Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 09:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
AGSM Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2012
Posts: 167
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 31

Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 01:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (02:23) correct 64% (01:13) wrong based on 196 sessions
Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised much influence on a great numbers of this newspaper's readers. 2000 readers were surveyed and asked to name the book that had influence on their life. The book chosen most was the "Secret" and "Spirited" was second.

Which of the following question will be most useful in evaluating the columnist's argument?

A. How many people read the columnist’s newspaper?
B. How many books had each person surveyed read?
C. How many people chose books other than "Spirited"?
D. How many of those surveyed had actually read the books they chose?
E. How many books by Thomas other than "Spirited" were chosen?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 588
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 235 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 15:57
The "spirited" had much influence on readers, yet it ranked 2nd among people polled for the book that had most
influence on them. The "Secret" came 1st.

To establish how reliable the result is, wouldn't it be necessary to confirm whether the people asked actually
would have voted otherwise? This is my reason for D, though wrong.
_________________

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

AGSM Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2012
Posts: 167
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 31

Re: Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 23:22
gmatbull wrote:
The "spirited" had much influence on readers, yet it ranked 2nd among people polled for the book that had most
influence on them. The "Secret" came 1st.

To establish how reliable the result is, wouldn't it be necessary to confirm whether the people asked actually
would have voted otherwise? This is my reason for D, though wrong.


I also picked the choice you picked and went with the same reasoning as yours.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Posts: 31
WE: General Management (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 09:20
Vineetk wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
The "spirited" had much influence on readers, yet it ranked 2nd among people polled for the book that had most
influence on them. The "Secret" came 1st.

To establish how reliable the result is, wouldn't it be necessary to confirm whether the people asked actually
would have voted otherwise? This is my reason for D, though wrong.


I also picked the choice you picked and went with the same reasoning as yours.


It's C.

Imagine that among the 2,000 readers, 1,995 picked "Secret", 3 picked "Spirited", and 2 a third book.

Of course, "secret" is ranked as second, but it wouldn't had much influence on readers.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 483
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 239

Premium Member
Re: Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 11:08
jacg20 wrote:
Vineetk wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
The "spirited" had much influence on readers, yet it ranked 2nd among people polled for the book that had most
influence on them. The "Secret" came 1st.

To establish how reliable the result is, wouldn't it be necessary to confirm whether the people asked actually
would have voted otherwise? This is my reason for D, though wrong.


I also picked the choice you picked and went with the same reasoning as yours.


It's C.

Imagine that among the 2,000 readers, 1,995 picked "Secret", 3 picked "Spirited", and 2 a third book.

Of course, "secret" is ranked as second, but it wouldn't had much influence on readers.



Going by the above illustration ,option B ( How many books had each person surveyed read?) also becomes a contender
-imagine if the 2000 people surveyed read only 2 Books then 'Spirited' is bound to come second (or first)

On the other hand evaluating option D (How many of those surveyed had actually read the books they chose?) would also be essential to verify the Columnist's claim-- (Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised much influence on a great numbers of this newspaper's readers)

What is the source of this questions?
_________________

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 11:59
B and C run close. But C is the right answer.

Consider 1500 read "Secret", 251 read "Spirited" and 249 read a book X.

The difference between Secret and Spirited is huge and the difference X and Spirited is very small.
Even though Spirited stands second but it is not exactly a clear winner.
4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 992
Location: United States
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1099 [4] , given: 118

Re: Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 00:30
4
This post received
KUDOS
Vineetk wrote:
Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised much influence on a great numbers of this newspaper's readers. 2000 readers were surveyed and asked to name the book that had influence on their life. The book chosen most was the "Secret" and "Spirited" was second.

Which of the following question will be most useful in evaluating the columnist's argument?

A. How many people read the columnist’s newspaper?
B. How many books had each person surveyed read?
C. How many people chose books other than "Spirited"?
D. How many of those surveyed had actually read the books they chose?
E. How many books by Thomas other than "Spirited" were chosen?


Biased sample is very common in GMAT.

Description of the fallacy: Drawing a conclusion about a population based on a sample that is biased, or chosen in order to make it appear the population on average is different than it actually is.

Logical Form:
Sample S, which is biased, is taken from population P.
Conclusion C is drawn about population P based on S.


There are two main ways that a sample can fail to sufficiently represent the population:
1. The sample is simply too small to represent the population.
2. The sample is biased in some way as a result of not having been chosen randomly from the population. It illustrates that even a very large sample can be biased;

In short, for any sample, the important thing is representativeness, not size.

Questions to evaluate a sample:
When you see/hear a statistic, ask two questions:
(1) The sample is LARGE enough?
(2) The sample has been chosen RANDOMLY?


ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:
Fact: 2000 readers were surveyed and asked to name the book that had influence on their life.
Fact: The book chosen most was the "Secret" and "Spirited" was second.
Conclusion: Thomas’s book "Spirited" has exercised much influence on a great numbers of this newspaper's readers.

Question: Which of the following question will be most useful in evaluating the columnist's argument?

APPLY THE TECHNIQUE:
Ask 2 questions:
(1) The number of people who voted for “Spirited” is large enough?
(2) The readers were chosen randomly or just people who are fan of Thomas?

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

A. How many people read the columnist’s newspaper?
Wrong. The conclusion just says the book “Spirited” influences a great number of readers. In fact, 2000 people is a great number. If the book actually influences 2000 people, the conclusion is correct. Thus, A does not help.

B. How many books had each person surveyed read?
Wrong. The number of book that people read does not matter, if the “Spirited” influences them the most.

C. How many people chose books other than "Spirited"?
Correct. C attacks the conclusion by questioning that the number of people who chose “Spirited” is large enough to make conclusion? However, C uses other technique by questioning the rest of the sample, rather than the main object (the number of people read the “Spirited”).
The number of people read other book = Total number of people in the sample – number of people read “Spirited”.
Thus, C does help.

D. How many of those surveyed had actually read the books they chose?
Wrong. It does mean one is influenced by the book only if he actually reads it. There are many aspects of the book can influence a person such as the author, the name of book, etc…..

E. How many books by Thomas other than "Spirited" were chosen?
Wrong. It does not matter. Even when there are many books by Thomas were chosen, the “Spirited” may influence the most if it is representative enough.

Hope it helps.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 21:47
pqhai wrote:
Vineetk wrote:
Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised much influence on a great numbers of this newspaper's readers. 2000 readers were surveyed and asked to name the book that had influence on their life. The book chosen most was the "Secret" and "Spirited" was second.

Which of the following question will be most useful in evaluating the columnist's argument?

A. How many people read the columnist’s newspaper?
B. How many books had each person surveyed read?
C. How many people chose books other than "Spirited"?
D. How many of those surveyed had actually read the books they chose?
E. How many books by Thomas other than "Spirited" were chosen?


Biased sample is very common in GMAT.

Description of the fallacy: Drawing a conclusion about a population based on a sample that is biased, or chosen in order to make it appear the population on average is different than it actually is.

Logical Form:
Sample S, which is biased, is taken from population P.
Conclusion C is drawn about population P based on S.


There are two main ways that a sample can fail to sufficiently represent the population:
1. The sample is simply too small to represent the population.
2. The sample is biased in some way as a result of not having been chosen randomly from the population. It illustrates that even a very large sample can be biased;

In short, for any sample, the important thing is representativeness, not size.

Questions to evaluate a sample:
When you see/hear a statistic, ask two questions:
(1) The sample is LARGE enough?
(2) The sample has been chosen RANDOMLY?


ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:
Fact: 2000 readers were surveyed and asked to name the book that had influence on their life.
Fact: The book chosen most was the "Secret" and "Spirited" was second.
Conclusion: Thomas’s book "Spirited" has exercised much influence on a great numbers of this newspaper's readers.

Question: Which of the following question will be most useful in evaluating the columnist's argument?

APPLY THE TECHNIQUE:
Ask 2 questions:
(1) The number of people who voted for “Spirited” is large enough?
(2) The readers were chosen randomly or just people who are fan of Thomas?

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

A. How many people read the columnist’s newspaper?
Wrong. The conclusion just says the book “Spirited” influences a great number of readers. In fact, 2000 people is a great number. If the book actually influences 2000 people, the conclusion is correct. Thus, A does not help.

B. How many books had each person surveyed read?
Wrong. The number of book that people read does not matter, if the “Spirited” influences them the most.

C. How many people chose books other than "Spirited"?
Correct. C attacks the conclusion by questioning that the number of people who chose “Spirited” is large enough to make conclusion? However, C uses other technique by questioning the rest of the sample, rather than the main object (the number of people read the “Spirited”).
The number of people read other book = Total number of people in the sample – number of people read “Spirited”.
Thus, C does help.

