Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 08:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [4] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 11:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Ironically there's been no dedicated thread to this. So I thought it would be a good idea to initiate one to discuss best practices about Font/Margins/Length/ECs/what to put and what not to. Please feel free to share your ideas and information. I am personally trying to bring mine to 12pt / 1.0" margin but it is getting extremely tough.

This discussion has been retired. Please see this post instead: best-resume-cv-format-templates-117758.html

For Resume Books (books created by each Business School for the Graduating MBA class), see these links:

Also:
Should you change/tailor resume for each school: changing-resume-format-for-each-school-87840.html
How to note consulting role on the resume: how-to-note-consulting-role-on-resume-87797.html

Last edited by bb on 18 Nov 2012, 22:43, edited 12 times in total.
links added
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [2] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Resume/CV Tips [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 12:05
This post received
KUDOS
rao_1857 wrote:
Ironically there's been no dedicated thread to this. So I thought it would be a good idea to initiate one to discuss best practices about Font/Margins/Length/ECs/what to put and what not to. Please feel free to share your ideas and information. I am personally trying to bring mine to 12pt / 1.0" margin but it is getting extremely tough.

Edit, edit, edit. Use action words. Define achievements with tangible values (reduced costs by x%, process time by x days, saved one FTE...)

It has to fit to a page. There is no way any MBA student should not be able to get their resume to one page. If it needs jobs to be dropped at the bottom, roles to be grouped more - whatever, get it to one page.

Especially focus on the "hangers" with two or three words on the next line. and Edit.

Don't include everything about the item - leave people something to want to ask questions about while being impressive, rather than being so clear on what it was they are simply absorbing data.

on a personal tip...

Don't put interests including crochet knitting, fine wine and cheese or stuff like that or I will never interview you.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Resume/CV Tips [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 13:47
3underscore wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:

Edit, edit, edit. Use action words. Define achievements with tangible values (reduced costs by x%, process time by x days, saved one FTE...)

It has to fit to a page. There is no way any MBA student should not be able to get their resume to one page. If it needs jobs to be dropped at the bottom, roles to be grouped more - whatever, get it to one page.

Especially focus on the "hangers" with two or three words on the next line. and Edit.

Don't include everything about the item - leave people something to want to ask questions about while being impressive, rather than being so clear on what it was they are simply absorbing data.

on a personal tip...

Don't put interests including crochet knitting, fine wine and cheese or stuff like that or I will never interview you.

Hi Underscore ... thanks for your valuable input. Any suggestions on Font and Margins ?

thanks in advance
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Resume/CV Tips [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 18:03
Noone really ever checks margins. Run with what you think looks right - definitely don't go too far, but that is a print and look thing. If you get it wrong, they will not care too much and teach you otherwise (plus tear your resume apart so it fits).

Font - I would go really simple. Times, Arial, Helvetica - the really anonymous type face. If electronic, make sure it is an intersystem generic font. Maybe search through here and see some or the business school templates you can find.

Really, it matters little against the content (except if you do something really unconventional).

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Resume/CV Tips [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 07:18
3underscore wrote:
Noone really ever checks margins. Run with what you think looks right - definitely don't go too far, but that is a print and look thing. If you get it wrong, they will not care too much and teach you otherwise (plus tear your resume apart so it fits).

Font - I would go really simple. Times, Arial, Helvetica - the really anonymous type face. If electronic, make sure it is an intersystem generic font. Maybe search through here and see some or the business school templates you can find.

Really, it matters little against the content (except if you do something really unconventional).

Perfect!!! Make sense...

With font I am going TR 11
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Best Resume/CV Tips [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 16:59
one tip that i found was to make your resume look more "standard". i forget where i found this, but someone had a link to the Tuck business school resume book for their graduating class. i basically copied their format to make my resume look more professional. i suppose if you can get copies of a resume book from the specific schools you're applying to, then you can make the corresponding changes to your resume.

GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Resume/CV Tips [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 02:04
There are many ways to lay out your CV. Therefore it is important to select the proper format. The standard font size for a CV is 12. Ariel and Time New Roman are both acceptable fonts. A CV should also never exceed two Pages of A4 paper.

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2276

Kudos [?]: 8791 [3] , given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best Resume/CV Tips [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 15:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Wanted to add this link to the thread:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 15:44
This post received
KUDOS
thanks - i had been looking for the tuck resume book for awhile. tuck used to have it on their website, but later took it down.

GMAT Debrief

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [3] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 14:32
This post received
KUDOS
Best piece of advice I've seen regarding resumes is to use the formats of the schools you're applying to.
Here's a collection of resume templates:
http://www.mbagameplan.com/mba_resume_samples/

!
MBA Game Plan shows up as a Malware site by both Google Chrome and FireFox. Access at your own risk!

Last edited by bb on 26 Jul 2011, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Updated link
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
It appears that the link to the Darden resume book is broken. Just a heads up.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2276

Kudos [?]: 8791 [1] , given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 16:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
cpcraig wrote:
It appears that the link to the Darden resume book is broken. Just a heads up.

Thanks, I have adjusted the description/thread.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 9

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 03:29
Another CV tip:

Always leave some 'white-space' within the CV. And I'm not just talking about the margins. The reviewer's eyes need a (visual) break too.

You might be able to pack a ton of detail in a huge monolith piece of text. But from a reviewer's perspective, irrespective of the quality of content, it's still a big turn-off.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

18 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Warwick

Kudos [?]: 18 [18] , given: 3

Re: Best Resume/CV Tips [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 23:30
This post received
KUDOS
action words reminds me of this file that I always kept on my hard drive from my time at university. Its a great compilation of action words and useful buzz to catch attention of those screening your cv.

If you like this file, please give me a kudos

thanks
Meg

3underscore wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:

on a personal tip...

Attachments

Useful words for CVs and apps.pdf [19.42 KiB]
Downloaded 3927 times

To download please login or register as a user

Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
HBS Resume Style [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 11:53
Quick question:

on mbagameplan, the HBS template lists experience first, then education, then the rest. Doing a google search for the hbs resume format, I end up seeing 2 other examples that have education first and then experience. Anyone know what the 'real' format should be?

Thanks so much

Manager
Manager
Schools: kellogg, booth, stern, ann arbor
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 14:39
so when it comes to putting your hobbies and interest on your resume, how much would you put in? what would be acceptable as hobbies and what would be bad? would reading, or working out, or games (brain games such as suduko or TaiPei) be acceptable? what if you don't currently have any volunteer activities, what could fill in for this? Any suggestions?

Paaaaayyy Meeeee!!!!!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
MBAFocus.com provides several resume books free of charge. All you have to do is to create a user name and password and request access to these books from the schools. It has more than 20-25 schools whose resumebooks are free of charge. Top schools like H/S/W charge a lot for their resume books. But we can find books of several other good schools free of charge. Notable schools include Chicago Booth, USC, Berkeley, Indiana, ISB, Emory etc.

Check out mbafocus.com

Edit: They have started charging $300+ for access to one of these! So, to get access to several schools resume books is thousands of dollars!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 07:07
can anyone provide a link to Tuck Resume? It seems the book is off already.
Also, some resume sample from HBS would also be helpful.

thanks in advance
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 21:17
sorry can't help you, there's if you sample site there's lot resume template available online that may help you.

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost. That is where they should be. Now put foundations under them" -- H. D. Thoreau

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 14:36
the links on this forum are not working...please advise! thanks?
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2010, 14:36