Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 20:30 It is currently 17 May 2024, 20:30
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  23   
Founder
Founder
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 37447
Own Kudos [?]: 73246 [371]
Given Kudos: 18981
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Joined: 24 Jan 2023
Posts: 57
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Joined: 24 Jul 2019
Posts: 1751
Own Kudos [?]: 646 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 2610
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Pranav,
I like the work exp in the fashion industry. The blend of entrepreneurial and management consulting experience is nice to have as it broadens your understanding of the industry and also helps you to somewhat differentiate yourself. What is the work at PwC like? Although its unlikely you would be working for only fashion/ retail clients, but its something that could be relevant especially if you wish to return to this industry post MBA. (Also what are your carrer goals after the MBA?)

700 is an average score. Coming from NIFT, you would most likely not have taken quant subjects, and the quant section of GMAT is not very competitive either. This can keep you from applying to some MBA programs where a higher Gmat score will help.
You can also strengthen your extra curriculur activities if ypu plan to apply to bschools abroad.
Lastly, given your frequent job changes and lesser overall experience, you can benefit from waiting a year and applying with another year's experience at PwC (no job change).

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 2610
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [1]
Given Kudos: 168
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashesh25 wrote:
Hi guys, please evaluate my profile for an ISB admit/ also suggest any other B-schools (location agnostic) that I can target:

Age: 26
Undergrad: B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering (2015-19)
Job 1 : Mechanical Engineer in Dubai (UAE) (2019-2020) 13 months
Job 2: Consultant (EY)-Handling projects for Tata Steel and its subsidiaries across India/Canada/SE Asia/Europe. (2021-Current) (I started as an Analyst and got two promotions within 18 months. (32 months experience as of Jan '2024)

Extra Curriculars in Undergrad
1. Member (AIESEC)-Business Dev and Student exchanges
2. Team Lead-ISHRAE won a grant to design an environment friendly AC

Extra Curriculars in my current job:
Mentoring students from under privileged backgrounds by understanding their inclinations towards various disciplines (Science and Commerce)

Post MBA Goals:
Get into the bigger consulting firms (McKinsey, BCG, BAIN, L.E.K..) open to roles in supply chain and operations management.

Thanks in advance!


Hi Ashesh,
GMAT is the missing link right now, otherwise you have a strong profile.
I understand from your goals that you are open to consulting as well as an ops role in the industry. If that is the case, you could also look into leadership development programs- some of them have an ops/ SCM focus ( check Fedex) and can be an alternate career goal for you (plan B). If you are keen on joining the ops practice within a consulting firm, that may not immediately happen on joining the firm, as most hire for a genarlist position initially. But thats ok and a path that bschools understand if you mention it in your goals statement.
I would wait for a GMAT score to suggest bschools. ISB is definitely a good option.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Feb 2022
Status:Preparing for the GMAT
Posts: 87
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.33
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
2
Kudos
j

Originally posted by scrantonstrangler on 04 May 2023, 22:01.
Last edited by scrantonstrangler on 18 Aug 2023, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 May 2023
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I just started to think about MBA seriously. I'm mainly interested in European schools because my partner is relocating to Europe. I would really appreciate if you can help evaluate my profile and fit for the top MBA schools in Europe.

Demographic: China, 30yo, female
Undergrad: US top 30; 3.9/4.0
Master: US top 1; 3.6/4.0
Work Experience: 6+ years, Senior Data Scientist at FAANG
GMAT: target 750 (I took it once 7 years ago and got 720, but the score has expired).

Post-MBA goal: Product Manager at FAANG or start-ups

I want to know which school has better connections in the Technology industry and thus would give me better chance of getting into Product Management. I know I can go into PM without doing an MBA since I work in FAANG, and doing MBA has a high opportunity cost for me. However, I think it could be a good opportunity to relocate to Europe and gain soft skills that I would usually not gain at work.

In addition, if people have recommendations on personal statement essays for these schools, I would really appreciate that. Thank you in advance!
Manager
Manager
Joined: 24 Jan 2023
Posts: 57
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
1
Kudos
carlshanlu wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I just started to think about MBA seriously. I'm mainly interested in European schools because my partner is relocating to Europe. I would really appreciate if you can help evaluate my profile and fit for the top MBA schools in Europe.

Demographic: China, 30yo, female
Undergrad: US top 30; 3.9/4.0
Master: US top 1; 3.6/4.0
Work Experience: 6+ years, Senior Data Scientist at FAANG
GMAT: target 750 (I took it once 7 years ago and got 720, but the score has expired).

Post-MBA goal: Product Manager at FAANG or start-ups

I want to know which school has better connections in the Technology industry and thus would give me better chance of getting into Product Management. I know I can go into PM without doing an MBA since I work in FAANG, and doing MBA has a high opportunity cost for me. However, I think it could be a good opportunity to relocate to Europe and gain soft skills that I would usually not gain at work.

In addition, if people have recommendations on personal statement essays for these schools, I would really appreciate that. Thank you in advance!


Hey carlshanlu,

Totally understand your situation given your partners relocation. Often an MBA can serve as a good entry into the regional labour market. However, you will need to think about some aspects such as:
- There can be language barriers within EU
- The technology industry may not be as advanced as say the Bay Area in the United States, will be an opportunity cost for you professionally
- You are already in probably one of the topmost paying jobs within the Bay Area and thus you may need to moderate your expectations wrt to the comp and profile
Just wanted to flag these aspects upfront so that you make an informed decision.
Coming to the EU market, a lot of the FAANG companies have their offices in London along with some regional presence in the the respective EU countries depending on their onground business. The startup ecosystem is probably most vibrant in Berlin, Frankfurt and some really upcoming opportunities in Amsterdam. Luxembourg has one of the largest Amazon establishment in EU and Apple in Dublin. These are the usual jobs hub for Big Tech jobs.
The schools that are good feeders into the above profiles will be London Business School, INSEAD, HEC Paris, IMD Switzerland along with Oxford Said and Cambridge Judge. So you can have some of these on your list once you have decided to apply for an MBA.
Btw Germany has relaxed their visa restrictions given their strong labour requirements, so you can even give a shot to domestic job opportunities without an MBA, albeit you will need to have local language skills.

Hope that helps? Please drop a mail to info@thembaedge.com if you want to have a detailed discussion.

Best regards,
TheMBAEdge

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Status:MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Posts: 3723
Own Kudos [?]: 1432 [1]
Given Kudos: 573
Location: United States
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Honestly this is not the biggest area of expertise for European programs. My recommendation would be to go to MIT. But if you are super doubled down on EU/UK then I would honestly say INSEAD. They have the greatest number of unicorns of all European programs and I might use that as a proxy for PM.

London Business School is a good second (or first) choice if you want a two year program (you can customize the length). Both are party schools so be prepared for that. Based on UK legislation I think you still have like a two-year work permit coming out of the program. It's interesting in the sense that you can actually do two internships or maybe one internship and entrepreneurship summer school.

IESE is #3 for European recruitment; despite being located in Spain my clients from there now work in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Berlin. Unexpectedly good reach beyond Spain. There are other programs that might be better for PM as a specialty like HEC or IE but not worth trading off the brand of the 3 leading schools. HEC has Station F but it’s really best for francophones from an alumni standpoint; you cant work in France without language skills unlike other EU countries.

Your GMAT, if 720+ is good and grades are more than solid, and being a bit of an older (especially female) applicant is advantageous in Europe. Being Asian is overrepresented but offset by being female, years of WE. The only thing that might be a concern is international exposure/experience: both INSEAD and LBS are "UN-style" programs. All EU programs have greater intl focus than US programs. Have international shiz on your CV will help a lot. caveat - INSEAD requires basic business fluency in a 3rd language and you want that sorted before the 10 mos begin because its super intense and ppl travel every weekend, dont want to miss that. carlshanlu


carlshanlu wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I just started to think about MBA seriously. I'm mainly interested in European schools because my partner is relocating to Europe. I would really appreciate if you can help evaluate my profile and fit for the top MBA schools in Europe.

