Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
20 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2280

Kudos [?]: 8836 [20] , given: 3668

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 20:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Best Resume and CV Formatting, Templates and Tips

Edit: I decided to put this compilation together from a number of previous threads and discussions, most notably, the 2009/2010 Best Resume thread. If you have any tips, suggestions, or questions about Resumes - please post them here. - BB

Resume Books

Resume Resources & Links

Best Resume Tips

(Collected from GMAT Club Members)
  • By 3underscore - NYU Stern Alumni 2009 | Occupation: Equity Research
    • Edit, edit, edit. Use action words. Define achievements with tangible values (reduced costs by x%, process time by x days, saved one FTE...)
    • It has to fit to a page. There is no way any MBA student should not be able to get their resume to one page. If it needs jobs to be dropped at the bottom, roles to be grouped more - whatever, get it to one page.
    • Especially focus on the "hangers" with two or three words on the next line. and Edit.
    • Font - I would go really simple. Times, Arial, Helvetica - the really anonymous type face. If electronic, make sure it is an intersystem generic font. Maybe search through here and see some or the business school templates you can find.
    • On a person note, Don't put interests including crochet knitting, fine wine and cheese or stuff like that or I will never interview you.
  • Shadow - Yale SOM 2012 Student
    • One tip that i found was to make your resume look more "standard". Look at the link to the Tuck business school resume book for their graduating class. i basically copied their format to make my resume look more professional.
  • MBACrystalBall (admissions consultant)
    • Always leave some 'white-space' within the CV. And I'm not just talking about the margins. The reviewer's eyes need a (visual) break too.
  • Zakk - Haas Alumni
    • Leave out technical specifications - you need to write the resume for the Bschool, not an employer. C++, Flash, Mcirosoft-whathaveyou (can you tell I'm not in tech!) will mean very little. Focus on leadership, accomplishments, promotions and other weird stuff. Did you get shipped to the UK to oversee a big client and supervise a team? I would spend words on that over a jargon filled sentence on what you're knowledge base is.
  • Lepium - Ross Alumni
    • Only 1 suggestion: don't go over 1 page unless you are 50+ years old. Specially if you are under 30, 1 page ought to do it just fine, while 2 would sound either arrogant or boring.
  • Kryzak - Haas Alum 2012; 5,000+ posts on GMAT Club
    • Also remember, for those of you who might leave your extracurricular stuff off the resume, that some interviews are blind to your application, so all they know about you and all their questions are from your resume. Keep that in mind when you work your resume for the different schools. Haas interviewers are blind to your app
  • Aaudetat - Duke 2009 Alum
    • If You've been a self-employed consultant, this is really ONE JOB. This ain't pretty, but you can lay it out on the resume like this:

Self-Employed Consultant
      2002-Present
      Key Projects:
      * Acted as Steve Jobs' muse for I-Phone creation
      * Led strategy for Martha Stewarts' comeback

They'll get the idea of what you've done, and they'll know that you can't describe every project you worked on.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by bb on 29 Jul 2011, 11:57, edited 2 times in total.
Reorganized the sections
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 04:35
Thanks bb for compiling all this information. Great timing!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.7
WE: Supply Chain Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 18:01
This post received
KUDOS
First post on GMATClub! Ironically about resumes.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear thoughts on the "summary of qualifications/briefing/objective" section of a resume. I have this on my professional resume but am not sure of its place for MBA apps. I've browsed through a few resume books and see a mixed bag.

Considering options:

A) Keep brief 4 sentence section as is
B) Narrow down into 1 more impactful sentence
C) Eliminate all together

For what its worth: I'm just over a page "as is" and should be able to clean it up to exactly 1 page with formatting
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1392 [1] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 18:03
This post received
KUDOS
I'm no expert on this issue, but all the opinions I've heard so far say no to the objective section.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 02:10
Really appreciate the resume books to get an idea of what to include/how to format it- thanks!
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 11:12
Thanks for this thread and bringing all those links together!

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 11:13
Also, the resumes book are very interesting. I wonder if those should be used universally... or should those be reserved for those specific school (Dartmouth) applications?

Brandon Hoffman

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 12:06
Thanks bb for getting all the links together...