D. How many of those surveyed had actually read the books they chose?
Wrong. It does mean one is influenced by the book only if he actually reads it. There are many aspects of the book can influence a person such as the author, the name of book, etc…..

E. How many books by Thomas other than "Spirited" were chosen?
Wrong. It does not matter. Even when there are many books by Thomas were chosen, the “Spirited” may influence the most if it is representative enough.

Hope it helps.


if feel the reasoning " that no of people reading was very less out the sample " makes the argument weak is wrong.....
the author says it came second and it is still second whether 2 people read it or one ,,,,,,,,,,
because the argument is
came second >>> means it influences most of our readers

it is still second even after considering c
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 21:49
pqhai wrote:
Vineetk wrote:
Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised much influence on a great numbers of this newspaper's readers. 2000 readers were surveyed and asked to name the book that had influence on their life. The book chosen most was the "Secret" and "Spirited" was second.

Which of the following question will be most useful in evaluating the columnist's argument?

A. How many people read the columnist’s newspaper?
B. How many books had each person surveyed read?
C. How many people chose books other than "Spirited"?
D. How many of those surveyed had actually read the books they chose?
E. How many books by Thomas other than "Spirited" were chosen?


Biased sample is very common in GMAT.

Description of the fallacy: Drawing a conclusion about a population based on a sample that is biased, or chosen in order to make it appear the population on average is different than it actually is.

Logical Form:
Sample S, which is biased, is taken from population P.
Conclusion C is drawn about population P based on S.


There are two main ways that a sample can fail to sufficiently represent the population:
1. The sample is simply too small to represent the population.
2. The sample is biased in some way as a result of not having been chosen randomly from the population. It illustrates that even a very large sample can be biased;

In short, for any sample, the important thing is representativeness, not size.

Questions to evaluate a sample:
When you see/hear a statistic, ask two questions:
(1) The sample is LARGE enough?
(2) The sample has been chosen RANDOMLY?


ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:
Fact: 2000 readers were surveyed and asked to name the book that had influence on their life.
Fact: The book chosen most was the "Secret" and "Spirited" was second.
Conclusion: Thomas’s book "Spirited" has exercised much influence on a great numbers of this newspaper's readers.

Question: Which of the following question will be most useful in evaluating the columnist's argument?

APPLY THE TECHNIQUE:
Ask 2 questions:
(1) The number of people who voted for “Spirited” is large enough?
(2) The readers were chosen randomly or just people who are fan of Thomas?

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

A. How many people read the columnist’s newspaper?
Wrong. The conclusion just says the book “Spirited” influences a great number of readers. In fact, 2000 people is a great number. If the book actually influences 2000 people, the conclusion is correct. Thus, A does not help.

B. How many books had each person surveyed read?
Wrong. The number of book that people read does not matter, if the “Spirited” influences them the most.

C. How many people chose books other than "Spirited"?
Correct. C attacks the conclusion by questioning that the number of people who chose “Spirited” is large enough to make conclusion? However, C uses other technique by questioning the rest of the sample, rather than the main object (the number of people read the “Spirited”).
The number of people read other book = Total number of people in the sample – number of people read “Spirited”.
Thus, C does help.

D. How many of those surveyed had actually read the books they chose?
Wrong. It does mean one is influenced by the book only if he actually reads it. There are many aspects of the book can influence a person such as the author, the name of book, etc…..

E. How many books by Thomas other than "Spirited" were chosen?
Wrong. It does not matter. Even when there are many books by Thomas were chosen, the “Spirited” may influence the most if it is representative enough.

Hope it helps.




if feel the reasoning " that no of people reading was very less out the sample " makes the argument weak is wrong.....
the author says it came second and it is still second whether 2 people read it or one ,,,,,,,,,,
because the argument is
came second >>> means it influences most of our readers

it is still second even after considering c
Re: Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2013, 21:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
GMAT Club Grammar Book: Practice Exercise 1: 35 milapshah 0 29 Jun 2014, 01:45
So, I was doing the exercises on the Ultimate Grammar book. lawschoolsearcher 1 16 Apr 2011, 01:22
1 GMAT Grammar Book: Answers to Exercises dzyubam 9 01 Aug 2010, 09:38
2 Columnist: George Orwell s book 1984 has exercised much serbiano 15 04 Mar 2010, 03:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Columnist: Thomas's book "Spirited" has exercised

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.