Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 03:44 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [370]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Ross School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [10]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2209 [12]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [5]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Kudos
bb souvik101990
Awesome work!! Must have taken loooaaddds of work but kudos to your ingenuity!! :)

I liked: It was no-hassle, no redirecting me anywhere, no hanging, easy-to-use for our users and also has the option to display for ALL-SCHOOLS as well. I guess a lot of thought already went into the use-case analysis. I will think of some suggestions as and when I get an idea.

I wished: Much of the user pool will love to get insights into the data and chances for other Top 25+ schools. I am sure this will be a work-in-progress and I am open to help if there is something!

Cheers again!!!

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank you for the feedback!

P.S. I heard from a few current students who mentioned that we have been harshly grading their chances (we gave them below average chances) and we are looking at adjusting some of the variables to improve accuracy, which potentially will make some folks chances slightly better. We will be tweaking accuracy over time to dial it better.

If you are a current student or someone who got admits from past seasons, please give it a whirl, and let me know your thoughts/feedback!
Thanks!
BB.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [4]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
bb wrote:
Thank you for the feedback!

P.S. I heard from a few current students who mentioned that we have been harshly grading their chances (we gave them below average chances) and we are looking at adjusting some of the variables to improve accuracy, which potentially will make some folks chances slightly better. We will be tweaking accuracy over time to dial it better.

If you are a current student or someone who got admits from past seasons, please give it a whirl, and let me know your thoughts/feedback!
Thanks!
BB.

I got 0 colleges for Above Average chances. But that's Okay I guess. I am an Indian IT Male :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Very interesting tool - would be great if there's atleast a drop-down for previous industry experience. That would also allow the algorithm to consider it while narrowing down colleges based on past preference / average admits under each industry.

Good work guys! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 296
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
My previous 2 employers were large IT giants with many B-school alums, but the current one (I just completed one year here) is a niche tech consulting firm (so consider no b-school alums). Which option is applicable for me in the 'Your Company' drop down list?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
MariaAntony wrote:
My previous 2 employers were large IT giants with many B-school alums, but the current one (I just completed one year here) is a niche tech consulting firm (so consider no b-school alums). Which option is applicable for me in the 'Your Company' drop down list?

I think that's similar to have been working at Google and then leaving for a small startup. It is clear to the AdCom that you would not have left if it was not a better opportunity or better company. Thus the brand name of the former employer does help to off-set an unknown company that's last on your resume. Same could be if you have worked for 5 years in an uknown company and then joined a big an well-known firm very recently.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Great tool. Wish I had this at the start of my application process. A few comments.

1) Can you provide a little more clarity on how background is defined? I would assume you mean ethnicity, but industry also plays a part I think.

2) I also think adding something for GPA would be helpful. As I think they showed high GPA + high GMAT adds to your chances of receiving an interview.

3) For the school portion, are you counting the specific college within the university, or the ranking of the university as a whole? AKA some school might be top 50, but their undergrad business is top 10.

4) Age bracket wise is it based on date of matriculation or date of application.

5) I personally don't mind having the grading be harsher as giving false hope is not good also. This is a "rough" outline on your chances, there is so much more to you as a candidate that could greatly affect your chances.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
MG1902 wrote:
Very interesting tool - would be great if there's atleast a drop-down for previous industry experience. That would also allow the algorithm to consider it while narrowing down colleges based on past preference / average admits under each industry.

Good work guys! :)

Honestly, I am not sure how we would be adding a lot of value by considering the industry... maybe. My thought is that 70% of applicants change their industry upon graduation and it probably does not matter if one worked in IT, Construction, or Military - they can all end up in consulting. Your industry would come in from your background (are there a lot of people from your industry applying or are you unique?).

You can look at the decision tracker and filters however, where people do indicate their background and industry where they are coming from. Just try to filter past years or the past few years - https://gmatclub.com/forum/decision-tracker.html
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
Send PM
bb I tried playing around with the tool (great idea btw!), and found that no matter what I select under 'Applications and Essays', the score doesn't change from "low". Is this a glitch?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 274
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
This is an amazing and a really helpful tool, bb! Great job!

Just wanted to understand whether the work experience and age is at the time of matriculation or at the time of application. Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
mittalbwoy wrote:
This is an amazing and a really helpful tool, bb! Great job!

Just wanted to understand whether the work experience and age is at the time of matriculation or at the time of application. Thanks!

Thank you for the question. The age and work experience are at matriculation. That's how applications consider it and how they report their student body incoming stats (GMAT, GPA, Age at matriculation, work experience at matriculation)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you for your questions and points. I have replied below in-line.

xprometheusx wrote:
Great tool. Wish I had this at the start of my application process. A few comments.

1) Can you provide a little more clarity on how background is defined? I would assume you mean ethnicity, but industry also plays a part I think.

