Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [370]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2209 [12]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Ross School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [10]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [5]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
Kudos
bb souvik101990
Awesome work!! Must have taken loooaaddds of work but kudos to your ingenuity!! :)

I liked: It was no-hassle, no redirecting me anywhere, no hanging, easy-to-use for our users and also has the option to display for ALL-SCHOOLS as well. I guess a lot of thought already went into the use-case analysis. I will think of some suggestions as and when I get an idea.

I wished: Much of the user pool will love to get insights into the data and chances for other Top 25+ schools. I am sure this will be a work-in-progress and I am open to help if there is something!

Cheers again!!!

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank you for the feedback!

P.S. I heard from a few current students who mentioned that we have been harshly grading their chances (we gave them below average chances) and we are looking at adjusting some of the variables to improve accuracy, which potentially will make some folks chances slightly better. We will be tweaking accuracy over time to dial it better.

If you are a current student or someone who got admits from past seasons, please give it a whirl, and let me know your thoughts/feedback!
Thanks!
BB.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [4]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
bb wrote:
Thank you for the feedback!

P.S. I heard from a few current students who mentioned that we have been harshly grading their chances (we gave them below average chances) and we are looking at adjusting some of the variables to improve accuracy, which potentially will make some folks chances slightly better. We will be tweaking accuracy over time to dial it better.

If you are a current student or someone who got admits from past seasons, please give it a whirl, and let me know your thoughts/feedback!
Thanks!
BB.

I got 0 colleges for Above Average chances. But that's Okay I guess. I am an Indian IT Male :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 502 [2]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I experienced this as well, looks like a glitch bb. (At least I'd hope it is, so I could see my chances improving :lol: )

JTdaniel wrote:
bb I tried playing around with the tool (great idea btw!), and found that no matter what I select under 'Applications and Essays', the score doesn't change from "low". Is this a glitch?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bbsusheelk wrote:
Good Work!! Very helpful in assessing possibilities!!

It would be better if there's a provision to check using GRE scores too.

Hi. I am working on adding the GRE scores to the drop down. Waiting on the tech team right now. Meanwhile, here is a workaround for you:

You can apply the GRE scores using this conversion table for the sake of this tool ONLY:

GRE = GMAT
330+ = 760+
325–329 = 730-750
321-324 = 700-720
315-320 = 650-690
310-314 = 600-640
300-309 = 550-590
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.33
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
j

Originally posted by scrantonstrangler on 04 May 2023, 22:01.
Last edited by scrantonstrangler on 18 Aug 2023, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Great tool. Wish I had this at the start of my application process. A few comments.

1) Can you provide a little more clarity on how background is defined? I would assume you mean ethnicity, but industry also plays a part I think.

2) I also think adding something for GPA would be helpful. As I think they showed high GPA + high GMAT adds to your chances of receiving an interview.

3) For the school portion, are you counting the specific college within the university, or the ranking of the university as a whole? AKA some school might be top 50, but their undergrad business is top 10.

4) Age bracket wise is it based on date of matriculation or date of application.

5) I personally don't mind having the grading be harsher as giving false hope is not good also. This is a "rough" outline on your chances, there is so much more to you as a candidate that could greatly affect your chances.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Accounting (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I have been wondering about this for a while now. I was born in Bangladesh (SE Asia) but I immigrated to the US when I was 14. As far as background, which bucket am I in? I can see landing in the over-represented bucket but I do think I have some unique characteristics. I went to one of the worst high schools in inner city Chicago. I had a ACT score in the 20th percentile. Most of my high school mates never went to college. I didn't have parents to provide any guidance. Whatever I did, I did mostly on my own.

Today, I am a 31 year old CPA at a fortune 50 company with multiple promotions. And within days, I hope to have a 690-750 GMAT score. Am I over-represented or am I in fact in the underrepresented bucket.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Please don't take this the wrong way, but your story may not be as unique as you think. There are plenty of candidates from similar or even less privileged backgrounds, or faced adversity on their way to success.

What will set you apart is how those experiences affected you and how you are a strong candidate because of those experiences and how they will serve to propel you even higher in the future. (Other people feel free to weigh in). What I am saying is the experiences along will not help your narrative, the way they shaped you and your future will.

On a more practical note, depending on the school, that story can be hard to weave in since you are given strict and concise word counts. An admissions consultant might be able to help provide ideas/critiques to make sure it fits with your overall narrative.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi and thanks for your question. There is value in having a diverse background as a degree but how is your work experience? Were you a biologist? The fact that your grandpa was not Indian is also pretty remote :-) sorry.

You will be considered an American applicant and somewhat normal.

I think you have fantastic accomplishments and other things going for you. Your strengths will come out on your resume and your essays.

You have a strong profile but not sure it can be called unique.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Great tool!
However when I change from "Average" to " Underrepresented" my chances decrease slightly.
The same happens when I go from Average ECs to Strong ECs...
Is that expected?
Found it to be a little weird.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mcalbuquerque wrote:
Great tool!
However when I change from "Average" to " Underrepresented" my chances decrease slightly.
The same happens when I go from Average ECs to Strong ECs...
Is that expected?
Found it to be a little weird.

That is VERY weird!
Thank you for reporting this. We will be playing more with the system. Thank you!
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [2]
Given Kudos: 618
GRE 1: Q165 V163

GRE 2: Q165 V163

GRE 3: Q170 V163
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos