Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CMU Tepper
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink]
glenn0613 wrote:
I am also wondering about this, although in a different situation. How important is the GMAT (for employment) for the EMBA graduate? Perhaps it's insignifant for employment since EMBA has a lot of work experience?

I also did a search on the keyword gmat in monster.com (just like what rhyme did in 2006) and got only 1 job that's not related to teaching. So, based on that it seems that nowadays a high gmat is only useful for teaching employment unlike in 2006? I was expecting to get a lot of hits using the gmat keyword in monster.com, since I only got 9 hits and 8 of them are teaching work, I assume the gmat is not that important for employment. Any other opinion please?

I would assume that you're right about the EMBA. I'm guessing that most companies that hire EMBA's are not going to look at your GMAT score. In fact most companies that hire full time MBA's don't look at GMAT scores, the major exceptions being blue chip consulting firms and investment banks. However your Monster search is irrelevant. Number one most of these companies do not post MBA jobs on Monster. They go to a select group of schools and recruit on campus. Number two even if they were to post their jobs on Monster, they would not advertise that fact in the job posting...that would open them up to criticism. However if you go to any one of their sites and attempt to fill out their long online application forms, you will see the GMAT questions, and at some companies it is a mandatory field.

Finally, I hate to beat a dead horse, but I had a heart to heart with a current recruiter from a top tier consulting firm, and he told me in no uncertain terms, that when ranking MBA applications for interview invites GMAT is an extremely important factor.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Does anyone actually know of anyone who didn't get past the resume screening process with a 700+?
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V47
Send PM
FatRiverPuff wrote:
Does anyone actually know of anyone who didn't get past the resume screening process with a 700+?

Sure, I have a 760, and I did not get past the resume screen for several consulting firms. Most firms that I had any meaningful interaction did invite me to interview, but one major one did not.

GMAT is not everything, for many though, it is a nearly necessary check mark.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
randompattern wrote:
glenn0613 wrote:
I am also wondering about this, although in a different situation. How important is the GMAT (for employment) for the EMBA graduate? Perhaps it's insignifant for employment since EMBA has a lot of work experience?

I also did a search on the keyword gmat in monster.com (just like what rhyme did in 2006) and got only 1 job that's not related to teaching. So, based on that it seems that nowadays a high gmat is only useful for teaching employment unlike in 2006? I was expecting to get a lot of hits using the gmat keyword in monster.com, since I only got 9 hits and 8 of them are teaching work, I assume the gmat is not that important for employment. Any other opinion please?

I would assume that you're right about the EMBA. I'm guessing that most companies that hire EMBA's are not going to look at your GMAT score. In fact most companies that hire full time MBA's don't look at GMAT scores, the major exceptions being blue chip consulting firms and investment banks. However your Monster search is irrelevant. Number one most of these companies do not post MBA jobs on Monster. They go to a select group of schools and recruit on campus. Number two even if they were to post their jobs on Monster, they would not advertise that fact in the job posting...that would open them up to criticism. However if you go to any one of their sites and attempt to fill out their long online application forms, you will see the GMAT questions, and at some companies it is a mandatory field.

Finally, I hate to beat a dead horse, but I had a heart to heart with a current recruiter from a top tier consulting firm, and he told me in no uncertain terms, that when ranking MBA applications for interview invites GMAT is an extremely important factor.

rhyme's search for 'gmat' keyword returned a few results in monster.com
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
I Wish to move into Consultancy domain post MBA. Can someone advise if i need to retake the exam? Would getting a 720 or 730 increase my chances of getting a job compared to 700? Do employers view 730/720 differently from 700?

Thanks,
LC
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
LifeChanger wrote:
I Wish to move into Consultancy domain post MBA. Can someone advise if i need to retake the exam? Would getting a 720 or 730 increase my chances of getting a job compared to 700? Do employers view 730/720 differently from 700?

Thanks,
LC

Because your quant score is perfect, I don't think it would make much of a difference, unless you KNOW you could maintain the same quant score while easily improving your verbal score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
I'm a current student and I retook it specifically to make myself more attractive to consulting firms. It's amazing how big of a deal this test is. I tried to explain to friends and family and even some other business students why I was retaking it and several didn't understand my reasoning.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
randompattern wrote:
DJK wrote:

True, although I did not say GMAT scores do not matter; I said that there is no minimum ;).

I do not deny that the scores are a big component - how could they not be? MBBs recruit from top business schools. Those who attend top business schools, generally have good GMAT scores.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, why do you say the GMAT scores play a major role? (congrats on your 760 btw) Did the firms explicitly tell you this? If so, what exactly did they say if you don't mind sharing.