Wanted a suggestion regarding extracurricular activities during college...Is it advisable to segregate the extracurricular activities into two sections in the resume (college & post-college) or should all of them be ideally clubbed under just one section?

Are there any best practices around the no. of sections a resume should have?

Current Student

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 19:35
Thats a great Q. I had a similar one, in regards to clubs and time donated after college... If those are still highly regarded or if they only look at activities during undergrad

Posted from my mobile device Image

Brandon Hoffman

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2280

Kudos [?]: 8836 [0], given: 3668

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 19:39
Expert's post
scorpionz wrote:
Thanks bb for getting all the links together...

Wanted a suggestion regarding extracurricular activities during college...Is it advisable to segregate the extracurricular activities into two sections in the resume (college & post-college) or should all of them be ideally clubbed under just one section?

Are there any best practices around the no. of sections a resume should have?

I think you want one section unless that's the meat of your resume. Take a look at some of the samples available (Resume books/etc).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 22:50
bb wrote:
I think you want one section unless that's the meat of your resume. Take a look at some of the samples available (Resume books/etc).

I had actually had a look at the books and had found only 3 sections in most of the resumes...I guess in my heart I knew that it had to be 3 sections but I'm a big fan of 4 sections since it clearly demarcates the college & the post-college stages..My current resume has the following sections -
1. Professional Experience
2. Extracurricular Activities - Post College
3. Education
4. Extracurricular Activities - College

However, if the best practice is to just have 3, then I guess I'll have to merge the two extracurricular sections and ensure that the wording clearly indicates when that activity was done i.e. during college or post college!

Thanks for your response!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 22:36
Nice One. Such an useful information is shared.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [3] , given: 0

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 12:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here are some tips from Aringo for a strong CV:

"CV Speak"
- Less is more.
o Drop any word that is not likely to promote any admission driver.
o If you can say something in two ways, say it in the shorter way.

- In CV's, use "word economy" as much as possible. For example:
o Instead of: the largest bank in Canada --> Canada's largest bank
o Instead of: a project worth $1 million --> a $1 million project
o Instead of: the financial status of the company --> the company's financial status
o Instead of: negotiations that lasted one year --> one-year-long negotiations

- Words such as "of", "for", "in", "which", "that" should raise a flag: here's a place where you may be able to change the text to "word economy" structure.

- In "CV Speak" you may omit "a" and "the" although it's grammatically incorrect. This is common practice for resume-type documents, to keep them short. For
example: "Led company's negotiations" instead of "led the company's negotiations".

- However, in about half the cases, it's impressive and better to keep the word "the".
o We keep the word "the" when we want to emphasize that something or someone is "The real thing" (singular).
o Examples: "Received the Distinguished Soldier Award", "Presented the company's annual plan to the CEO"

- Try to use the word "and" as little as possible. We need the sentences to be brief and crisp.
o Instead of using "and":
Either say just one of the things instead of two - one is often enough.
Or
Break one long sentence into two short sentences. We need the sentences to be short.
o For example:
The candidate wrote: "Negotiated deal terms and structure with the CEO".
The word "and" raises a flag – maybe there's room for improvement here.
Two alternatives:
1. One wing is enough: "Negotiated deal terms with the CEO"
2. Break into two sentences:
Negotiated deal terms with the CEO.
Negotiated deal structure with the CEO.
o Obviously, in this case alternative 1 is better.

- Try to avoid using words such as "I", "my", "our"

Work Experience
- Work experience is comprised of responsibilities (less important) and achievements (more important).
- The responsibilities and achievements usually start with a verb.
- Avoid using subjective terms such as "excellent" or "fast", use facts and objective terms only.
- If the numbers related to the responsibility/achievement are large/impressive, provide them. Otherwise, don't.
o Often you can turn an unimpressive number into an impressive number by using %.
o For example, if sales went up from $10,000 to $30,000 - these numbers are not impressive, you don't want to use them.
o Instead, you can say: "sales went up 200%". This is true, and more impressive.
- Consider including work in the family business (if there is any) - part time or full time.
- If a person was only doing projects, one after the other, there may be no responsibilities, just achievements.
- Try to describe any position in laymen terms. Avoid technical/professional explanations.

Responsibilities

- Responsibility examples:
o "Manage a team of 4".
o Conduct development review meetings.
- Responsibilities in the current position start with verbs in the present simple tense ("manage").
- Responsibilities in past positions start with verbs in the past tense ("managed").
Teaching assistant positions: if a teaching assistant position included leading class sessions of 50 students - say it (gives us points on presentation and leadership skills).

Achievements

Achievement example:
- Achieved a 120% increase in Department's net income within 18 months.
o Reorganized the three import activities to fit with the new zero inventory model.
o Re-structured the costing, pricing and financing models of the activities.
o Re-negotiated supplier and client contracts.

- Achievements are a critical component in the CV. We need strong, impressive achievements.
- Achievement bullets usually start with verbs in the past tense.
- An achievement is often connected with a specific project.
- An achievement is comprised of "action" and "result".
- You may use sub-bullets, which are sub-components of the general action or of the result.

The result part of the achievement

- The result sentences are specific facts.
- The result should include numbers if possible.

Placing the Result in the Achievement
- Four recommended options for placing the result:
o Option 1: The main, upper bullet will be short. It will hardly include anything but the result. We often use this option if the result is exceptionally impressive. Example:
• Led the second largest sale in the company's 20-year history.
o Managed…
o Negotiated…

o Option 2: Put both the action part and the result part in the main bullet and connect them with words such as:
that cut
that generated
which saved
which netted
which created
which increased
that decreased, etc.

Example:
• Led creation of system that cut quarterly analysis costs by $12,000.
o Managed…
o Persuaded…

o Option 3: Put both the action part and the result part in the main bullet. Put them in two separate sentences. For example:
• Led post-merger strategy development [[action]]. Net income increased by 15% within two years [[result]].
o Managed…
o Presented…

o Option 4: if the result is not that impressive -
Either include the result in a sub-bullet.
Or do NOT mention the result at all.
If the action part is also not impressive, consider dropping the achievement.

- Try to avoid "spoon-feeding" words such as "resulting in" and "leading to" ("…resulting in a 20% increase in annual profits").
- Which of the above 4 options to choose?
o The more impressive the result, the more conspicuous (glaring) it should be.
o Use your judgment and practical (content) considerations.

The best results

- The best descriptions of results are relative (descriptions that compare the result to other results).
For example:
o "Fastest promotion in the Division's history"
o CEO Alan Corey cited project as "one of the three most successful projects in the company's history" (company's annual conference, 11/02/09).

- If needed: develop, together with the client, a metric that measures the result.
For example:
o "defect occurrence rate":
Reduced defect occurrence rate by 50%.
o "on-time delivery ratio":
Increased the on-time delivery ratio from 70% to 90% within one year (2002).
o "labor costs":
Led a training program for customer integration teams which generated support-labor cost savings of 50%.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HEC Jan'16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 29

Reviews Badge
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 16:29
Great thread. Just what I was looking for !

Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 05:46
is it worth mentioning onsite experiences in the resume?

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2014, 00:54
Expert's post
Dear all,
Here is some info we gathered on the resume requirements at the top MBA programs:

Berkeley Haas - Required (unlimited)
Chicago Booth - Required (1 to 2 pages)
Columbia - Required (1 to 2 pages)
Cornell - Required (up to 500 KB)
Darden - Required (unlimited)
Duke Fuqua - Required (1 page only)
Harvard - Required (1 to 2 pages)
IE - Required (at most two pages long)
IESE - Required (1 to 2 pages, one page is preferable)
INSEAD - Not required
Kellogg - Required (unlimited)
LBS - Required (1 page only)
Michigan Ross - Required (1 to 2 pages)
Sloan-MIT - Required (no more than 1 page, up to 50 lines)
Stern-NYU - Required (unlimited)
Stanford - Required (suggested length is one page)
Tepper - Required (limit 2 pages)
Tuck - Required (unlimited)
UCLA Anderson - Required (2 pages maximum)
Wharton - Required (1 page only)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2014, 13:38
The link STAR Resume Format by University of Washington (Foster) - PDF redirects to a 404.
Any chance you have an updated link?
Thanks! :)
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Templates & Tips 2011/2012   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2014, 13:38