Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 08:09 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 08:09
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which School Should I choose?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Georgetown or UNC - PLEASE HELP!!! [#permalink]
RG0105 wrote:
I've actually researched this quite a bit and am deciding between those 2 too (and USC for other reasons)...you're right about recruiting at Gtown...pretty much every major bank recruits there for i-banking. They seem to have a strong undergrad pipeline to NYC, so the banks show up for the UGs and figure they might as well take a few MBA's...

UNC has stronger ties to Charlotte banking but also places pretty well in NYC. Paul Parker (the head of global M&A at Barclays) is a UNC guy and takes a ton of MBA's every year. And the proximity to Duke helps (banks come for Duke, check out UNC too).

These banks recruit at Gtown: JP Morgan, Citi, BA/ML, Wells Fargo, Nomura, BMO, Lazard (Barclays, DB, CS, Goldman, UBS recruit but not on-campus)...

The UNC list: Barclays, Wells Fargo, BA/ML, MS, Suntrust, UBS, Jeffries...

I would ignore the rankings...in terms of i-banking/corporate finance, they're essentially peer schools.

Hope that helps...good luck with your decision...

Thanks for your help! So which school would you choose? Have you made your decision yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
I was faced with a similar decision so I have researched this as well.

UNC places a slightly higher percentage of graduates in financial services. Georgetown places a slightly higher percentage of graduates in consulting. Each seem to place about equally in the Northeast.

That being said, I don't think you are sacrificing either quality of education or opportunity by choosing one over the other...unless you have particular companies or locations you want to target as mentioned above. Otherwirse, think about where you want to live after, each school's curriculum, and the lifestyle you want to live while attending school. These are important factors to consider and each school will provide a very distinct experience in those regards. I would try to talk with students and alum that are not 'official' admission ambassadors if at all possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
TaylorS13 wrote:

Thanks for your help! So which school would you choose? Have you made your decision yet?

I would agree with jmr71483. You will essentially have the same opportunities from both schools, so it really comes down to which you prefer from a fit standpoint. I think the Georgetown brand has a little more cachet (especially outside of the East coast), and DC itself is an amazing city. UNC has more of that Southern charm feel to it and Chapel Hill is the quintessential college town - so it just seems like a fun place to "escape" to for a couple of years. I've met really impressive students and alums from both schools.

As for me, it's still a toss up...
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1126 posts