This is really "competitiveness" - it is how over/under represented AdCom will consider you when you apply. E.g. if you are a white male banker from London, you are probably over-represented for LBS but under-represented in Kellogg for example. This depends on both your ethnicity/background but also work experience (E.g. Indian IT is a good example here for over-competitive pool that has 2 strikes against it)

Quote:
2) I also think adding something for GPA would be helpful. As I think they showed high GPA + high GMAT adds to your chances of receiving an interview.

We have considered this but decided not to for 2 main reasons: 1) GPA in the US, Europe, and Asia are reported on diff scales that are sometimes impossible to reconcile. 2) Even in the US, we found that GPA from a small state school and a school like Yale may not be comparable either unless you can say how you performed compared to your classmates, which is what we have chosen.

Quote:
3) For the school portion, are you counting the specific college within the university, or the ranking of the university as a whole? AKA some school might be top 50, but their undergrad business is top 10.

This is looking from the lens of the AdCom - e.g. first of all - is this a well known undergrad school that has a number of applicants to the BSchool? If yes, is this the "easier-to-get-into" college within the university or more competitive one? Obviously it won't matter if the answer to the first question is a "no" where AdCom knows little about the university in general but if the answer is Yes, you can definitely put Top 10 for the specific major/college.

Quote:
4) Age bracket wise is it based on date of matriculation or date of application.

Thank you. This is matriculation. I have added a clarification note into the first post.

Quote:
5) I personally don't mind having the grading be harsher as giving false hope is not good also. This is a "rough" outline on your chances, there is so much more to you as a candidate that could greatly affect your chances.

Thank you! I just did not want anyone to be frustrated or upset that we are being overly harsh. We will get nicer with time. I promise :angel:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 502 [2]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I experienced this as well, looks like a glitch bb. (At least I'd hope it is, so I could see my chances improving :lol: )

JTdaniel wrote:
bb I tried playing around with the tool (great idea btw!), and found that no matter what I select under 'Applications and Essays', the score doesn't change from "low". Is this a glitch?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi - thanks for this tool.

Questions:

1. am I unique or under-represented? I am a Mongolian born and raised female, currently in the US (came for college and got a job here). My tribal name is Chingghis (like Genghis, if that is helpful?) Not tibetan but close-enough. At the same time, central asia/eastern asia is not necessarily the minority...
Was not sure where to really place myself in the spectrum of "uniqueness". Some additional guidance in how to best evaluate background profile will help.

2. I went to one of the seven sisters schools in the US. Are these considered top 20? or top 20+? not sure which ranking is being referenced here...We do have a good # of top MBA alumnae

3. Professional experience-wise, I worked for a boutique consulting firm (management/strategy) that worked with a wide variety of clients, including Fortune 500. Will this be a medium-tier or household brand? all of our manager and above are b-school graduates (but range from Ohio Fischer to Dartmouth, Ross, INSEAD)

4. International experience: will undergrad internships and study-abroad count? also, will the fact that I am from a different (non-US) country, come into play and put me automatically in the "strong international experience" bucket? I have also worked on one really large project for an International (european) client where I got to travel for a whole year - not sure if this counts?

5. my recommenders are two very diff people - 1 is a Fischer graduate and the founder and Partner of our company who knows me well, the other is my mentor at my company who worked at the firm for 7 years and has managerial position but no MBA (she is an alum from my college) and knows me very, very well. Both will vouch for me strongly. will their combination qualify for "top notch" status or "medium"?

Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Good work, souvik101990, bb & team!

I liked the part that you've also included some subjective aspects like the application / essay quality, in addition to the tangible/quantifiable parameters.

Aligned with the point on writing skills, it may be helpful to have a similar one on 'Interviewing skills'.

We've seen a lot of strong candidates with excellent stats stumbling at that final stage.

On a related note, we have been using a similar tool called the MBA MAP (MBA Mock Application Process) for over a decade. We use a mix of data and human related inputs to analyze the candidate's profile strength and rate the level of difficulty for each of the top 100 bschools. Here's more on how the MBA MAP works.

A few other admissions consulting firms also host fully-automated chances evaluator tools on their website, with a varying number of parameters/dimensions.

Many applicants ask us how accurate such tools are. We say it's helpful to use them to get a general idea, but it's equally important to do independent research and not base their big decisions based on a single data point.

Nevertheless, it can be a good launch pad to understand what parameters affect their odds.

Originally posted by MBACrystalBall on 08 Nov 2019, 00:08.
Last edited by MBACrystalBall on 19 Sep 2021, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi Team, the tool is amazing. I had a question around the professional experience option, would a Big-4 be considered under regular feeder to B-schools? I would believe it is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
Send PM
jayantk94 wrote:
Hi Team, the tool is amazing. I had a question around the professional experience option, would a Big-4 be considered under regular feeder to B-schools? I would believe it is.

Big 4 audit, Big 4 strategy, Big 4 advisory, international, US based?

There are a lot of factors to consider here when discussing the Big 4. Poets and Quants feel that for Harvard, Big 4 audit is essentially "bronze", advisory/strategy is "silver". If you are international due to the competitive nature you can bump audit to "silver", and advisory/strategy to "gold".
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23