Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 16

Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 00:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
For the beginning, let me briefly introduce myself so that you will have some idea on my background and why it was so much pain to swallow GMAT pill
I have graduated from third division mediocre US college and was already in MBA program in third division mediocre US college, for which I did not need GMAT to gain admission (my GPA was high enough that they granted me unconditional admission). I needed GMAT to apply for PhD program in Business Administration. The PhD admission, I knew, was competitive and I needed score of 700 or higher in order to be seriously considered for admission.
At high school, I never bothered to like Math, since I was fond of humanities and history. Due to the fact that I spent several years in the US and that I was fond of reading English literature and The Economist(not for the purpose of GMAT only) I considered the verbal part my strength (error #1). Never bothered to take GMATPrep Exam, which would be an accurate assessment of my standing (error#2)
That is why as I started preparing for GMAT in the summer of 2009, I did not spend enough time for verbal and as a result scored very low on Verbal Part in addition to low score on Quant.(October, 2009, 610 Q44 V31).This time I knew that I did not spend enough time preparing for the test and my studies were only limited to GMAT Official Guides and Kaplan 800 and Premier. I knew I could do far better.
The second time, I took GMAT in January 2010 with a month long preparation which was not intensive enough (error#3) that I scored only 660 (Q47, V34), which was quite disappointment for me. This time, I thought my preparation was good enough as I utilized ManhattanGMAT set, GMAT club tests, Official Guides and a little bit of posts on the forum. However, I never bothered to keep error log (error #4) despite seeing many suggestions to do so on GMATclub.com. I never bothered to intensively work on my weaknesses such as Probability, Combinatorics, Geometry, Number Properties and etc. I used outside sources for studying Sentence Correction such as GMATclub tests, and other SC tests posted on GMATclub (error#5). At this time, my stamina for GMAT was weakening. I wanted to throw away everything and forget about GMAT. It is hard to describe the frustration I felt with myself. Nevertheless, I wanted to do PhD and I needed better GMAt score for that.
The decision to take GMAT the third time was not easy. I rigorously researched the test prep companies that I could utilize to increase my GMAT score. After careful research, I chose Knewton because it guaranteed 50 point increase or money back. To be honest, I was not satisfied with Knewton from the beginning. Most of their tests were imitation of Official Guide tests and most of the methods they utilized to do the tests such as plugging in numbers were from that of Kaplan GMAT books. Since I already studied KAPLAN GMAT and already almost have memorized Official Guide tests, Knewton course did not bring practical results for my preparation. They claimed that their online prep system is adaptable thus it adapts to your weaknesses by focusing on your errors on tests. However, the Knewton system never bothered to focus much on my weaknesses, of which I was aware. I did not study much neither on Geometry and Number Properties nor on Probability and Combinatorics. To be brief, I relied too much on Knewton and I failed (error #6). Although couple days before my Official Test Day, my test scores on Knewton CAT were ranging between 700 and 750 (my last CAT), on the test day (June 2010, I scored disappointing 660 (Q46 V35)-the same score I got on January 2010. The only thing that changed from my previous Official GMAT was that I got lower on Quant and got a little higher on Verbal. My confidence in myself and my ego were ruined. At that day, I swore not to take GMAT again, ever!!! I thought that GMAT was not for me and I was destined not to score on 90th percentile at least. After wasting so much money, time and other resources that I could have spent on something else, I did not know what else to do.
The decision to take GMAT the FOURTH time was not easy. I took a break for almost 6 months before I started thinking of my past experiences with GMAT. I literally went through mental crucifixion and pain before I decided to open any book related to GMAT. This time, I lacked any new resources to practice GMAT. Since by the this time, I took GMATPrep several times and almost memorized Official Guides and have read Manhattan GMAT set several times.
However, one thing was different this time. I swore to keep error log, writing down every single problem on quant that I get wrong. I promised to spend at least 6 months before I will make any decision regarding GMAT appointment. And I urged myself not to waste my time studying something else on SC besides Official Guide Problems and GMATPrep. I went through all GMAT club Quant tests, Official Guide Math Tests, kept error log along the way. And memorized the problems I got wrong so that when I looked at quant problem second time, I already knew the answer before solving it.
Moreover, I tried to focus on my quant weaknesses more, trying to turn them from my weakness into strength. For example, when I first took the GMAT couple times before, I considered probability and combinatorics my weakness. But this time I did so many problems on those areas that the only problem I got on combinatorics on official GMAT exam I did in less than 1 minute and with 95% confidence that I got it right.
Regarding SC, I say thousands of THANKS to Mr. Ron Purewal. I never had money to hire such an outstanding instructor. But, his free posts on ManhattanGmat and BeattheGMAT forums are invaluable resource to study from. Through reading his endless comments to GMATPREP and Official Guide Problems on ManhattanGMAT and BeattheGmat.com websites, I became familiar with GMATland rules on SC. Though my fourth score on verbal will not be much different from previous one, I can swear that I learnt a lot more from Ron Purewal’s posts on forums than ManhattanGMAT SC guide, Knewton, Gmatclub verbal tests and Kaplan book combined. If you read, every post-explanation by Ron for each question that ever appeared on GMATPrep software, chances are very high that you will gain a little bit of Ron’s SC reader eyes  . Believe me, those eyes are invaluable while taking GMAT. In addition, I have read PowerScore CR Bible, which I consider a lot better than ManhattanGMAT CR and a very good resource to study to increase GMAT CR.
I can be honest that I was not much excited about taking GMAT the FOURTH time and I did not study with much enthusiasm and passion as I did before. I did not have passion as I was super bored studying the same “material” for the FOURTH time. But, in my humble opinion, because I chose the correct strategy and I tried to avoid the mistakes I did in my earlier preparations, I was able to do a lot better and cross that mental barrier. On May 30, 2011 on my FOURTH attempt I scored 700 on Official GMAT!!!(Q49, V36)
At this time, I do not know whether I will take the test the FIFTH time sometime in the future and try to get 750. I think is realistic if I have enough guts to study for. But what I know is that GMAT is a challenge and one needs to utilize all the good he or she has accumulated in himself or herself to overcome that challenge. If I utilized the CORRECT strategies ON TIME that were advised on GMATclub by wise people, if I could choose the correct timing, sufficient patience and endeavor to study for GMAT, and if I could avoid ANXIETY, NERVOUSNESS and INCONFIDENCE in myself I felt each time (except for the FOURHT TIME) I sat for GMAT, I would not have this painful experience and would get the score I want in less time, spending less money and less resources.
LESSONS FOR FUTURE GMAT CHALLENGERS:
1. Everyone can take GMAT and score high-No matter which school you graduate from, no matter what is your academic background
2. DO NOT BE DUMB like me, USE the STRATEGIES and ADVICES wise men of GMATclub put on the web for FREE
3. Take it only, if you are able to manage your anxiety, nervousness and level confidence at the time you are taking GMAT
4. Do not rely too much on one TEST Prep company if you want 700 or higher, utilize other sources as well
5. CORRECTLY assess yourself before taking Official Test by using GMATPREP for free
6. Do not ASSUME that if you lived in the USA for a while and read The Economist just for fun, you will not have problem with GMAT verbal
7. Be sure, anyone can top Quant part with enough preparation
8. Turn your weaknesses into your strength
9. FOR SURE KEEP ERROR LOG
10. Do not study SC from any sources but Official Guides and GMATPREP and USE RON’s free posts wisely

PUZZLES:
- I do not know why I scored 36 on Verbal despite my intensive preparation on SC and CR. My RC was already good enough. probably, I spent too much time thinking while doing the test and I had to guess last three questions.

To sum up, I owe a lot of THANKS to Mr. Bunuel (for explanations to every problem I asked), active math moderator and GMAT CLUB members, Mr. Ron and free ManhattanGMAT forums and any other online GMAT club forum members whose experience served as a motivation for such an ordinary guy like me to cross the 700 barrier and Mr. chineseburned, whose AWA template on gmatclub helped to improve my official AWA from 5.0 to 6.0 (91th percentile) !!!
Thank you guys,
I promise to stay active on GMATClub and may be retake GMAT once in future so that I can prove myself that I can be on 99 percentile as well. But, who knows…

Never give up,,,

Last edited by gmatjon on 11 Jul 2011, 04:16, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 01:26
Congrats ...!!! You got some will power .. !!! 4 times and still got the attitude to take the 5 th time. :)

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Work with hope in Heart and dreams in the eyes .... And leave the mind for GMAT problems ;)

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 5 years
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 01:39
I need help!. Today was my second attempt in GMAT. I scored Q50,V28 i have no idea what really happens in verbal. I score well in prep tests in verbal even when my quant score has never reached 50 in prep tests.
I got stuck at one question and i dont know for how long i was stuck on that.
I am not able to figure out whats going wrong in my verbal. In my last attempt my score was Q45,V27.
I am definitely nervous but i didnt score this less in any prep tests.
Please guys any suggestion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 05:40
medha13 wrote:
I need help!. Today was my second attempt in GMAT. I scored Q50,V28 i have no idea what really happens in verbal. I score well in prep tests in verbal even when my quant score has never reached 50 in prep tests.
I got stuck at one question and i dont know for how long i was stuck on that.
I am not able to figure out whats going wrong in my verbal. In my last attempt my score was Q45,V27.
I am definitely nervous but i didnt score this less in any prep tests.
Please guys any suggestion.

I definitely understand your pain. I spent a lot of time on Verbal, but did not get what I wanted...

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 11:27
This is very motivating.. I do horrible in quant and amazing in verbal.. I was about to give up.. Just logged in and read your post.. Thanks, and enjoy your amazinggggggg achievement :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 20

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 12:51
mirzohidjon:

Your story and post is just wonderful and touching. I am thinking to give GMAT for last 7 years but everytime i start studying... verbal pulls me down. This time i am taking it seriously (i hope) And i am now doing exactly what you are doing on Verbal. And thanks for confirming.
Again your post if very very amazing. :) many thanks.
And all the best!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 03:43
agdimple333 wrote:
mirzohidjon:

Your story and post is just wonderful and touching. I am thinking to give GMAT for last 7 years but everytime i start studying... verbal pulls me down. This time i am taking it seriously (i hope) And i am now doing exactly what you are doing on Verbal. And thanks for confirming.
Again your post if very very amazing. :) many thanks.
And all the best!!

GMAT was a very painful experience for me. But, if you use the strategies I posted regarding the verbal part, I am confident that you can do a lot better. Just believe in yourself.

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 9

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 13:42
Wonderful post! 4 times!! Now, that's a hell of a will power.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2011, 20:50
I have got my official report today, I have got 6.0 on AWA (91ieth percentile)!!! Thank you chineseburned. Indeed, it seems AWA template chineseburned put on GMATCLUB is a magic formula for 6.0 score!!!

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 8

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 16:42
A day before taking the GMAT make sure that
a) you take pride in your Achievements thus far
b) you feel Confident about yourself, about your decisions, and about your effort leading up to the exam
c) you are Excited to take the exam

You will ace the exam!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 04:17
i agree,,, You can succeed only if you believe in yourself

Never give up,,,

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 14:38
that's great - congratulations! (when i saw "painful 700" I thought you were implying that 700 was bad) congrats on hitting that mark!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 20:16
I can totally relate to your experience having scored 650 and 660 in two attempts thus far. I hope to join your club soon. I am not sure how long it will be before that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 04:36
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
I can totally relate to your experience having scored 650 and 660 in two attempts thus far. I hope to join your club soon. I am not sure how long it will be before that.

Just never give up and you can do it!!! If I did it, surely, you can do it!!!

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 16

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 02:25
it was a very encouraging post ...Congrats to you for this good score...hats off for your patience... :)

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 03:47
harshavmrg wrote:
it was a very encouraging post ...Congrats to you for this good score...hats off for your patience... :)

You know, recently, I got a quote from somewhere. This quote resonates with me: "Success is like being pregnant. Everyone congratulates you, but none knows how many thimes you were f***ed"

Never give up,,,

Re: Debrief: Painful 700 on FOURTH Attempt   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2011, 03:47