Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 23:31 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 23:31
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74325 [381]
Given Kudos: 20635
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74325 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [1]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: What Are My Chances - Profile Evaluation Tool! WAMC [#permalink]
God this tool saved a lot of time! thanks!

Although, I am not sure yet which category I fall under.

This might be a bit long, sorry for that in advance, but I am really desperate here!

I was born in Iran, Iranian citizen, of Armenian ethnicity, currently living in Iran, and sometimes Armenia, 32,Married, CEO of our family business, a company with 20 employees ( manufacturing, tech and energy related) in Iran and we are extending our business to Armenia.

(One might ask why would I want to consider leaving my status quo: I took the business from bankruptcy to decent amount of profit, not big compared to US numbers but good in Iran numbers compared to similar size companies, but Iran business does not work as it should because of the US strong sanctions against Iran, we are highly dependent on foreign goods and products, we try to keep up but no point resuming it. Armenia business is not so promising due to inability to finance it anymore through Iran business, both in terms of being short on money and transferring it.)

GMAT 1st try 680 Q50,V31 , TOEFL 113, RLSW 29,29,25,30. ( I know I screwed up my GMAT V although I had the ability to perform better, scared to retake and lose the legendary Q50, hope my TOEFL score compensates my GMAT V in the eyes of the BSchools)

Some international work background, lots of meetings with government officials in Armenia, attended tech fairs and minor meetings in Europe about supplying products for business, finalized a huge business contract with South Korea...

Educational Background: Computer engineering BS, GPA 2.6 and an MBA from third best Bschool in Iran, although it is not accredited anywhere and there is no institution to approve its ranking so not sure if it is even worth making it bold in my CV. GPA 3.76

12Yrs of work experience (ofcourse alongside my education) , 8 of it official, around 5 of it I was the CEO, in our company from the beginning.

So first, am I a unique or an under-represented? second, Who is going to give me recommendation? I almost hold the highest position here, my father is in the board of directors but he is almost not involved in the business anymore and isn't it a bit awkward my dad giving a recommendation about me?? :))

Strongly dependent to the scholarship amount, because of the same financial reason I stated earlier about the company.
Planning to apply to Emory, Mendoza, Marshall, Tepper, Kelley, Carroll, Thinking also about Paul Merage as a safe school (any other suggestions here?) , not sure about Kenan-Flagler and Gerorgetown (Because of mostly gov't related jobs and I have this red sign of being Iranian on my forehead) , or top tier schools such as Duke, Tuck,Darden, Anderson.

Considering STEM programs, since it is vital for me to be able to stay long enough to find an appropriate job (suggestions?).
Would love to pursue my career in Tech Consulting but also interested in Business Analytics.

Thank you, thank you, thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
This tool is awesome! Appreciate the time and effort that went into putting this together.

Quick question on my profile - with background as Asian-Indian / middle-office at BB Bank and originally born in US, any thoughts on if I fall under "average representation" or "somewhat over representation"?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
theshahster3 wrote:
This tool is awesome! Appreciate the time and effort that went into putting this together.

Quick question on my profile - with background as Asian-Indian / middle-office at BB Bank and originally born in US, any thoughts on if I fall under "average representation" or "somewhat over representation"?

Hi. Thanks for the feedback! Since you are a US Applicant, then you would starting out around average representation. I am not sure that you ethnicity plays into it.... the representation only considers country of origin rather than ethnicity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
bb wrote:
theshahster3 wrote:

Hi. Thanks for the feedback! Since you are a US Applicant, then you would starting out around average representation. I am not sure that you ethnicity plays into it.... the representation only considers country of origin rather than ethnicity.

Thank you - I'm curious, is that how admissions committees typically evaluate my representation i.e., considering me a US applicant first and foremost rather than evaluating me against entire Asian applicant pool (domestic and international).

I know this is relatively minor in the grand scheme of the application process, but just another thought that popped into my head.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think you won’t get anything but a politically correct answer which is that they do not discriminate based on the background but as we know from Harvard’s lawsuit, not always the case in the past.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.46
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
This seems pretty accurate. Would recommend applying to at least 3 schools where you have "average" chances. Would add a field for Post UG extracurriculars/leadership. and separate academic performance, and rigor of academic program (Engineering vs Liberal Arts/Humanities).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Fantastic tool, thank you for creating!