Demographic: China, 30yo, female
Undergrad: US top 30; 3.9/4.0
Master: US top 1; 3.6/4.0
Work Experience: 6+ years, Senior Data Scientist at FAANG
GMAT: target 750 (I took it once 7 years ago and got 720, but the score has expired).

Post-MBA goal: Product Manager at FAANG or start-ups

I want to know which school has better connections in the Technology industry and thus would give me better chance of getting into Product Management. I know I can go into PM without doing an MBA since I work in FAANG, and doing MBA has a high opportunity cost for me. However, I think it could be a good opportunity to relocate to Europe and gain soft skills that I would usually not gain at work.

In addition, if people have recommendations on personal statement essays for these schools, I would really appreciate that. Thank you in advance!
SVP
SVP
Joined: 24 Jul 2019
Posts: 1751
Own Kudos [?]: 646 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
1
Kudos
carlshanlu wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I just started to think about MBA seriously. I'm mainly interested in European schools because my partner is relocating to Europe. I would really appreciate if you can help evaluate my profile and fit for the top MBA schools in Europe.

Demographic: China, 30yo, female
Undergrad: US top 30; 3.9/4.0
Master: US top 1; 3.6/4.0
Work Experience: 6+ years, Senior Data Scientist at FAANG
GMAT: target 750 (I took it once 7 years ago and got 720, but the score has expired).

Post-MBA goal: Product Manager at FAANG or start-ups

I want to know which school has better connections in the Technology industry and thus would give me better chance of getting into Product Management. I know I can go into PM without doing an MBA since I work in FAANG, and doing MBA has a high opportunity cost for me. However, I think it could be a good opportunity to relocate to Europe and gain soft skills that I would usually not gain at work.

In addition, if people have recommendations on personal statement essays for these schools, I would really appreciate that. Thank you in advance!



Hi carlshanlu I am an INSEAD alumna and have served 3+ years of tenure as INSEAD admissions interviewer

Coming from FAANG, you can pretty much get into a PM role from any school (let's be honest about that).

However, if you are passionate about relocating to Europe and pursuing an MBA, it's worth considering some of the top business schools in the UK-EU region. INSEAD, LBS, Said, Judge, HEC Paris, IMD, and IESE are all highly regarded institutions, each with its own unique culture and pace of programs. To find the right fit, it's important that you take the time to research these schools thoroughly.

The process of researching and shortlisting the right target schools can be as much of a learning experience as the application process (or the MBA!). Networking events, webinars, and meetings with admissions officers and alumni can help you gain a better sense of the programs, recruitment pipelines, and schools' respective cultures. Consider visiting some of your preferred options on your list to see the schools in person and get a better understanding of their environments.

If you're interested in developing soft skills and having a rich MBA experience, all of these efforts will be well worth it in the end.

Best wishes
Intern
Intern
Joined: 17 Nov 2021
Posts: 21
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Location: United States (TX)
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.96
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Hi Everyone,

I wanted a more specific view of my MBA chances other than using this tracker. I'm interested in schools in the United States and I’m looking to start in fall 2024.

Demographic: African American, 25 year old female (by the time of enrollment)
Undergrad: US top 300; 3.96/4.0 (top ten percent)
Work Experience: less than 1 year, Associate Analyst at Ernst & Young
GMAT: 620

When using the tool provided, the attachment shows my probability for the schools provided. I wanted to know if it was an accurate assessment that I can use when selecting MBA programs to apply to. I’m particularly interested in Yale SOM.
Attachments

What are my chances.pdf [125.51 KiB]
Downloaded 28 times

User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 May 2023
Posts: 2
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Location: India
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Hi all. I am trying to shortlist 3 ambitious programmes in a total of 7 programmes that I intend to apply to in the 2024 admission clycle. Seeking your feedback on which would be the most suitable M7 programmes for me to apply to. Below is my profile:

28 F | Indian (Non IT)

GMAT: 750 (V41 | Q50)

Academic Profile: B.Tech (Top 15 Engineering colleges in India): 8.35/10.00 | Masters in Management (Top 5 Business Schools in India): 5.68/8.00

Professional Qualification (4 years): Marketing Manager, Airtel (1.5 years) | Strategy Analyst, Accenture Strategy & Consulting (1.5 years) | Customer Marketing Manager, Unilever (1 year)

Post MBA goals: Consulting/ Entrepreneurship
Intern
Intern
Joined: 28 Feb 2023
Posts: 10
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Hi all! Sat my GMAT a couple of days back and scored a 710 - Q48 V40 IR7.

About Me :

Indian, 29yrs. Graduated B.Tech Marine Engineering (T5 in India) in 2018 with 81.44% cumulative.

Work experience of 4yrs+ (2 promotions) as an Engineering Officer onboard Chemical & Oil Tankers. Led teams on critical maintenance jobs, experienced in inventory management and worked in highly demanding environments. Worked with people of many nationalities (Filipinos, Ukrainians, Croats, Indonesians, etc) and travelled internationally. Led crew in critical anti-piracy ops, firefighting and other marine pollution prevention ops.

Speaking of Co-curricular and others:

1. Three-time recipient of merit-based scholarship for outstanding academic performance.
2. First position at multiple national-level technical symposiums at IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, etc.
3. College Campusing Cell head for batch.
4. Captain of the college football team, represented at multiple events.
5. Led college at Annual International Coastal Cleanup Drive at Marina Beach, Chennai by Ocean Conservancy

I was focused on sitting the GMAT till now and hence hadn't been able to research much about potential schools to apply to.

I have had very limited interaction with a few of my seniors. (I have very few seniors or alums as options to reach out to, regarding an MBA, because what I have understood till now is that only a handful of merchant navy folk leave the field to get an MBA) Anyway, so I guess considering my background, maybe I should focus on Supply Chain specialisation. But, I haven't yet been able to put my finger on any such specialisation as such.

I am hoping that my work experience will add to the supply chain management part. I have heard that people who switched from onboard positions to management roles have been pretty successful in their capacity as managers. I hope that is true.

I was primarily thinking of T20-30 colleges in the US.

The GMATClub tool has thrown up these choices -

Above Avg - Tepper, McCombs, UNCKF, Emory G, Kelley, Foster, Marshall, Rotman
Avg - NYU Stern, ISB, Yale, Darden, Duke, Said Oxford, UCLA Anderson.

Duke is my dream uni, and I was thinking of considering ISB Hyd as a safe option.
Also, I would prefer to maybe drop a bit down the school rankings if that means a better chance of getting a scholarship.

What do you think my chances are for these schools?

Do you have any advice about which other schools or specialisations I should look at?
Also, any tips on how to go about shortlisting schools and how to pick specialisations?

I am willing to look at other schools, but I don't think I am going to apply to US schools outside the top 50.

P.S. - I don't think I am going to sit the GMAT again to improve my score. To be really honest, I made the GMAT my life for these last couple of months (basically ignored everything else - family, friends, rest of my life). So right now, I don't think I'm going to go through that phase again. This is what I feel right now.

Thank you!
SVP
SVP
Joined: 24 Jul 2019
Posts: 1751
Own Kudos [?]: 646 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
godschild94 wrote:
Hi all! Sat my GMAT a couple of days back and scored a 710 - Q48 V40 IR7.

About Me :

Indian, 29yrs. Graduated B.Tech Marine Engineering (T5 in India) in 2018 with 81.44% cumulative.

Work experience of 4yrs+ (2 promotions) as an Engineering Officer onboard Chemical & Oil Tankers. Led teams on critical maintenance jobs, experienced in inventory management and worked in highly demanding environments. Worked with people of many nationalities (Filipinos, Ukrainians, Croats, Indonesians, etc) and travelled internationally. Led crew in critical anti-piracy ops, firefighting and other marine pollution prevention ops.

Speaking of Co-curricular and others:

1. Three-time recipient of merit-based scholarship for outstanding academic performance.
2. First position at multiple national-level technical symposiums at IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, etc.
3. College Campusing Cell head for batch.
4. Captain of the college football team, represented at multiple events.
5. Led college at Annual International Coastal Cleanup Drive at Marina Beach, Chennai by Ocean Conservancy

I was focused on sitting the GMAT till now and hence hadn't been able to research much about potential schools to apply to.

I have had very limited interaction with a few of my seniors. (I have very few seniors or alums as options to reach out to, regarding an MBA, because what I have understood till now is that only a handful of merchant navy folk leave the field to get an MBA) Anyway, so I guess considering my background, maybe I should focus on Supply Chain specialisation. But, I haven't yet been able to put my finger on any such specialisation as such.

I am hoping that my work experience will add to the supply chain management part. I have heard that people who switched from onboard positions to management roles have been pretty successful in their capacity as managers. I hope that is true.

I was primarily thinking of T20-30 colleges in the US.

The GMATClub tool has thrown up these choices -

Above Avg - Tepper, McCombs, UNCKF, Emory G, Kelley, Foster, Marshall, Rotman
Avg - NYU Stern, ISB, Yale, Darden, Duke, Said Oxford, UCLA Anderson.

Duke is my dream uni, and I was thinking of considering ISB Hyd as a safe option.
Also, I would prefer to maybe drop a bit down the school rankings if that means a better chance of getting a scholarship.

What do you think my chances are for these schools?

Do you have any advice about which other schools or specialisations I should look at?
Also, any tips on how to go about shortlisting schools and how to pick specialisations?

I am willing to look at other schools, but I don't think I am going to apply to US schools outside the top 50.

P.S. - I don't think I am going to sit the GMAT again to improve my score. To be really honest, I made the GMAT my life for these last couple of months (basically ignored everything else - family, friends, rest of my life). So right now, I don't think I'm going to go through that phase again. This is what I feel right now.

Thank you!


Hi godschild94 hope this finds you well

Great profile! There are many positive aspects, especially your work experience as a Marine Engineer involved in fleet upkeep amid demanding situations, and significant international exposure.

Yes, Supply Chain and Operations leadership tracks are the most likely goals for people from backgrounds like yours. Just so you know, if you get into the right school, MBBs actively seek individuals with strong Ops experience for management consulting roles in the Ops & Strategy Consulting practices. Other roles that you may want to explore are Supply Chain Analytics, Product or Network Planning and Strategy, or Corporate Finance (if you like finance) at small to medium-sized startups. Please feel free to reach out to me to learn more about these options as this is also my area of specialization.

I would definitely suggest adding Michigan Ross MBA to your list. Its affiliation with the Tauber Institute for specialization in Operations makes the program a hot target for leadership roles in this domain.

Any particular reason why the IIM A 1-year PGPX not at the top of your list for Indian B Schools? Probably a case of information asymmetry (as is usually). You may not feel as fulfilled at ISB since you will be on the upper end in terms of age. You would be a much better fit at IIM A, and the ROI will likely be better as well.

Honestly, your GMAT score is not too great given the demographic, especially for the league of US schools you are looking at. A Q48 is considered low for Indian applicants at top global B School. But if you plan to go ahead with it, definitely apply early. Duke has an early intake round that you can take advantage of.

Aanchal Sahni
MBAGuideConsulting
WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ |email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com | Message: +91 9971200927
Intern
Intern
Joined: 28 Feb 2023
Posts: 10
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Hi MBAGuide Aanchal Thank you for your response!

Thank you for mentioning the various avenues that might be a possibility with my background. I'll look up in-depth about these.

About IIM-A PGPX not being in my consideration, I would have to say that's something I had not looked at seriously as an option before. I will surely look it up and consider your points about the age profile and the ROI.

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 03 May 2023
Posts: 22
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Location: Indonesia
Schools: Sloan '26
GRE 1: Q166 V163
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
--edited out due to sensitive info--

Originally posted by r_putra_rp on 14 May 2023, 00:22.
Last edited by r_putra_rp on 29 May 2023, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Joined: 13 Jul 2020
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Posts: 2644
Own Kudos [?]: 355 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Location: Singapore
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello godschild94

Your profile has several strong aspects that would be appealing to MBA programs:

Academic Performance: Graduating with a B.Tech in Marine Engineering from a Tier 5 institution in India with a cumulative score of 81.44% demonstrates your strong academic abilities.

