Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:18 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.54
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10018 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Calling all HEC Paris MBA applicants:(Jan2018 intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
If anyone is interested in becoming ThreadMaster for this thread, please PM your request to me. As a Threadmaster you are expected to spend 5-10 minutes daily on the thread, engage other applicants in the discussion, create positive environment, and ensure healthy and helpful conversation among applicants. Here you can learn more about duties and responsibilities of Threadmasters as well as benefits.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/be-the-coole ... 52204.html
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all HEC Paris MBA applicants:(Jan2018 intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]
Expert Reply

New ThreadMaster for HEC Paris Discussion

Hi Guys - Please join me in welcoming anujbairoliya as a Thread Master for HEC Paris MBA Thread (January 2018 Intake). We are thrilled to have him on the site and joining the Thread Master ranks. He joined GMAT Club community in 2015 and has since then demonstrated leadership and helpfulness in forum discussions. He is applying to HEC Paris and few other schools this year.

If anyone has any questions about HEC Paris forum, deadlines, school stats, feel free to PM him. For now, welcome him and wish him best of luck as the ThreadMaster.

Best Regards,
Narenn
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Narenn wrote:

New ThreadMaster for HEC Paris Discussion

Hi Guys - Please join me in welcoming anujbairoliya as a Thread Master for HEC Paris MBA Thread (January 2018 Intake). We are thrilled to have him on the site and joining the Thread Master ranks. He joined GMAT Club community in 2015 and has since then demonstrated leadership and helpfulness in forum discussions. He is applying to HEC Paris and few other schools this year.

If anyone has any questions about HEC Paris forum, deadlines, school stats, feel free to PM him. For now, welcome him and wish him best of luck as the ThreadMaster.

Best Regards,
Narenn

Thanks Narenn for the kind words. I will try my best to keep this forum lively.

Best,
Anuj
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Alexander Eldred Uses his MBA to Make a Triple Jump

Alexander Eldred, Class of 2016

Alexander Eldred (MBA ’16) is no stranger to creating new opportunities. Upon earning his undergraduate degree, the American moved to China pursue a career in global food exports with a startup, learning to speak Chinese on the job. After completing his MBA at HEC Paris, he underwent a complete career transformation, changing job sector, function and location.

We asked Alexander how a German Literature and Biochemistry undergraduate was able to leverage an MBA degree to become the Head of After-Market Services at Amazon France.

What does your job at Amazon France entail?

I deal with all of the customers’ returns that come back in a damaged condition. My challenge is to continuously improve the customer experience, and at the same time maximize the value we get from these returned products.

Why an MBA?

Everything I had ever done professionally until the MBA I had learned on the job, so I was looking for a more academic understanding of these tasks. I wanted to know how to read a balance sheet; I wanted the basics of accounting, the basics of marketing. I thought that having these skills could really help me solidify my career, and they did.

You’ve mentioned only hard skills. What about the soft skills you learned during the MBA?

Amazon is a very data-driven environment. The core MBA classes such as finance, accounting—even marketing—are very data-driven, and they help me to operate effectively in that type of environment.

Even so, data interpretation is only worthwhile if you can communicate your findings to other people. I deal with the whole spectrum of the workforce at Amazon France, from folks in our warehouses to senior leaders. Every day, I apply the communication skills that I learned during my MBA.

The school also provides a safe environment to try out different leadership styles. You simply don’t have a whole lot of flexibility to experiment with leadership when you’re on the job, and HEC offers plenty of chances to test yourself.

Part of what the school builds is confidence—the confidence to navigate new places, in new languages, with new people.

We like to talk about our 92 percent international students. What did you learn from having such an international classroom?

In almost every class at the HEC Paris MBA you have to stand in front of other students and defend your interpretation of things. It’s a great way to learn public speaking. Moreover, there would usually be 6 other groups presenting and interpreting the same cases. Very quickly, you learn that there are multiple valid opinions on the same subject.

One case study I particularly remember asked if L’Occitaine en Provence, the French cosmetics company, should expand into the lifestyle segment by opening up cafés. My group, which was mainly made up of North Americans, concluded no. Yet a group of Europeans, and students from India and from China, came up with a completely opposite approach, one which was equally valid. For me, that really emphasized how important it is to learn alongside a diverse group of students.

Did the MBA help open the door to Amazon as well?

There is no way I would have had my job at Amazon without the MBA. Europe and France, like any other job markets in the world, aren’t necessarily open—you can’t just breeze in from another continent and easily get a job. Doing my MBA in France was part of an overall strategic goal to get a foot in the door in the country. It worked out great.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

One piece of advice I have for current students is to not be shy about asking for help. If you’re curious about what an alumnus is doing, look them up on LinkedIn. Spend a lot of time going to HEC Paris Alumni Association events. Introduce yourself. If you’re looking for a job, let us know if we can help.

I’m always happy to help current students, because so many people did it for me when I was in the program. It’s why I like to come out to the campus, to say hello every once in a while.

The post Alexander Eldred Uses his MBA to Make a Triple Jump appeared first on HEC MBA Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: NUS '19
GMAT 1: 680 Q34 V49
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Hello,

I just started my application for HEC yesterday. Any idea which deadline I should target? I also need some help on assessing my profile. I have completed the candidate profile and submitted, yet to hear a response. But I wanted to check if someone can help me with a more detailed review of my profile.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
@anujbairoliya welcome! I'm the threadMaster for INSEAD January batch.

https://MBAPrepCoach.COM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sanjayshenoy1988 wrote:
Hello,

I just started my application for HEC yesterday. Any idea which deadline I should target? I also need some help on assessing my profile. I have completed the candidate profile and submitted, yet to hear a response. But I wanted to check if someone can help me with a more detailed review of my profile.

Hey Sanjay,

I would say that you target the round when you fee that your application is ready and is strong enough to get you a interview call. Do not delay it beyond July deadline as I have heard most of the class fills by that time.

Best,
Anuj
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Why is this place so silent? How may applicants have got admits in recent rounds?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Students Share their Favorite Places in Paris
It’s one thing to visit Paris as a tourist, as nearly 15 million people do every year. But the real magic happens when you have the time to simply inhabit the city, to meander its side streets and find the places normally reserved for in-the-know Parisians. To help fuel your wanderlust for the 2,000-year-old French capital, we’ve asked a few HEC Paris MBA students to share their favorite outposts, discovered during their 16-month-long studies in France:

Bibliotheque Mazarine, photo by Ysabella Poblete

Best place to study: Bibliothèque Mazarine, 23 Quai de Conti, 6th Arrondisement
History: Originating from the private collection of Cardinal Mazarin, France’s oldest public library is known for saving many of the books confiscated during the French Revolution. The grand reading room dates from the 17th-century, when it was designed by King Louis XIV’s preferred architect, Louis Le Vau.

When: Weekdays before or during exam weeks

Recommended by Ysabella Poblete, MBA ’18: “The library is well lit from its gilded lamps, massive windows, and imposing chandeliers. The classic wooden chairs and tables are so comfortable you won’t notice that you’ve been sitting there for hours. Not to mention the WIFI is ultrafast and reliable. The library is located near Rue de Seine, which houses charming cafés and art galleries giving you the perfect place to wander aimlessly if you need a break from studying.”

Favorite Garden: Jardin du Luxembourg, Rue de Médicis, 6th Arrondisement
History: These well-manicured, 25 hectares of land, commissioned by Queen Marie de Medici in 1612, feature classically styled English and French gardens, a geometric forest, and an orchard with nearly forgotten varieties of apples.

Jardin du Luxembourg

When: Year-round

Recommended by Intan Elfarani, MBA ’18: “I love the setting, because in Jakarta, there aren’t any big and beautiful spaces like this. The first time I sat in one of the benches in front of Luxembourg Palace was in the winter, and parts of the park were still green. It was so good for my eyes. Now with the sunny weather, the park is really beautiful. My French is super-basic, but occasionally I’ll speak with the older ladies walking their dogs. They are always really nice. Paris is great, because there are so many different cultures of people.”

Ege and Emre from 5 Pailles, photo by Melinda Aulie

Coffee shop: 5 Pailles, 79 Rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis, 10th Arrondisement
History: Though it opened at the beginning of 2017, Vogue has already named this coffeehouse one of the “New Paris Spots to Check Out.” The magazine heralded its “curated interior design, fresh fragrant beans and perfect latte art.”

When:  Late-afternoon gouter

Recommended by Melinda Aulie, MBA ’18: “It’s more than the delicious lattés or the rosemary-orange tea cake. Owners Ege and Emre have created a home away from home for me in Paris. The shop’s pastry selection is incredible—they are always introducing new ones—but I prefer the chocolate chip cookies, which are as good as the ones you can get in the United States.”

Wine Bar: L’Arrière Cour, 9 Rue Biot, 17th Arrondisement
History: In the three months since its opening, L’Arrière Cour has earned a reputation for its yummy cocktails and wide selection of wines. To accompany drinks such as the Pop Colada (rum infused with popcorn, vanilla liqueur, crème of coco and pineapple juice), chef Raphael Garnier has created a menu which features mini plates such as sea-bream ceviche and squid stuffed with mushrooms and pine nuts.

L’Arrière Cour

When: You need a break from the hustle and bustle of Paris

Recommended by Martin Dion, MBA ’17: “Secreted away at the end of a courtyard on rue Biot, L’Arriére Cour is one of the 17th arrondissement’s best finds. Its entrance is hidden—to enter, you must go through a porte cochère (carriage entrance). A candle-lit path leads to this charming, quiet space which features a fountain, a winter garden and plenty of creative cocktails and appetizers. If you go, ask for François or Félicien, and tell them Martin sent you.”

Favorite exhibit: 5th floor of the Musée d’Orsay, 1 Rue de la Lègion d’Honneur, 7th Arrondisement

Nina de Callias by Édouard Manet

History: When Impressionism emerged as an art movement in the late 19Th century, the French critics scoffed at it. “A wallpaper pattern is more highly finished than this seascape,” was one critique of Claude Monet’s early work Sunrise (1874).

When: With friends

Recommended by Allison Scott, MBA ’17: “I went to the Musée d’Orsay when I was 18, during my first visit to Paris. It’s still my favorite museum, partially because of the building’s beautiful architecture and natural light. Every time I have friends in town, I take them to the Fifth Floor to see the Impressionist paintings. At the end, we’ll always guess which ones are the other’s favorites. There is a painting that I love there, by Manet, of a pale lady with dark hair and dark eyes lounging on a sofa. Her face is amazing; I could look at it for hours.”

The post Students Share their Favorite Places in Paris appeared first on HEC MBA Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Science (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
HEC sounds great. It's really a top notch school and living in Paris is kind of a dream come true. I can speak a bit of French so it's not a big deal but funding is going to be a huge issue. Apart from the tuition, there's the living expenses of living in a place like Paris...

Has anyone applied this year?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: AGSM '20 (S)
Send PM
sanjayshenoy1988 wrote:
Hello,

Hey buddy.. did u recieved any communication from hec after ur submission?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: AGSM '20 (S)
Send PM
Anyone applying or applied for jan 2018 intake?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.42
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I am finishing writing the essays, I am aiming at the June 1° deadline
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: A Taste of Home

Our Kitchen is a tasty, student-run startup

A food-sharing startup is luring hungry HEC Paris MBA students away from the school cafeteria to exotic, home-cooked meals

If there’s one thing on-campus students crave, it’s a home-cooked meal. Preferably one prepared by someone else–someone who actually has time to cook–and who knows the flavors of their homeland.

Shir and Siddharth making a delivery

That’s why three HEC Paris MBA students—Siddharth Gurnani, Varad Deshpande and Shir Sheftel–created Our Kitchen, an online marketplace that connects home cooks with hungry customers at HEC Paris. The food-sharing platform has already had 165 eager customers subscribe since its January launch. Members log in, choose a mealtime and meal, then anticipate the delivery of tasty, exotic dishes such as Korean Bibimbap spiced with gochujang sauce and hot Aaloo Paratha (stuffed Indian bread) served with melted butter.

The startup builds upon an idea that started several years ago within the MBA, in which partners of students occasionally sell homemade lunches. “I participated in one of those events, and everyone wanted to try the food,” Siddharth says. “We started brainstorming, and decided to expand on the idea of just cooking and selling food. We decided to create a platform and work toward a much bigger solution. We’re at a business school, after all, and we have a really good test market, so we went for it.”

The co-founders each agreed to kick-in a small amount of money—just enough to create the marketing materials and launch the website—then contacted people they knew who shared their passion for cooking. On the advice of the HEC Entrepreneurship Center, they decided to release the platform quickly, to discover if there was really a market for their product.

Varad cooking an egg breakfast at Expansiel

One of the benefits of launching a campus-based startup is the freedom to experiment. Siddarth explains that the project is a pilot, a learning-by-doing experience which, if successful, the co-founders plan to continue after graduation on a much larger scale. “We want to understand what the true pain points are when it comes to cooking,” he says. “What would prevent someone who knows how to cook, who likes to cook, from taking the step of selling their dishes online: Is it prep, is it delivery, or are there other logistical issues like grocery shopping? That’s what we’ve set out to discover.”

No matter the final outcome, the startup has already found its success in the stomachs of hungry students. Nearly 600 meals have been sold through the meal-sharing platform since the beginning of the year.

The post A Taste of Home appeared first on HEC MBA Blog.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: HEC '15 (A$)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Field Visit to Beaune

HEC Paris MBA students took an exciting field visit to Burgundy, visiting Beaune, a walled village in the center of the winemaking region, and took part in a private tour of the Faiveley wine cellars in Nuit St. Georges. The group included Cristina Harrell, Stephanie Rickards, Barbara Calvi, Antonio Mont’Alverne, Flore Poughon and Julien Perronneau. They were joined by Associate Dean of the MBA Program, Andrea Masini, Affiliate Professor Anne Michaut, an expert in luxury marketing and Adjunct Professor Alain Lorenzo, the former President & CEO LVMH Fragrance Brands.

The post Field Visit to Beaune appeared first on HEC MBA Blog.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Hi All,

I am looking for a thread for admitted students (HEC Paris MBA).
Need your help.

Abrakadabra
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts