Last visit was: 18 Jun 2024, 11:31 It is currently 18 Jun 2024, 11:31
4 years
India
Male
Score: 690 GMAT Classic
GPA: 8.18
Pre-MBA industry: Non-Profit and Government
Post-MBA industry: Investment Banking
I am a former National level University Athlete. Currently working as a manager in a public sector bank in India. I have 1 year of experience in the technology domain and 3 years in the public sector banking domain.
Post MBA goal is to focus on risk management or finance executive portfolios in Multinational Banks.
IE
September Intake Class of
AcceptedNov 7, 23
ScholarshipNone
7 months ago
Comments (8 comments)
11 Nov 2023, 23:38
Thanks again for the info. I spoke to few alumni at Melbourne business school and they said the same if I'm willing to stick to my line of work it's going to be good. I'll be applying for PR once I start my MBA. Hope things work out. I heard from relatives and friends that PR is not that hard to get as compared to other countries.
07 Nov 2023, 21:57
That’s an awesome profile. Business schools like athletes and people with strong achievements like that. You’ve definitely worked and trained really hard to be where you are.

I would recommend applying to places like Darden and Johnson and maybe Simon if you thinking about a scholarship. All of them have relationships and hissed auricle placements into investment banking. I think UNC does as well but you’ll have to check that.
08 Nov 2023, 01:27
Thank you so much for the encouraging words @bb. I have applied to Simon in Round 1 and am waiting for the decision. Darden and Cornell I will be applying to, but with IE could you share some info whether it would be worth joining as a non-local with regard to job prospects.
08 Nov 2023, 01:31
Scholarship is very crucial for me to pursue my MBA as I have dependents. Due to this fact I've not applied to many colleges as I felt my GMAT score could handicap me.
If you could shed light on the difference between US and Europe job market for indian immigrants, it would be a huge help. Thanks again.
08 Nov 2023, 17:59
Hi. I am not super familiar with Europe, so I may not be reflecting the most accurate picture (and welcome anyone from EU to correct me - please!) but looking at the US vs. Europe, I see a lot more people who have to go home after a year because they are not able to find a job or things don't work out. They do OK at home and seems salaries in India are quite attractive for people with a western MBA, but still that does not seem like a great outcome.

The reasons are in part language - you will graduate from a french or german or spanish school but the local employers need you to be fluent in the local language. This means you only can recruit in London or Amsterdam. Those are pretty limited options since everyone is doing it too.

Here are the Pros and cons:

EU
    PRO's:
      1. Visa is straightforward if you find a job
      2. Good life/work balance
      3. Living expenses can be manageable

CON's
      1. Harder to find an MBA-level job
      2. Local language skills needed
      3. Pay is about half of that in the US

US
    PRO's
      1. Best chances of getting a job out of MBA and career change
      2. 2x pay and bonus of what you would get in EU
      3. You have 3 years to find a job and get H1B with STEM OPT

CON's
      1. H1B is a lottery. Green card is hard
      2. Cost of living is high, esp in large cities
      3. You work your butt off in the first 3 years after MBA
08 Nov 2023, 21:13
Thank you so much for the information. It pretty much sums up the whole scenario. One of my cousins did his MBA from HEC Paris in 2014 and had the same thing to say about Europe.
On another note, Could you also shed some light on the MBA program at Australia like MBS and AGSM, since a lot of my friends and family there say it is a beautiful country to settle in.
I know the post MBA pay will be way less that in the US. But in the long term I feel it's a good place to immigrate to.
08 Nov 2023, 21:17
I am afraid my information may be dated about Australia. You may want to verify it since this predates the pandemic.

What I have heard was that Australia employers, similar to Canada employers doesn’t put much value on the MBA degree. Instead, they value your work experience and that’s what the hiring is based on so if you’re planning to change industries or don’t have a good brand on your résumé, it will be hard to find a job. And the job you will find, will not have a substantial enough pay bump but at the same time I’ve heard that the quality of life is great.

Finally, this is also dated information but I’ve heard several students mention that it’s really hard to get residency in Australia and if you’re not a resident, going to school is not going to help you a whole lot. That is a bit concerning and hopefully it has been changed so I would definitely verify.

Good luck!
11 Nov 2023, 23:38
Thanks again for the info. I spoke to few alumni at Melbourne business school and they said the same if I'm willing to stick to my line of work it's going to be good. I'll be applying for PR once I start my MBA. Hope things work out. I heard from relatives and friends that PR is not that hard to get as compared to other countries.
07 Nov 2023, 21:57
Congrats on the admit to the IE program by the way! Hope many more to come! 👍