Work Experience:
Your work experience as an Engineering Officer onboard Chemical & Oil Tankers is unique and impressive. Leading teams, managing critical maintenance jobs, and handling inventory management in demanding environments showcase your leadership, problem-solving, and operational skills.

International Exposure: Your experience working with people from various nationalities and traveling internationally demonstrates your ability to thrive in diverse environments and work effectively with multicultural teams.

Co-curricular Involvement: Your achievements, such as winning first positions at national-level technical symposiums, leading the college football team, and leading the college in the International Coastal Cleanup Drive, highlight your leadership, teamwork, and extracurricular interests.

Considering your background and interest in supply chain management, your work experience in inventory management and your exposure to handling critical operations can be valuable in the field of supply chain management.

Now, let's address your questions about school selection and specializations:

Chances for Target Schools:
Based on your profile, your chances at T20-30 schools in the US, such as Tepper, McCombs, UNC Kenan-Flagler, Emory Goizueta, Kelley, Foster, Marshall, and Rotman, are reasonably good. Your GMAT score of 710 is competitive for these schools. However, keep in mind that admission decisions are based on a holistic evaluation of your entire application, including essays, recommendations, interviews, and fit with the school's values and culture.

Duke University's Fuqua School of Business:
Duke is your dream university, and with a strong profile like yours, you have a competitive chance of admission. However, it's important to note that Duke is highly selective, and the final decision depends on various factors. Make sure to present a compelling application highlighting your achievements, goals, and how you can contribute to the Fuqua community.

ISB Hyderabad:
Considering ISB Hyderabad as a safe option is a good choice. Your international experience, leadership skills, and unique background can make you a strong candidate for their program. ISB places significant emphasis on diversity and leadership potential, which aligns well with your profile.

School Selection and Specializations:
To shortlist schools, consider factors such as program reputation, curriculum, faculty, industry connections, and alumni network. Research each school thoroughly, review their offerings in supply chain management or related fields, and assess if their programs align with your career goals. It's important to choose schools that provide the resources, network, and opportunities you need to achieve your post-MBA objectives.

When selecting a specialization, reflect on your strengths, interests, and long-term career goals. Consider how a particular specialization will enhance your skills and align with your future aspirations. Research the course offerings, faculty expertise, and career outcomes related to each specialization to make an informed decision.

Lastly, while you mentioned you don't want to retake the GMAT, keep in mind that a higher score can increase your chances at competitive programs. However, if you feel strongly about your decision, focus on presenting a well-rounded application that showcases your unique experiences, achievements, and potential to contribute to the MBA community.
If you have any additional questions about your profile or the program and would like to have a more thorough and personalized discussion with our top profile experts, please feel free to schedule a call with us. We would be more than happy to assist you.
Book a free profile evaluation now!

Good luck with your applications!
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
MBA and Beyond

godschild94 wrote:
Hi all! Sat my GMAT a couple of days back and scored a 710 - Q48 V40 IR7.

About Me :

Indian, 29yrs. Graduated B.Tech Marine Engineering (T5 in India) in 2018 with 81.44% cumulative.

Work experience of 4yrs+ (2 promotions) as an Engineering Officer onboard Chemical & Oil Tankers. Led teams on critical maintenance jobs, experienced in inventory management and worked in highly demanding environments. Worked with people of many nationalities (Filipinos, Ukrainians, Croats, Indonesians, etc) and travelled internationally. Led crew in critical anti-piracy ops, firefighting and other marine pollution prevention ops.

Speaking of Co-curricular and others:

1. Three-time recipient of merit-based scholarship for outstanding academic performance.
2. First position at multiple national-level technical symposiums at IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, etc.
3. College Campusing Cell head for batch.
4. Captain of the college football team, represented at multiple events.
5. Led college at Annual International Coastal Cleanup Drive at Marina Beach, Chennai by Ocean Conservancy

I was focused on sitting the GMAT till now and hence hadn't been able to research much about potential schools to apply to.

I have had very limited interaction with a few of my seniors. (I have very few seniors or alums as options to reach out to, regarding an MBA, because what I have understood till now is that only a handful of merchant navy folk leave the field to get an MBA) Anyway, so I guess considering my background, maybe I should focus on Supply Chain specialisation. But, I haven't yet been able to put my finger on any such specialisation as such.

I am hoping that my work experience will add to the supply chain management part. I have heard that people who switched from onboard positions to management roles have been pretty successful in their capacity as managers. I hope that is true.

I was primarily thinking of T20-30 colleges in the US.

The GMATClub tool has thrown up these choices -

Above Avg - Tepper, McCombs, UNCKF, Emory G, Kelley, Foster, Marshall, Rotman
Avg - NYU Stern, ISB, Yale, Darden, Duke, Said Oxford, UCLA Anderson.

Duke is my dream uni, and I was thinking of considering ISB Hyd as a safe option.
Also, I would prefer to maybe drop a bit down the school rankings if that means a better chance of getting a scholarship.

What do you think my chances are for these schools?

Do you have any advice about which other schools or specialisations I should look at?
Also, any tips on how to go about shortlisting schools and how to pick specialisations?

I am willing to look at other schools, but I don't think I am going to apply to US schools outside the top 50.

P.S. - I don't think I am going to sit the GMAT again to improve my score. To be really honest, I made the GMAT my life for these last couple of months (basically ignored everything else - family, friends, rest of my life). So right now, I don't think I'm going to go through that phase again. This is what I feel right now.

Thank you!
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Joined: 13 Jul 2020
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Posts: 2644
Own Kudos [?]: 355 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Location: Singapore
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey Aspirant2024,

Based on your profile and post-MBA goals, here are three ambitious M7 programs that you could consider:

1. Harvard Business School (HBS):
HBS is known for its rigorous and comprehensive case method of teaching, which can help you develop the problem-solving and strategic thinking skills necessary for consulting and entrepreneurship. HBS offers a wide range of resources, including the Arthur Rock Center for Entrepreneurship and the Harvard Innovation Labs, which can support your entrepreneurial aspirations.

2. Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB):
Stanford GSB is renowned for its emphasis on innovation, leadership, and entrepreneurship. The school offers the Stanford Venture Studio, a hub for entrepreneurial students, and the Center for Social Innovation, which can align with your goal of entrepreneurship. The GSB's strong network and proximity to Silicon Valley provide unique opportunities for networking and launching your venture.

3. Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania:
Wharton is known for its strength in finance and consulting, making it an excellent choice for your goals. The school offers a comprehensive curriculum and extensive resources in both areas. Wharton also has a strong entrepreneurial ecosystem, including the Wharton Entrepreneurship Program, which can support your interests in starting your own venture.

These three programs are highly regarded and have a strong reputation for preparing students for careers in consulting and entrepreneurship. However, it's important to note that admission to M7 programs is highly competitive, and other factors, such as your essays, recommendations, and interview performance, will also play a significant role in the selection process.

When shortlisting your programs, consider other factors like the culture, curriculum, alumni network, and the resources each program offers in consulting and entrepreneurship. It's also worth researching the career outcomes and opportunities provided by each program in your specific areas of interest.

If you have any additional questions about your profile or the program and would like to have a more thorough and personalized discussion with our top profile experts, please feel free to schedule a call with us. We would be more than happy to assist you.
Book a free profile evaluation now!

Good luck with your applications!

Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
MBA and Beyond


Aspirant2024 wrote:
Hi all. I am trying to shortlist 3 ambitious programmes in a total of 7 programmes that I intend to apply to in the 2024 admission clycle. Seeking your feedback on which would be the most suitable M7 programmes for me to apply to. Below is my profile:

28 F | Indian (Non IT)

GMAT: 750 (V41 | Q50)

Academic Profile: B.Tech (Top 15 Engineering colleges in India): 8.35/10.00 | Masters in Management (Top 5 Business Schools in India): 5.68/8.00

Professional Qualification (4 years): Marketing Manager, Airtel (1.5 years) | Strategy Analyst, Accenture Strategy & Consulting (1.5 years) | Customer Marketing Manager, Unilever (1 year)

Post MBA goals: Consulting/ Entrepreneurship
Intern
Intern
Joined: 28 Feb 2023
Posts: 10
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Hi MBAandBeyond

Thank you so much for your detailed response.

I really appreciate how objectively you referred to my profile and pointed out everything I should be considering.

I am aware that a better GMAT score would increase my chances, but presently I want to work on building the other aspects of my application - the essays, the CV, LORs, etc. Also, I want to focus on networking with present / past students. Personally I feel that a better presented and better rounded application would stand me in better stead than one with a better score accompanied with a not so great rest of the aspects.

I plan to retake the GMAT if have time after preparing my applications.

Thank you so much again for your time!

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 37447
Own Kudos [?]: 73246 [0]
Given Kudos: 18981
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi. You are absolutely correct that the score is not a deciding factor. However, a lot of people focus on the score because it is the fastest to improve and probably easiest to despite some people struggling with it.

When people talk about the quality of applications, that means your résumé and your past work experience and your goals and story and some of those things are changeable such as goals or story and other things such as your past work experience, promotions, achievements, and extracurricular items takes years to change…

I would say the most important thing to figure out would be the Why MBA and what you want to do after MBA. The rest of the things should fall into place.

Also in terms of timing, applications are due in September for round one admissions. Applications are announced and open up in June and July so right now most of the people choose to do test preparation to get that out of the way and then in July start working on the application components which are not yet announced or available. (Hello in fairness I’m not expecting any big changes to the applications this year but you never know)


godschild94 wrote:
Hi MBAandBeyond

Thank you so much for your detailed response.

I really appreciate how objectively you referred to my profile and pointed out everything I should be considering.

I am aware that a better GMAT score would increase my chances, but presently I want to work on building the other aspects of my application - the essays, the CV, LORs, etc. Also, I want to focus on networking with present / past students. Personally I feel that a better presented and better rounded application would stand me in better stead than one with a better score accompanied with a not so great rest of the aspects.

I plan to retake the GMAT if have time after preparing my applications.

Thank you so much again for your time!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Joined: 28 Feb 2023
Posts: 10
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Hi BB!

Thank you for your response.

I understand the logic behind the thought to put in more work and maybe sit the test again. But I have my doubts regarding whether I would really be able to improve substantially from a 710 to something like a 730/740+.

I wanted to ask, if you have any idea about how much of a difference does it make in the eyes of the AdCom between a score of a 710 and something like a 730/740?

I plan to go through the whole admission process myself using the GMATClub forum on the way. This is why I want to expend a greater chunk of time getting my story right. The exact points you mentioned - WHY the MBA, and post-MBA goals. I know for a fact that I need time to get my story the way I want it and put that into words.

This, along with researching schools, speaking to people, etc, I am assuming, will take up quite a chunk of the coming 3 months.

Thanks again!

bb wrote:
Hi. You are absolutely correct that the score is not a deciding factor. However, a lot of people focus on the score because it is the fastest to improve and probably easiest to despite some people struggling with it.

When people talk about the quality of applications, that means your résumé and your past work experience and your goals and story and some of those things are changeable such as goals or story and other things such as your past work experience, promotions, achievements, and extracurricular items takes years to change…

I would say the most important thing to figure out would be the Why MBA and what you want to do after MBA. The rest of the things should fall into place.

Also in terms of timing, applications are due in September for round one admissions. Applications are announced and open up in June and July so right now most of the people choose to do test preparation to get that out of the way and then in July start working on the application components which are not yet announced or available. (Hello in fairness I’m not expecting any big changes to the applications this year but you never know)


godschild94 wrote:
Hi MBAandBeyond

Thank you so much for your detailed response.

I really appreciate how objectively you referred to my profile and pointed out everything I should be considering.

I am aware that a better GMAT score would increase my chances, but presently I want to work on building the other aspects of my application - the essays, the CV, LORs, etc. Also, I want to focus on networking with present / past students. Personally I feel that a better presented and better rounded application would stand me in better stead than one with a better score accompanied with a not so great rest of the aspects.

I plan to retake the GMAT if have time after preparing my applications.

Thank you so much again for your time!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  23