I am certainly not in a position to say why GMAT scores play such a large role for consulting firms, however I don't think it is mere correlation between top GMAT scores and top business schools. From what I've seen, even in top business schools the higher a student's GMAT score the more likely they will get a consulting interview. Once a student does get the interview, however, I don't think the GMAT matters for the offer.

I was explicitly told of the GMAT's importance by one prestigious consulting firm. I was contacted by a recruiter who said he wanted to make sure I applied to his company. I told him I was flattered and wanted to know why they specifically wanted me to apply. He seemed taken off guard by the response and said "Your GMAT for one thing." I don't know if they did the same thing to students with the same or higher scores...so take what you want from that story.

How did the receuiter know your gmat score if you had not applied yet?? Do schools share this freely to anyone?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Just wanted to add two instances to the discussion above-- I know that a student at a top 3 UK Mba program had to retake GMAT to get into the top consulting firm of his choice, his present score was 680 and he wanted a 700+.

Another friend at a top Indian B-school (one of the IIM) was asked to retake the test by career services to make her profile more appealing to finance firms even though she didn't have to take it as a qualifying test (the CAT exam score is used to qualify).

So,I guess the GMAT score is important both for MBA admissions and post-MBA career prospects.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
Send PM
Nice thread. I know for a fact that top consulting firms also scan for very good GPAs, apart from great GMAT scores. These numbers are all used as checks in their filtering process. So, if you have good stats, your chances of landing an interview are good, which is not to say these are the only criteria factored in the selection. Basically, they are looking for superhumans(and do end up finding many)!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
I would think that the GMAT score can get you into a top business school, and the top business school is your key to a top management consulting firm.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBB
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT is definitely a factor in deciding who makes the MBB closed list, however its importance varies by firm. At BCG for example, it is a relatively minor part of the resume screening criteria (less important than the prestige of your schools and employers, your professional experience, and your leadership and communication skills). In terms of the actual score, anything below 680 is a detractor, 750 and above is a positive, and 680-740 is considered neutral.

McKinsey has a greater emphasis on high (700+) GMAT scores as well as their problem solving test (PST)

My general advice to candidates is that if you have a 700+, you have basically checked the box for the "raw horsepower" the firms are looking for and should be focusing on presenting your background well on your resume, networking effectively, and then getting ready for those (hopefully) upcoming interviews.

-Jeff
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
I should add that GMAT is completely irrelevant for those of you who want to be into general management / marketing.

I applied to a couple GM / Mkt positions back in my first year of business school and the recruiters in those industries told me they did not care about GMAT scores.

-Jeff
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
BeyondCasePrep wrote:
GMAT is definitely a factor in deciding who makes the MBB closed list, however its importance varies by firm. At BCG for example, it is a relatively minor part of the resume screening criteria (less important than the prestige of your schools and employers, your professional experience, and your leadership and communication skills). In terms of the actual score, anything below 680 is a detractor, 750 and above is a positive, and 680-740 is considered neutral.

McKinsey has a greater emphasis on high (700+) GMAT scores as well as their problem solving test (PST)

My general advice to candidates is that if you have a 700+, you have basically checked the box for the "raw horsepower" the firms are looking for and should be focusing on presenting your background well on your resume, networking effectively, and then getting ready for those (hopefully) upcoming interviews.

-Jeff

Based on your experiences at BCG, did you see anyone getting in with a <650, but who aced the interviews?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Hailmary,

Yes, people with lower GMAT scores (>650) do get offers, but candidly it can be difficult to do so. The biggest challenge with a low GMAT is getting the opportunity to interview. What I have seen is that people who have low GMAT's but still get interviews tend to have one or more of the following characteristics:

- Significant strengths elsewhere in their profile (e.g. great school, prestigious work experience, demonstrated leadership)
- Other quantifiable data that shows their "horsepower" (e.g. high SAT score, good grades)
- Strong presence when networking with the firms (i.e. charismatic, well-spoken)

Basically, the key is to show your strengths and try to minimize the area of "weakness" in your profile.

I hope this helps! Feel free to follow up with any additional questions on our thread at https://gmatclub.com/forum/interview-prep-with-former-mck-and-bcg-interviewers-157459.html and check out our Facebook page for future tips at https://www.facebook.com/beyondcaseprep
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Do MBB care about your AWA and IR scores? Also, what is the acceptable score...is it 700, 720 or higher?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Do MBA candidates in the UK have to take the Mckinsey PST test?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3