Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 08:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Christopher Colombus

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Posts: 67
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Christopher Colombus [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2005, 16:49
1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

A. devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere


B. devastation and enslavement in the name of progress by which native peoples of the Western Hemisphere decimated


C. devastating and enslaving in the name of progress those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated.


D. devastating and enslaving those native peoples of the western Hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated.


E. the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2003
Posts: 854
Location: Hyderabad
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2005, 17:05
will choose E (explanation in a moment)
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2005, 17:38
I liked this question. Combination of Meaning and Subject-Verb Agreement.

(B)(C)(D) are plain wrong.

Choice is between has and have i.e. what does "that" modifies. Does this modify Progress or "Devastation and Enslavement".

(A) says : .. Progress (that) has decimated the native ppl, which is clearly wrong.
(E) says : .. devastation and enslavement.. have dicimated tha native ppl.
Correct.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2005, 18:32
I have seen this one...I chose "E" but I think OA was "A" :?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 870
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2005, 18:33
I will go with 'A'

jpv, I see your point but isn't 'that' modifying progress and not 'Devastation and Enslavement'
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2005, 18:49
I diagree if the answer is (A).

rthothad wrote:
I will go with 'A'

jpv, I see your point but isn't 'that' modifying progress and not 'Devastation and Enslavement'


That is why I am choosing (E). Two things will confirm that "that" modifies (de.. & en..)
1. have
2. in the name of progress (Prepositional phrase). One of those cases when "that" does not modify immediate noun.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 870
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 00:13
jpv wrote:
I diagree if the answer is (A).

rthothad wrote:
I will go with 'A'

jpv, I see your point but isn't 'that' modifying progress and not 'Devastation and Enslavement'


That is why I am choosing (E). Two things will confirm that "that" modifies (de.. & en..)
1. have
2. in the name of progress (Prepositional phrase). One of those cases when "that" does not modify immediate noun.


In that case my question is going to be when will you know to choose not to apply the rule that 'that' does not modify the immediate noun.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 00:40
A) should be out because the "process" cannot decimate people. there is no rule behind it. its just about the meaning. so its fine that "that" does not modifies the immediate noun, because otherwise it would change the idea of the meaning.
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 06:36
christoph wrote:
A) should be out because the "process" cannot decimate people. there is no rule behind it. its just about the meaning. so its fine that "that" does not modifies the immediate noun, because otherwise it would change the idea of the meaning.


Good explanation, I guess it is imp to keep in mind what relative pronouns can logically refer to and not to take them as a rule.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2004
Posts: 20
Location: Orange County, CA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 10:34
What is the OA and where did this question come from?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 230
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 13:03
between A and E.....it's E for me....

For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

Here the "has" corresponds to "devastation" AND "enslavement"...hence this "has" has to be "have" :-))
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 13:06
rthothad wrote:
jpv wrote:
I diagree if the answer is (A).

rthothad wrote:
I will go with 'A'

jpv, I see your point but isn't 'that' modifying progress and not 'Devastation and Enslavement'


That is why I am choosing (E). Two things will confirm that "that" modifies (de.. & en..)
1. have
2. in the name of progress (Prepositional phrase). One of those cases when "that" does not modify immediate noun.


In that case my question is going to be when will you know to choose not to apply the rule that 'that' does not modify the immediate noun.


I suppose we can view "in the name of progress" as a middle man clause that is irrelevant (just to dress it up), especially as the two actions (dev and ensl) are the main attraction. Not sure if this make sense.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 15:00
christoph wrote:
A) should be out because the "process" cannot decimate people. there is no rule behind it. its just about the meaning. so its fine that "that" does not modifies the immediate noun, because otherwise it would change the idea of the meaning.

exactly
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 870
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 17:21
Now I got to unlearn something that I learned here - 'that' does not always refer to the immediate noun preceding it instead make a logical conclusion about its antecedent.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Christopher Colombus [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 18:41
perezhan wrote:
1.For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has come to personify devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.

A. devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that has decimated native peoples of the Western Hemisphere


B. devastation and enslavement in the name of progress by which native peoples of the Western Hemisphere decimated


C. devastating and enslaving in the name of progress those native peoples of the Western Hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated.


D. devastating and enslaving those native peoples of the western Hemisphere which in the name of progress are decimated.


E. the devastation and enslavement in the name of progress that have decimated the native peoples of the Western Hemisphere.


one more for E.

'that' referred to 'devastation and enslavement'.

OA, please
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 35
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

Re: Christopher Colombus [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2013, 00:55
The OA is actually.

has decimated is supposed to modify in the name of, which takes the singular form.
Re: Christopher Colombus   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2013, 00:55
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Last seven questions for Christoph! gamjatang 5 28 Dec 2005, 19:36
Twelve questions for Christoph! gamjatang 7 28 Dec 2005, 04:55
Seven questions for christoph! gamjatang 7 26 Dec 2005, 16:44
For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has IWT801 7 09 Dec 2005, 07:10
For many revisionist historians, Christopher Columbus has ttar 7 04 Apr 2005, 09:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Christopher Colombus

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.