Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 02:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG 11 SC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
OG 11 SC [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 03:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:37) correct 25% (00:32) wrong based on 12 sessions
Hey can someone help with this...I marked A,but the OA is B.....How is this possible "Like" is used to compare two nouns/noun phrases....But here he is comparing two actions i.e "genes can"...and "Perls...." so I think "As" is the correct word to use ...so i went with A
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

OG11 SC.jpg
OG11 SC.jpg [ 31.18 KiB | Viewed 1558 times ]

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 11 SC [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 01:47
B
think that if it whoul be "...as pearls do, moving..." <= that whoud be correct
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 11 SC [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 05:45
Can anyone help with this...........

Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 11 SC [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 12:31
kotela wrote:
Hey can someone help with this...I marked A,but the OA is B.....How is this possible "Like" is used to compare two nouns/noun phrases....But here he is comparing two actions i.e "genes can"...and "Perls...." so I think "As" is the correct word to use ...so i went with A

More than thirty years ago Dr. Barbara McClintock, the Nobel Prize winner, reported that genes can “jump” as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another.

(A) as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
(B) like pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
(C) as pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
(D) like pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
(E) as do pearls that move mysteriously from one necklace to some other one

Like - used to compare two nouns. As - used to compare two clauses. Here genes (Noun) are comparing with pearls (Noun).

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 11 SC [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 15:36
Baten80 wrote:
kotela wrote:

More than thirty years ago Dr. Barbara McClintock, the Nobel Prize winner, reported that genes can “jump” as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another.

(A) as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
(B) like pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
(C) as pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
(D) like pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
(E) as do pearls that move mysteriously from one necklace to some other one

Like - used to compare two nouns. As - used to compare two clauses. Here genes (Noun) are comparing with pearls (Noun).

Here he is using "Genes" can Jump" so it is clause with a working verb....and compares with another clause "pearls can jump"....i went with "AS"....what is your view on this?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 17

Re: OG 11 SC [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 21:47
I agree with kotela. Could you please explain it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 11 SC [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 22:18
i read in somewhere that ing form is not verb. hence, moving is not used as verb here.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 17

Re: OG 11 SC [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 22:37
What's wrong with 'as pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others' ?
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1241

Kudos [?]: 3422 [0], given: 183

Re: OG 11 SC [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 12:00
Expert's post
Hi All,

More than 30 years ago Dr, Barbara McClintock, the Nobel Prize winner, reported that genes can “jump”, as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another.

“Like” and “As”, both are used to convey comparison is a sentence. However, there is a difference between their usages. “Like” is always followed only by a “noun” or a “pronoun” whereas “As” is always followed by a “clause”.

Going by this rule, the original sentence is incorrect because here “as” is not followed by a clause. This error can be rectified either by placing a clause after “as” or by replacing “as” with “like”.

POE:

Choice A: as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another. Incorrect for the reason stated above.

Choice B: like pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another. Correct.

Choice C: as pearls do that move from one necklace to others. Incorrect. Firstly, “that” is relative pronoun that modifies a noun. So “that” should touch the noun it modifies. But in this choice, “that” is away. Also, the use of “others” is not correct here. The intended meaning is that pearls move from necklace to another necklace. Using “others” make it ambiguous as to where the pearls move to.

Choice D: like pearls do that move from one necklace to others. Incorrect. Apart from repeating the “that” and “others” errors of choice C, this choice has another error. “like” has been followed by a clause here.

Choice E: as do pearls that move mysteriously from one necklace to some other one. Incorrect. This sentence distorts the meaning of the sentence. By using the modifier "that move" and verb "do" for pearls, it appears that pearls to two actions - pearls jump and by the way these pearls also move mysteriously...This is not the intended meaning. The author actually wants to say that genes jump like the pearls. And then he describes the manner in which these pearls jump - by moving mysteriously.

1. “Like” is followed by a noun and “as” is followed by a clause.
2. Be careful of any change in words that appear in the original sentence.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: OG 11 SC [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 03:52
mydreammba wrote:

as +subject+do , is correct idiom. A is wrong

like +noun at the end of sentence is similar to "as +subject+do". B is correct

from one to another " is idiom. C,D, E are wrong grammarticaly

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: OG 11 SC   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2014, 03:52