Originally posted by JSmith1995 on 31 Dec 2019, 16:14.
Last edited by JSmith1995 on 04 Jan 2020, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi JSmith1995 and welcome to GMAT Club!

Age alone is not an issue really esp for those with masters degrees or military background. Schools will never tell you that they will discriminate based on age since that would mean a huge fine and a lawsuit. Age only started to matter after 31.

The reason age matters are two fold at least:
1. Career progression/trajectory. Older applicants tend to be slower in terms of progression.

2. Those who have a strong progression, tend to be too senior for the Bschool recruiting paths. Most recruiting is focused on 27-year old consultants and PMs. If you are 35, they don’t know what to do with you and you will be recruiting off campus.

Now, these considerations don’t seem to be as much of a concern for EU programs though after 35 it is tougher to get into the top 3 EU programs.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
What category does a Product Marketing background male from Bangladesh fall into? Average? Underrepresented? I'm from South Asia, so I'm a bit worried if I would suffer from the fact that my country borders India, & hence I would be put into the same bucket.

Also, out of almost six years of work experience, I've worked over five in a "Bangladeshi household name" MNC, that has/had a few top business school alums, and I've only recently planned on moving into my family's business. How should I go about factoring my work experience, given that I'd be seen as an applicant from a family business background (albeit recently)?

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi! These are good questions!

I think as a south asian applicant, you are looking at "average" at best and possibly over-represented.
If you have recently moved to family business, you will likely get at least one of the LOR's from your MNC employer so that should help and so will your experience for the essays and such. However, it really depends on what Family business is - if that's selling food on the market or trading securities and providing advising services. There are different scopes and levels. We recently had an Indian applicant with family business background choosing between a few schools... i of course can't pinpoint that post but found a few from the past. Here is one for 2017 for example: https://gmatclub.com/forum/oxford-vs-in ... 53572.html

It is possible but it depends....

Naseef wrote:
What category does a Product Marketing background male from Bangladesh fall into? Average? Underrepresented? I'm from South Asia, so I'm a bit worried if I would suffer from the fact that my country borders India, & hence I would be put into the same bucket.

Also, out of almost six years of work experience, I've worked over five in a "Bangladeshi household name" MNC, that has/had a few top business school alums, and I've only recently planned on moving into my family's business. How should I go about factoring my work experience, given that I'd be seen as an applicant from a family business background (albeit recently)?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
The tool is a good way to get an idea of the possible schools, but it would be better if you could add in some European and Canadian schools in the pool as well.
Possible schools Ivey, McGill, York, Cranfield, EDHEC, Manchester, Rotterdam.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
When will I get my evaluation results?

Intern
Intern
Send PM

I am working with Facebook on Accenture's payroll as an Analyst and I am willing to continue this for 2 more years.I want to know what chances do I have in getting into good B-Schools.

Degree- Major in Communications
Percentile- 95
Work exp- 3yrs (by the time I apply)

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would say pretty low... since you can’t seem to figure out how an online tool works. :roll:

Please use search and READ before posting. Thank you.

BarshaGhosh wrote:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Exceptional tool, works accurately. however it could be improved by adding some lower tier schools to show up in the results (maybe up to ranks ~40), but still, pretty useful
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Thanks.

Originally posted by GMATtoM7 on 15 Apr 2020, 20:04.
Last edited by GMATtoM7 on 02 Jan 2021, 14:24, edited 2 times in total.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATtoM7 wrote:
When using the tool, for the "Background" section, which category would Koreans be classified as?

Would it be different for Korean-Americans?

Would it be different for Chinese-Americans?

Probably not super insightful questions, but I was just wondering.

Ha. Good questions. In general I don’t see many Korean applicants so it would be possibly under-represented or average in the worst case.

I think Chinese American would be average. Just like other American applicants.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Hi guys

This is honestly a great tool to provide applicants a prelim understanding of their chances of getting in. It is extremely helpful. It would be great to see it become even more comprehensive and advanced over a period of time. Also just wanted to check what the data sources for the anlaytics in the tool are.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5  ...  24