling with it.

Hi, I know that I am not GMAT Ninja, but I happened to be studying about this a few days ago and thought my notes could help you!

To understand the usage of Which and That, you first need to understand restrictive clauses and non-restrictive clauses.

Restrictive Clauses:
1. CANNOT be omitted from the sentence without changing the meaning.
2. are always vital modifiers.
3. Not separated from the sentence.
4. Who, which and THAT can be used.

Non-Restrictive Clauses:
1. Can be omitted from the sentence without changing the meaning.
2. Are always non-vital modifiers.
3. Separated from the sentence with the comma.
4. Who, which, and who can be used. But THAT CANNOT be used.

For example,
The guy who is giving the speech on the stage is my dad.
This is a restrictive clause because
1. "Who..." is not separated from the sentence.
2. If "who.." were removed, the meaning of the sentence would be affected. (The guy who is giving the speech on the stage is my dad is still correct grammatically, but the meaning is different)

Jason, who's traveling in Japan now, is going to college next month.
This is a non-restrictive clause because
1. The "who..." modifier is separated from the sentence by commas.
2. If "who..." were removed, the meaning of the sentence stays the same. (Jason, who's traveling in Japan now,is going to college next month.)

Basically, "Which" could be removed without changing the meaning of the sentence and be separated by commas. "That", if removed, will change the meaning of the sentence, and "THAT", when used as a modifier, should not be separated by commas.

*I mentioned vital & non-vital modifier is to establish that vital noun modifier can come between a noun and non-vital modifier.
This is why sometimes the antecedent of the relative pronoun clause isn’t the immediate noun or noun phrase, because the noun was followed by a Vital Noun Modifier.
I killed the snake with scales, which lived in the burrow behind my house.
Since “with scales” cannot be moved elsewhere and it doesn’t cause ambiguity in meaning, we know that “which” modifies the snake.

Hope this helps x
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 06:05
Hi Ninja,

I have 2 doubts on usage of "that" and "including".

Can those 2 words jump a preceding prepositional phrase to refer a Noun ?

Posted from my mobile device
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 21:56
Turkish wrote:
Hello Charles,

Can you tell us how to increase Speed and Accuracy in SC ?

Turkish -- and anybody else who has this same question -- I've added some links to the original post above. To be honest, there's no easy answer to the epic question you just asked, but those links are about the best we can do in a forum post or a video. I hope they help a bit!

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 22:04
nithinjohn wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

I have my GMAT exam this Friday. I'm pretty decent at SC, but I tend to make a few silly errors whenever I'm nervous or under time pressure. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do during these last couple of days to ensure I can put in my best for SC. I know I am capable of scoring at least 10 right on SC, but just need to make sure that I am not committing silly mistakes.

P.S. - I am a huge fan of your youtube videos and your posts on GMATClub. They have really helped me up my verbal game and I thought you should know that. :)

Thank you so much for the kind words, nithinjohn!

And I feel terrible for answering this so slowly, since your test presumably happened earlier today. For whatever it's worth: it sounds like your issue isn't really how "good" you are fundamentally at SC. It sounds like you know what you're doing. And as much as anything, you just need to stick to your technique, trust your knowledge and training, and be supremely calm and methodical as you execute your process of elimination.

You might also want to check out this chat transcript about test anxiety. You're absolutely not alone in struggling with nerves during the exam.

I hope that things went wonderfully for you today!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 23:23
nkin wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

I have a query on Parallel construction with "not only... but also..." in the following question from GMAT Club Grammar book:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/german-engin ... 43521.html

In the above question/link, the OA is E which when replaced in the original sentence would read the following: German engineered cars are not only fast but also of precision quality.

I do realize, that among the options given, it might be the best option to pick, but for my understanding, wanted to confirm if this is the correct usage in the above sentence? I read in the same GC Grammar book that "not only" and "but also" connect the same elements of speech, i.e. connect a noun to a noun, an adverb to an adverb, a prepositional phrase to another prepositional phrase. So, according to that logic, fast is an adverb (correct me if I am wrong) and of precision quality is a prepositional phrase (correct me if I am wrong). So how would the correct usage in this case look like?

Thanks in advance!
nkin

For starters, you definitely don't ever want to accept a non-official question as an authority on the GMAT's treatment of grammar. You know that I love the fine people who wrote that GMAT Club grammar book, but please always take the examples with a huge grain of salt. (And yes, I've written a few questions for the GMAT Club tests. Please take those with a huge grain of salt, too.)

For whatever it's worth, "fast" is describing "German-engineered cars" in this particular case, so it's an adjective. The phrase "of precision quality" is a prepositional phrase, but it's also modifying the noun "German-engineered cars." So both "fast" and "of precision quality" are adjectival modifiers, and in this case, they're also acting as subject complements (if you have no idea what a "subject complement" is, please disregard that last phrase -- it really isn't important).

I can't think of any official GMAT sentences that use an adjective ("fast") and a prepositional phrase ("of precision quality") in the same parallel construction, but you could argue that it's OK here, because they're both modifying the same noun.

But again: I can't really point to any official GMAT questions that look anything like this one. So don't worry about it too much.

I hope this helps!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 23:28
Hi Gmatninza,

After reading so many rules and tricks,Still not quite comfortable with solving SC.
What’s the right approach for SC Questions and how to build a strong foundation for solving SC?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2018, 00:58
Hi GMAT Ninja,

Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance, acting as sentinels and to sound a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the cave for new food and roosting sites.

(A) acting as sentinels and to sound

(B) acting as sentinels and sounding

(C) to act as sentinels and sound

(D) to act as sentinels and to sound

(E) to act as a sentinel sounding

This question's OA is B. My question is what "sounding" functions as? It can't be the parallelism of "acting" and " scouting" because of 2 "and" preceded "sounding" and "scouting". Therefore it must be a noun and parallel with "sentinels".
CR Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2018, 06:11
Hello GMATNinja

Can you please help in explaining this Question

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-computer ... ml#p311738

How is E better than C?

Thanks

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 01:34
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival???s month.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival???s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival???s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival

Hi, Ninja, I have seen all the posts about this question, but I still have to ask about the use of "in that". What does it mean? Can you give me a few examples about "in that' ? Thank you so much!!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2018, 01:34

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9    Next  [ 168 posts ] 

GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics