Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:34 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:34
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [381]
Given Kudos: 20634
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey sourabhchandra09,

Your profile looks good on the surface, to begin with, your academics. Your 10th-grade percentage (93.40%) is excellent and showcases your strong academic foundation. Your 12th-grade percentage (62.20%) is relatively lower compared to your other academic achievements. However, admissions committees usually prioritize undergraduate performance over 12th-grade scores. Your B.Tech CGPA (8.34) is impressive and demonstrates your ability to excel in your field of study. Your GMAT score of 720 is competitive and falls within the average range for ISB admissions.

Speaking about your work experience, your 11 years of work experience is extensive and valuable, which is advantageous for MBA programs like ISB.
Your work experience in the VLSI domain, as an assistant engineer in a state PSU, and as a deputy manager in Coal India showcases your diverse industry exposure and responsibilities.

Your extracurricular activities, such as reading profiles and balance sheets of companies and reading fictional/non-fictional novels, demonstrate intellectual curiosity and a well-rounded personality.

Overall, your profile appears strong for ISB admission. Your extensive work experience, impressive academic performance in undergraduate studies, and competitive GMAT score should work in your favor. However, keep in mind that admission decisions are based on a holistic review of your application, including essays, recommendations, and interviews. Be sure to showcase your achievements, leadership skills, and future goals effectively in your application to strengthen your candidacy.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.
Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Good luck with your application process!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

sourabhchandra09 wrote:
Request to please evaluate my profile for ISB admission.

Male, Age 35 years, work exp: 11 years.
GMAT Score: 720

10th-93.40 % (CBSE)
12th-62.20% (CBSE)
Graduation, B.Tech (WBUT)-8.34 CGPA (yr 2010)

Work Experience:-
1. 04 years work exp. in VLSI domain (Electronics) in wipro technologies.
2.02 years worked as assistant engineer(electrical) in state psu and looked after the maintenance of 110/11KV substation which involved maitenance of transformers, relays etc.
3.05 years+ working experience in coal india, working as deputy manager and looking after the electrical machinaries of Mines.

Extracurricular/hobbies:-
1.Reading profiles & balance sheet of companies.
2.Reading fictional/non fictional novels.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi,

I am a non engineer(strange)Indian male.

Qualifications: Bachelors in hotel management
(IHM Mumbai top school for this course)

Bachelor's percentage- 70%

12th (CBSE Board) - 55 ( I know it sucks)

10th (CBSE Board) - 8.4 cgpa

Work Experience: almost 5 years

Role: learning and development coordinator

Company: Top 5 fortune company

Industry: Healthcare

Interested in Full-time MBA

Goal: want to explore more and switch my career.

Gmat score- NA, gave my first official mock scored 590 with (VA19 disastrous) don’t know how and QA (49).. aiming for a 700 +

Note: Preparing for CAT exam for the second time so no issues with the qa section.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Where do you wish to study for FTMBA - India or abroad? If abroad, which country / region?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Preferably in India but backup option is Canada.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q158 V162
Send PM
Hey guys, long time lurker. Just wondering where you guys might chance me at to set realistic expectations.

Graduated from Top 50 US with a 2.66 GPA in Genetics with a Business Administration Minor (went through some mental health issues in college). Currently an Associate Scientist in Molecular Bio in a biotech startup WE:3years. During college I was involved in student government as a Senator, was VP of a cultural group, and was the finance chair of the whole university’s International festival.

After college in my work I believe I have skills not of my age/peer group(high exp/have learned many techniques) evidenced by multiple projects (scientific or functional). extracurricular wise I placed my mol bio team as 2nd in a sustainability challenge that included all the teams in the company, including C-Suite.

Currently trying to start a nonprofit but not yet quite established.

Pure demographics: Filipino that moved when I was 10. Current region is south US.

Recommender will be from Associate Director/Lead of my team which I expect to be great.

GRE:334 (167Verb, 167Quant), can be improved

Seeking to go into consulting to build up strategy/business experience after MBA then go seek C-suite position in the biotech industry.

Applying to Schools: Harvard, Duke, UNC, Emory, Said,Tepper, CBS

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi. Your GRE is quite good and hopefully should address the college GPA issue was a decent explanation. At the same time everyone with a low GPA has an explanation 😇

I think you definitely have a good shot at the top 20 schools. I think it’s worth looking at top 10 as well and things along the lines of M7. Your only challenge seems to be your GPA but it seems like your work experience, your initiative your GRE score all points towards the fact that it wasn’t really representative of your abilities and potential.

It’s a bit tricky to judge how schools may react this year to a lower GPA and how concerned they will be about maintaining a high average so I would recommend applying to a spectrum of programs and see where the luck strikes. I wouldn’t apply to all the safeties are all the rich schools in the first round but sprinkle a bit of all of them…. I think the result will depend on how well you can sell your story and make him close their eyes on the GPA. It’s not the end of the world by the way, every applicant has a weakness and every applicant has a problem area so being imperfect does not mean you’re disqualified. Everyone is.

You can also consider Darden as they have been quite generous with scholarships and admits.

PS. Said seems a little weird in the mix. It has quite a few essays and I’m not sure if you want to deal with them but I’m not going to stop you. At the same time, it’s tricky to recruit back in the US when you go to the school in Europe. It’s going to create unnecessary hardship I would say.

fjven888 wrote:
Hey guys, long time lurker. Just wondering where you guys might chance me at to set realistic expectations.

Graduated from Top 50 US with a 2.66 GPA in Genetics with a Business Administration Minor (went through some mental health issues in college). Currently an Associate Scientist in Molecular Bio in a biotech startup WE:3years. During college I was involved in student government as a Senator, was VP of a cultural group, and was the finance chair of the whole university’s International festival.

After college in my work I believe I have skills not of my age/peer group(high exp/have learned many techniques) evidenced by multiple projects (scientific or functional). extracurricular wise I placed my mol bio team as 2nd in a sustainability challenge that included all the teams in the company, including C-Suite.

Pure demographics: Filipino that moved when I was 10. Current region is south US.

Recommender will be from Associate Director/Lead of my team which I expect to be great.

Seeking to go into consulting to build up strategy/business experience after MBA then go seek C-suite position in the biotech industry.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the great and kind advice bb!! Interesting about Said, I’ll research some more on this and maybe reconsider; curious to know your thought pattern in strategizing when to apply (R1 vs R2) and how many+which tiers per round, seems logical to even it out but curious if that would maximize likelihood of admission more than just applying all R1

bb wrote:
Hi. Your GRE is quite good and hopefully should address the college GPA issue was a decent explanation. At the same time everyone with a low GPA has an explanation 😇

I think you definitely have a good shot at the top 20 schools. I think it’s worth looking at top 10 as well and things along the lines of M7. Your only challenge seems to be your GPA but it seems like your work experience, your initiative your GRE score all points towards the fact that it wasn’t really representative of your abilities and potential.

It’s a bit tricky to judge how schools may react this year to a lower GPA and how concerned they will be about maintaining a high average so I would recommend applying to a spectrum of programs and see where the luck strikes. I wouldn’t apply to all the safeties are all the rich schools in the first round but sprinkle a bit of all of them…. I think the result will depend on how well you can sell your story and make him close their eyes on the GPA. It’s not the end of the world by the way, every applicant has a weakness and every applicant has a problem area so being imperfect does not mean you’re disqualified. Everyone is.

You can also consider Darden as they have been quite generous with scholarships and admits.

PS. Said seems a little weird in the mix. It has quite a few essays and I’m not sure if you want to deal with them but I’m not going to stop you. At the same time, it’s tricky to recruit back in the US when you go to the school in Europe. It’s going to create unnecessary hardship I would say.

fjven888 wrote:

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sure. My topic is now 3 years old but I think it still is relevant. Everyone ends up applying in both regardless so I recommend planning it.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/round-1-vs-r ... 98430.html

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Holy moly, very nice! Thank you!

bb wrote:
Sure. My topic is now 3 years old but I think it still is relevant. Everyone ends up applying in both regardless so I recommend planning it.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/round-1-vs-r ... 98430.html

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Vikash1818 wrote:
Hi,

I am a non engineer(strange)Indian male.

Qualifications: Bachelors in hotel management
(IHM Mumbai top school for this course)

Bachelor's percentage- 70%

12th (CBSE Board) - 55 ( I know it sucks)

10th (CBSE Board) - 8.4 cgpa

Work Experience: almost 5 years

Role: learning and development coordinator

Company: Top 5 fortune company

Industry: Healthcare

Interested in Full-time MBA

Goal: want to explore more and switch my career.

Gmat score- NA, gave my first official mock scored 590 with (VA19 disastrous) don’t know how and QA (49).. aiming for a 700 +

Note: Preparing for CAT exam for the second time so no issues with the qa section.

Vikash1818 hope this finds you well

Your profile description, particularly regarding your work experience and goals, is too narrow to provide advice on this forum. Understanding your MBA goals would assist us in guiding you effectively. For your applications, I advise you to construct a strong narrative that showcases your career progression resulting from hard work and perseverance. 5 years in a professional setting is a substantial duration, so present a variety of examples highlighting leadership, empathy, diversity initiatives, teamwork, and other relevant aspects of your profile.

Utilize anecdotes from your professional life to demonstrate your leadership skills. Showcase how you motivated teams, expedited projects, achieved desired outcomes, resolved conflicts with persuasive abilities, influenced management decisions through keen observations and insights, and generated value for your team and organization as a whole. Highlight your bias for action and conscientious decision-making capabilities.

Your impressive undergraduate background of IHM is notable and distinctive. If you are applying to schools in India, it will be taken into strong consideration.

Your Quant score of Q49 serves as a reliable indicator of your overall competence. Do not let your verbal score discourage you. Improving on the verbal section is easier and faster when your quantitative skills are at the appropriate level. If you wish to discuss your GMAT preparation or MBA application strategy, feel free to connect.

Best wishes

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
SVP
SVP
Send PM
fjven888 wrote:

fjven888 hope this finds you well

Your GRE score is very impressive, as is your background in Biotech. Please note that Business schools are often willing to consider the context surrounding a low GPA, and a well-crafted strategic explanation could work in your favor. If you're worried about your low GPA, consider demonstrating that you've overcome your weak areas. Back your case with your genuine interest in the biotech field and your efforts to develop skills and acquire knowledge beyond what was required at your level. Emphasizing your passion and proactive approach persuades the admissions committee of your suitability and preparedness for a successful career.

Your selection of schools is spot-on. Another school worth considering is Tuck. Tuck's strong emphasis on healthcare, with a quarter of MBA students enrolling in healthcare courses annually, ensures that the MBA curriculum can be tailored to meet your specific interests and needs.

I am not entirely certain why Said is included in your target list. With promising prospects at the Top 15 US schools, you could include a couple of stretch schools outside the US, such as LBS or INSEAD, to broaden your options (if and) when it comes to deciding between offers.

My advice would be to go strong on schools that have established feeder pipelines in consulting so you could venture into a tier 1 firm like MBB with a focus on Biotech in a few years' time (if you start as a generalist). This would give you a hands-on opportunity to work with a number of industry leaders in an area where you would like to focus on in the long term.

Best wishes

MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the kind advice Aanchal! Will especially use your advice around building a compelling story to complement other parts of my app that may be stronger

MBAGuide wrote:
fjven888 wrote:

fjven888 hope this finds you well

Your GRE score is very impressive, as is your background in Biotech. Please note that Business schools are often willing to consider the context surrounding a low GPA, and a well-crafted strategic explanation could work in your favor. If you're worried about your low GPA, consider demonstrating that you've overcome your weak areas. Back your case with your genuine interest in the biotech field and your efforts to develop skills and acquire knowledge beyond what was required at your level. Emphasizing your passion and proactive approach persuades the admissions committee of your suitability and preparedness for a successful career.

Your selection of schools is spot-on. Another school worth considering is Tuck. Tuck's strong emphasis on healthcare, with a quarter of MBA students enrolling in healthcare courses annually, ensures that the MBA curriculum can be tailored to meet your specific interests and needs.

I am not entirely certain why Said is included in your target list. With promising prospects at the Top 15 US schools, you could include a couple of stretch schools outside the US, such as LBS or INSEAD, to broaden your options (if and) when it comes to deciding between offers.

My advice would be to go strong on schools that have established feeder pipelines in consulting so you could venture into a tier 1 firm like MBB with a focus on Biotech in a few years' time (if you start as a generalist). This would give you a hands-on opportunity to work with a number of industry leaders in an area where you would like to focus on in the long term.

Best wishes

MBAGuideConsulting
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: INSEAD HBS '25
GRE 1: Q165 V159
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hello everyone,

I would greatly appreciate your guidance and honest assessment of my profile. Thank you in advance for your time and patience.

General background: I am a 29-year-old male, an Indian national.

Education:
Mechanical Engineering, from Delhi Technological University (university ranked within the top 15 in India) with a GPA of 8.3/10 or 3.8/4, placing me in the 90th percentile of my batch.

Certifications:
I am a certified Financial Risk Manager (FRM), clearing both parts successfully in first attempt.

Test Scores:
I obtained a GRE score of 324 in my first attempt, with a breakdown of 165 in Quantitative and 159 in Verbal.

Work experience:
I currently possess 6 years of work experience, with a total of 7 years expected at the time of commencing the MBA program. My professional experience predominantly lies around Government of India (Public Sector).

Central Bank Experience: Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
I am working as a Central Banker (Manager) at the RBI since last 4 years, responsible for supervising and managing risks at one of the Globally Systemically Important Banks (GSIBs). This role involved regular interactions and meetings with the GSIB's Board and Senior Management. The supervisory reports I prepared are reviewed by high-ranking officials, including the Governor of the central bank. Significant number of officials from RBI and the supervised entity having direct reporting. For international experience: There are various interactions with regulators and supervisors in overseas jurisdiction on a regular basis, recent G20 hosting experience, leisure travelling overseas etc.

Oil Marketing Company Experience: Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL)
For 2 years, I worked at a Fortune 500 oil marketing company, ranked 142nd globally and 2nd in India among public sector companies. In this role, I managed technical operations at an oil plant and oversaw the supply chain management of white oil across a large geographic area. I led a team of around 30 individuals who reported directly to me.

Additional Experience:
1. Z S Associates: I also had a 3-month stint as a Business Operations Associate at a pharmaceutical consulting firm.
2. Furthermore, I completed summer internships at PEPSICO and a hyperlocal startup. During my undergraduate years, I co-founded a start-up, although it unfortunately did not succeed.

Extra-curricular activities:
Active Involvement:
I have excelled in volleyball and chess at the national level. I have formed volleyball teams at the high school, university, and professional levels, including a team in Mumbai, where I am currently based.

Event Management:
I have experience in conceptualizing and executing corporate conferences and music concerts, benefiting from the opportunities available in Mumbai.

Past Leadership Roles:
During my undergraduate years, I served as the Cultural Secretary of the Student Union, having been elected by over 8000 students. Additionally, I was the Convenor for two years of the Annual Cultural Festival at my university. The festival attracted a footfall of 70,000 participants over three days and secured sponsorships exceeding Rs 1 crore (10 million INR) for each event.

Post-MBA Goals:
My post-MBA aspiration is to pursue a career in general consulting at MBB or similar firms. Alternatively, I am also interested in management roles within operations or risk management domains, preferably in the Middle East, and then in Europe. I am not inclined towards a finance-focused career and instead aim to explore different industries.

Thank you for taking the time to review my profile. I would greatly appreciate any feedback or additional insights you may have. I'm planning to apply in R1.

a) I would like to know my chances of being accepted into MBA programs at INSEAD, LBS, IESE, Oxbridge etc. (specifically looking for one-year- 15 months MBA programs).

b) Additionally, do I stand a chance of receiving a significant scholarship at lower-ranked US schools? Just wanted a second opinion here.

c) Which areas should I focus on to make my profile more competitive?

d) Lastly, will my relatively low GRE score be an impediment to securing admission at these schools? I plan to allocate more effort to my applications and do not anticipate significant bump in the score.

Thank you once again.
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello nkcnkc,

Your profile looks good on the surface. You have a strong profile with several notable achievements and experiences.

Let us begin by highlighting your chances of acceptance.

1. INSEAD: Your international experience, leadership roles, and work at globally significant banks can be valuable for your application. Your strong academic performance and certifications also contribute positively. However, INSEAD is highly competitive, and acceptance depends on various factors beyond your profile alone, such as essays, recommendations, and interview performance. With a well-crafted application, you have a competitive chance of admission.

2. LBS: Your experience in risk management and operations, along with leadership roles and achievements, align well with LBS's emphasis on practical skills and diversity. Your profile should be competitive, but keep in mind that LBS is also highly selective. Strong application materials will be essential to stand out.

3. IESE: Your diverse experiences, leadership roles, and international exposure are valuable for IESE's focus on a global perspective. However, IESE also considers factors like fit with their mission and values. Your profile aligns well, but a strong application is necessary to increase your chances.

4. Both Oxford and Cambridge universities have highly competitive MBA programs. Your profile showcases strong academic performance, international exposure, and leadership experiences. However, these universities typically consider a holistic view of applicants, including intellectual curiosity and fit with their programs. You have a competitive profile, but the application process will require strong supporting materials to increase your chances.

Now covering another important aspect: Scholarships at lower-ranked US schools:
Lower-ranked US schools may offer scholarships to attract strong candidates. Your profile, including your work experience, leadership roles, and achievements, can make you a competitive candidate for scholarships. However, scholarship decisions are highly variable and depend on the individual school's criteria, applicant pool, and available funds. It's worth exploring scholarship opportunities at specific schools and submitting strong applications to maximize your chances.

Speaking about your international exposure and post-MBA goals: Leverage your international experience and interactions with regulators and supervisors. Highlight your ability to work in multicultural settings and your understanding of global business dynamics. Refine your post-MBA goals and align them with your past experiences and skills. Showcase how an MBA will bridge any gaps and accelerate your progress towards your desired career path.

While your GRE score is not exceptionally high, it is still within a competitive range for many MBA programs. Admissions committees consider multiple factors, including your work experience, academic performance, and other achievements. It's important to focus on other aspects of your application, such as essays, recommendations, and interviews, to highlight your strengths and potential. If you are unable to improve your score significantly, concentrate on crafting a compelling narrative and showcasing your unique qualities in the other components of your application.

Remember that admission decisions are not solely based on individual aspects of your profile but on the overall package you present, including your essays, recommendations, and interviews. Put your best foot forward in each component, tailor your application to each school's values and strengths, and demonstrate your passion, leadership potential, and ability to contribute to the program and the business community.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
MBA and Beyond

nkcnkc wrote:
Hello everyone,

I would greatly appreciate your guidance and honest assessment of my profile. Thank you in advance for your time and patience.

Education:
Mechanical Engineering, from Delhi Technological University (university ranked within the top 15 in India) with a GPA of 8.3/10 or 3.8/4, placing me in the 90th percentile of my batch.

Certifications:
I am a certified Financial Risk Manager (FRM), clearing both parts successfully in first attempt.

Test Scores:
I obtained a GRE score of 324 in my first attempt, with a breakdown of 165 in Quantitative and 159 in Verbal.

Work experience:
I currently possess 6 years of work experience, with a total of 7 years expected at the time of commencing the MBA program. My professional experience predominantly lies around Government of India (Public Sector).

I am working as a Central Banker (Manager) at the RBI since last 4 years, responsible for supervising and managing risks at one of the Globally Systemically Important Banks (GSIBs). This role involved regular interactions and meetings with the GSIB's Board and Senior Management. The supervisory reports I prepared are reviewed by high-ranking officials, including the Governor of the central bank. Significant number of officials from RBI and the supervised entity having direct reporting. For international experience: There are various interactions with regulators and supervisors in overseas jurisdiction on a regular basis, recent G20 hosting experience, leisure travelling overseas etc.

For 2 years, I worked at a Fortune 500 oil marketing company, ranked 142nd globally and 2nd in India among public sector companies. In this role, I managed technical operations at an oil plant and oversaw the supply chain management of white oil across a large geographic area. I led a team of around 30 individuals who reported directly to me.

Additional Experience:
1. Z S Associates: I also had a 3-month stint as a Business Operations Associate at a pharmaceutical consulting firm.
2. Furthermore, I completed summer internships at PEPSICO and a hyperlocal startup. During my undergraduate years, I co-founded a start-up, although it unfortunately did not succeed.

Active Involvement:
I have excelled in volleyball and chess at the national level. I have formed volleyball teams at the high school, university, and professional levels, including a team in Mumbai, where I am currently based.

Event Management:
I have experience in conceptualizing and executing corporate conferences and music concerts, benefiting from the opportunities available in Mumbai.

Past Leadership Roles:
During my undergraduate years, I served as the Cultural Secretary of the Student Union, having been elected by over 8000 students. Additionally, I was the Convenor for two years of the Annual Cultural Festival at my university. The festival attracted a footfall of 70,000 participants over three days and secured sponsorships exceeding Rs 1 crore (10 million INR) for each event.

Post-MBA Goals:
My post-MBA aspiration is to pursue a career in general consulting at MBB or similar firms. Alternatively, I am also interested in management roles within operations or risk management domains, preferably in the Middle East, and then in Europe. I am not inclined towards a finance-focused career and instead aim to explore different industries.

Thank you for taking the time to review my profile. I would greatly appreciate any feedback or additional insights you may have. I'm planning to apply in R1.

a) I would like to know my chances of being accepted into MBA programs at INSEAD, LBS, IESE, Oxbridge etc. (specifically looking for one-year- 15 months MBA programs).

b) Additionally, do I stand a chance of receiving a significant scholarship at lower-ranked US schools? Just wanted a second opinion here.

d) Lastly, will my relatively low GRE score be an impediment to securing admission at these schools? I plan to allocate more effort to my applications and do not anticipate significant bump in the score.

Thank you once again.
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey fjven888,

Your profile looks good on the surface. Speaking about your academics, your undergraduate GPA of 2.66 is lower than the average for top MBA programs. However, you mentioned that you faced mental health issues during college, which can be taken into consideration by admissions committees. It's important to address this in your application's optional essay or an additional statement to provide context and highlight your growth and resilience since then. Your minor in Business Administration can demonstrate your interest in business-related subjects.

Speaking about your work experience, three years of experience as an Associate Scientist in Molecular Biology at a biotech startup is a strong point in your profile. Highlight any significant projects, responsibilities, and achievements during this time. Demonstrating your ability to take on advanced tasks and learn new techniques will be valuable. Additionally, your sustainability challenge success and cross-functional collaboration experience with the C-suite showcase your leadership potential.

Your involvement in student government, cultural groups, and finance chair role for the university's International festival demonstrates your leadership and engagement. These activities can highlight your ability to work in diverse teams and showcase your interests beyond academics and work. Your background as a Filipino who moved to the United States adds to the diversity of your profile. Business schools value diverse perspectives and experiences, so make sure to highlight this aspect in your application.

Considering the schools you listed:

Harvard: Harvard Business School is highly competitive, and while your profile has strengths, the GPA might be a challenge. Focus on crafting a compelling narrative, emphasizing your growth, leadership potential, and unique experiences.

Duke, UNC, Emory, Tepper: These schools consider a holistic view of applicants and value diverse backgrounds. Your strong GRE score and relevant work experience can offset the lower GPA. Showcase your leadership experiences and cultural engagement.

Said (University of Oxford), CBS (Columbia Business School): These schools also value diversity and look for well-rounded candidates. Your international background and work experience in biotech align well with your goals. Highlight your leadership potential, experiences, and how an MBA will enhance your career trajectory.

Overall, while your lower GPA may present a challenge, it's important to focus on the other aspects of your profile, such as work experience, leadership, and diversity. Highlight your strengths, growth, and unique experiences in your application essays, recommendations, and interviews.

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
MBA and Beyond

fjven888 wrote:

SVP
SVP
Send PM
nkcnkc wrote:
Hello everyone,

Education:

Certifications:

Test Scores:

Work experience:

Additional Experience:

Active Involvement:

Event Management:

Past Leadership Roles:

Post-MBA Goals:

Thank you once again.

nkcnkc

I particularly like the variety of experiences in your profile. However, the discussion of industry and subject matter focus will be important from a goals perspective and will require a more in-depth conversation.

One aspect that business schools like to see in applicants' resumes is strong brand associations. Your four years of experience in RBI, India's leading primary regulator and supervisor of the banking sector, where you liaised with stakeholders and presented strategic insights to senior leadership, would be a significant asset on your resume. The more influential projects you can show from this experience, the more impact it will have on your target schools' admissions decisions. It is also important to reflect on your engagements with international stakeholders during your time at RBI, considering the dynamics of these interactions and their implications on project outcomes. Highlighting these experiences will effectively showcase your motivation to pursue a global MBA.

Your role at IOCL is interesting in that it demonstrates your action-oriented approach and leadership skills in managing teams in operations. You can effectively use this experience to demonstrate your hands-on approach.

Overall, your diverse experiences provide a solid foundation to position you as a strong candidate. Further exploration of your profile would provide a more comprehensive understanding of your strengths and potential contributions to your desired business schools.

Your GRE Score
Your GRE score presents a mixed bag. I'm uncertain if you are considering a retake but achieving a score of 328 or higher would provide you with a slight advantage at schools like LBS and INSEAD. If you would consider applying to U.S. schools, bigger scholarships are more readily available in the 20-30 ranking range for someone with your background.
Also note that taking time to establish connections with the schools such as networking with admissions offices and alumni and drawing meaningful insights for your applications, holds significant value. Therefore, create a targeted list of schools and focus on making a positive impression and demonstrating a strong interest to each of them from the get-go.

Your ECs
Decent but much scope for introspection. I recommend that you thoroughly consider your outside work engagements and analyze whether you might have overlooked any mundane, subtle initiatives you have taken over the years. For example, consider activities such as traveling, learning a new language, participating in diversity initiatives in the workplace (opposing gender discrimination, promoting diversity in the workforce), supporting those in need (financially or morally), teaching disadvantaged children, organizing diversity conversations or outside activities to promote better collaboration between teams, and more. Sometimes, it requires some soul searching to discover the ways in which you have contributed to your community.

Focus on raising your score if possible, particularly in the Verbal section (it is relatively easier than improving on the GMAT verbal I think). Apart from that, craft a solid goals strategy based on the schools you decide to apply to (understand feeder pipelines, industry focus, and geography). Substantiate your goals with examples of speaking with experts and potential recruiters. Formulate your goals carefully, showcasing the value proposition you bring to MBB or other desired roles. Consider having backup plans (Plan B) and back them up with insights gained from networking with graduates, potential recruiters, and industry experts. This demonstrates proactive planning for your future career success.

d) Lastly, will my relatively low GRE score be an impediment to securing admission at these schools? I plan to allocate more effort to my applications and do not anticipate a significant score increase.

If it comes down to stats at the end, where the schools may have received similar profiles with well-executed essays and interviews, the GMAT/GRE will be a deciding factor. It's hard to predict the outcome with a 324 on GRE for schools like INSEAD or LBS. It could go either way. I would suggest that you add HEC Paris to your list as it also has a great emphasis on leadership and general management.

Feel free to connect for more guidance and candid conversation regarding suitable MBA programs.

MBAGuideConsulting
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
sourabhchandra09 wrote:
Request to please evaluate my profile for ISB admission.

Male, Age 35 years, work exp: 11 years.
GMAT Score: 720

10th-93.40 % (CBSE)
12th-62.20% (CBSE)
Graduation, B.Tech (WBUT)-8.34 CGPA (yr 2010)

Work Experience:-
1. 04 years work exp. in VLSI domain (Electronics) in wipro technologies.
2.02 years worked as assistant engineer(electrical) in state psu and looked after the maintenance of 110/11KV substation which involved maitenance of transformers, relays etc.
3.05 years+ working experience in coal india, working as deputy manager and looking after the electrical machinaries of Mines.

Extracurricular/hobbies:-
1.Reading profiles & balance sheet of companies.
2.Reading fictional/non fictional novels.

Hi sourabhchandra09, you have a good profile overall. My comments:

Academics: Your GMAT is in the competitive range for ISB (average of the 2022 ISB class was around 710). Your 10th and B.Tech scores are strong, however 12th grades are lower. Make sure to highlight quant-related courses where you scored well, to alleviate any concerns.

Work Experience & goals: Your 11 years of work experience in diverse domains such as VLSI, electrical engineering and mining demonstrate a strong professional background. Make sure to highlight your achievements (challenges you faced, activities you performed, and the quantified impact of your actions) in each of these roles to demonstrate your unique skills. Also, if Operations Management is a post MBA goal, highlight transferable skills from your past roles e.g. analytical problem-solving, communication & leadership skills, financial & business acumen, etc.

