Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 12:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Score Use in Employment

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2005, 23:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
GMAT Use in Employment

I am occasionally surprised by the number of people who tell me "the GMAT is meaningless once you are admitted into an MBA program." This statement is simply false. In the field of finance it is quite common for firms to ask for your GMAT scores. Investment Banks are probably the best known example but other financial services firms do it as well. Other industries that emphasize analytical skills expect high GMAT scores as well.

It is important to note that many of the ultra elites have some form of grade nondisclosure. Accordingly, the last information that these firms have about your academic ability- your college grades and GMAT score -become more important.

Another factor to keep in mind is that despite its many flaws, the GMAT is the only common experience shared across (virtually) all GMAT applicants. Thus, it makes some sense for firms to be interested in how you performed on the only shared evaluation with students from other schools. There has been some talk of an MBA Exit Examination that students from many schools would take each year but this idea has never gotten very far for obvious reasons (some schools would lose face, some schools would teach to the test, etc.).

Last edited by Hjort on 21 Oct 2005, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 14:32
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 15:24
Hjort:
I agree with you on the importance of GMAT score.
I was browsing through the web site of McKinsey sometime back and in Carrers section, one of the required fields is --> GMAT Score, School graduated.
So. there is some consideration for GMAT score, inspite of your Graduate school and experience.

Aryan.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2006, 14:24
I thought I'd try some monster.com searches for the word GMAT...

Quote:
GPA minimum 3.5 at a top Grad School. GMAT minimum of 700. Finance Major.

Quote:
All resumes must contain the following information: standardized test scores (including SAT, GMAT, GRE, etc.), broken down by section where applicable; undergraduate GPA; and current compensation, including most recent bonus, if any.

Quote:
Demonstrated strong performance demonstrated through high GPA, high GMAT scores, high ranking in class

Quote:
Requirements: 1450 SAT / 770 GMAT Minimum to apply

Quote:
· Resume

· GPA from undergraduate and any graduate program(s)

· Scores from any standardized tests taken, including SAT, GMAT, GRE, etc

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 16:18
This post received
KUDOS
Yes I agree. I know for a fact that McKinsey asks for GMAT (or LSAT or other test scores). I don't know if they are absolutely necessary for employment, but I do know that they ask for it.

I'm also quite certain that business schools are aware of their customers (the companies that hire their graduates), and that it is important for them to keep the scores of their admitted students high because they will be more competitive in the job market.

In fact, I will paraphrase from the University of Chicago message board, a message from a GSB student to an applicant with a low GMAT score: It would be wise to try to improve your score because even if you are able to get in, your lower GMAT score will continue to haunt you as you look for a job.

So even for a top top school like Chicago, employment may be more challenging for students that do not have top GMAT scores.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2006, 08:26
Ryhme, do you know which employer requested a GMAT score of 770 or higher? That seems like an unbelievably high bar.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 17:35
thank you for the info
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2006, 18:24
What if you took GMAT more than 5 years ago and your perfect 800 score is no longer effective? Do you have to take it again for employment purpose?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2009, 20:08
In my current job, I did not need to take the test again.
I am convinced that one of the reasons I got a job in my current capacity is that I got a 700+ on my test and my current employer (a very well respected firm) explicitly asked for all test scores (even back to ACT). I hear this is becoming much more common. I am so thankful that I studied extra hard for my GMAT as I knew that I could get into the school I wanted to with a 650, but the 700+ score has made all the difference later on. Very important to do well on the GMAT and use it for resumes etc.

Helpful GMAT Resources: GMAT Club | Official Guide GMAT Prep | MBA.com Prep | Free GMAT Prep | GMAC

Intern
Intern

Re: [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 13:37
patents555 wrote:
Ryhme, do you know which employer requested a GMAT score of 770 or higher? That seems like an unbelievably high bar.

Probably Manhattan GMAT. They advertise that all of their instructors score in top 1%

Go for GMAT Gold! Proven formula for those looking to score 730+
OlympicGmat

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 21:52
yeah very true.. theposts were really of great use!!! Thanks all
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 10:40
I've heard for McKinsey, the magic number is 700, some say it's 720. Does anyone know or could comment on this?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 10:42
Also, I was reading on the GMAT's purposes - that it should only be used by takers to get in MBA programs. We know that GMAT scores are used by employers. Let's say you got a 690, and got in your choice school. But you're keen on getting into top MC's. Could you take the GMAT to up your score even though you're done with the apps and are actually attending an MBA?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2160

Kudos [?]: 7598 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 10:49
Expert's post
RGM wrote:
Also, I was reading on the GMAT's purposes - that it should only be used by takers to get in MBA programs. We know that GMAT scores are used by employers. Let's say you got a 690, and got in your choice school. But you're keen on getting into top MC's. Could you take the GMAT to up your score even though you're done with the apps and are actually attending an MBA?

i don't see a reason why not but very few employers REQUIRE a certain score; Barclay's was the only Bank I am familiar with that required 700+ to apply, which I think is silly but.... for this purpose, a GMAT score is a GMAT score, regardless of when you took it.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 11:11
bb wrote:
RGM wrote:

i don't see a reason why not but very few employers REQUIRE a certain score; Barclay's was the only Bank I am familiar with that required 700+ to apply, which I think is silly but.... for this purpose, a GMAT score is a GMAT score, regardless of when you took it.

Thanks. It's just weird when employers actually require it. I guess it just makes the GMAT more stressful. It's for the MBA program and for your future.

I'm just worried since I've read a horror story of someone getting into a great MBA program with a low-ish score and because of it, could not get into some of the better jobs. It's just worrying that after all that money and effort that your gmat score can hinder your employment prospects too.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kenan-Flagler, Fuqua (W/L), McCombs
WE 1: Entrepreneurship
WE 2: Non-Profit

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 11:51
RGM wrote:
I've heard for McKinsey, the magic number is 700, some say it's 720. Does anyone know or could comment on this?

I think you're right on. I attended an info session at McCombs a couple of months ago and the subject came up. The admissions officer said that companies such as McKinsey begin recruiting in the first year, and that they often require excellent GMAT scores. I followed up with a question on what that means. She replied 700 minimum. A collective groan emerged from the group.
Intern
Intern
Schools: CMU Tepper
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 05:26
OlympicGMAT wrote:
patents555 wrote:

Probably Manhattan GMAT. They advertise that all of their instructors score in top 1%

A 760 is sufficient to be in the top 1% and Manhattan GMAT does not ask for SAT scores.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 09:52
That is insane. Time to increase my target score!

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2011, 19:41
wow, I need to hustle then
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 11:19
For what it's worth:

I spoke with a recruiter at the Boston Consulting Group (Top Management Consulting Firm), and she said that BCG does NOT have a minimum score requirement on that GMAT.

McKinsey may, but whatever.
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2012, 11:19