Why MBA/ ISB: Having a clear response to why MBA is important to ensure both that you know what you are getting into, and for the AdCom to appreciate your motivations. One way to approach this is to do a "Destination Analysis" i.e. where do you want to be ~5 years from now (target sector, function, geography) and then using the MBA as a bridge to help you get there efficiently. Once you know the destination, identifying how exactly an MBA can help becomes easier e.g. the skillsets that it will help you develop, professional networks that it would open you to, etc. Similarly, research about ISB and identify precisely which resources within the school (e.g. which clubs, industry connects, alumni network, etc.) will help you achieve your goals.

Extracurricular Activities: Good to highlight your key learnings from reading profiles and balance sheets of companies. This demonstrates your intellectual curiosity and passion towards businesses, which is a plus. Also talk about some of the novels you have read, what you learned about life, etc. The goal of hobbies is to showcase your well-rounded personality i.e. beyond just scores.

Feel free to reach out for a chat.

Regards,
Arvind
HEC Paris MBA alum, Admissions interviewer
W: https://admitstreet.com | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com | M: +(91)-974-126-3950
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
AlexSeba wrote:
Hi all,

I am a Swiss - Italian citizen, studying at HSG in St. Gallen (Switzerland) (Top European B-School) and I want to apply for my master at HEC Paris for the MiF or ESCP Master in Finance.

I am pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Economics, Major in Data Economics and Minor in Financial Economics; moreover, I pursued a Certificate in Data Science Fundamentals.

I have a GPA of 5.05/6 (~84/85%).

I had a semester experience in Singapore at SMU (GPA ~B+), I had an internship opportunity at SBF (Chamber of Commerce of Singapore) as a Contract Consultant, where I had to work with the Head of European Markets and I reported directly to him (plus I was the leader of a small group of 4 people). In such a timeframe I also had the chance to travel around South-East Asia from Indonesia to Cambodia.

Beside my NOT-B-RELATED Experiences (Waiter, Bartender, Delivery Man, etc.). I had the following experiences:

- Business Developer for an Italian Start-Up in the Deep Tech (still now);

- Research Assistant at EQx, which is an European Index created by my university (EQx 2023 delivered);

- Junior Consultant in the Operation Department in Switzerland, where I report directly to the COO and CFO (rarely) (still now).

I speak fluently Italian and English (C2 level), German and Swiss German basic working knowledge, and I have a basic / elementary knowledge of French and Russian; in addition, I personally know how to say thank you in 20+ languages.

I am currently Head of Finance of a LGBTQ+ Swiss Association and CFO & VP of a LGBTQ+ University Association.

I had do to an IQ test (WISC-IV) while I was in middle school and I got an average of 122 (maximum: 127).

I will apply for a GMAT (or GRE) Test in the next semester (Jan 24).

Now (and sorry for the long message), what you all can suggest me to do? Do I stand a chance to get in Top-B-Schools or not? Should I learn new specific skills or improve some area of my knowledge? Any help, hint, insight, or advice?

Anything is very much appreciated!

-Alex

AlexSeba, thanks for sharing your details. Your profile is good overall. Noted below my comments:

Academics: Your GPA is good so far. As MiF is your goal, try to pursue more Finance-related courses, and maintain strong grades.

Standardized Tests: Aim for a high (720+) score in GMAT/ GRE: this will significantly enhance your chances of admission. Have a clear plan, identify your strengths/ weaknesses across sub-sections & question-types, and follow through accordingly. Feel free to reach out if you need access to a free GMAT Study plan that I prepared with inputs from 730+ scorers.

Professional Experience: Continue gaining relevant work experience in the finance field, particularly in areas related to your career goals. Pursue internships or part-time positions that allow you to further develop your financial skills and knowledge. In your applications, make sure to highlight the lessons you learned and how these would translate to your MiF and post-MiF journey.

Language Proficiency: Since you are aiming for some of the top French schools, improving your French language skills can help. Consider taking language courses or engaging in language exchange programs. This can demonstrate to the AdComs your willingness to learn a new language, and can make your life in France easier and more enjoyable (integrating into their culture etc.).

Feel free to reach out for a chat.

Regards,
Arvind
HEC Paris MBA alum, Admissions interviewer
W: https://admitstreet.com | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com | M: +(91)-974-126-3950
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15  ...  24