Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 04:01 It is currently 23 May 2024, 04:01
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT Date: 12-05-2013
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 591 [1]
Given Kudos: 169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Big dream/Poor profile [#permalink]
MBAHelp wrote:
PlanetEarth wrote:

I am assuming this post is about yourself, my apologies if I got that wrong!

You have a lot of self doubt, which is not too good. B-schools do like super achievers or just achieveres, and self doubt eats into the confidence that stems from having achieved something. So, for your next query on this forum, try to write with a new perspective of having done all those great street shows, because of your passion for them and how you were able to impact your viewers' lives through the messages of your shows.

Regarding your b-school apps - well your undergrad GPA is very low, and consider that to be a potential hazard. So you must try to score well in the GMAT - definitely upward of 720.

Realistically speaking, the admissions would like to know why you want an MBA. A vague idea that an MBA degree will make your life better, or that it is like a magic pill for better life will not suffice. See, at this point you are thinking so much about spending Rs. 15,000 on the GMAT. The MBA itself will be a big blow financially, so you should have some solid reasons for doing it. They could be related to your current work. You have been acting so far, but eventually you may want to start a professionally run theatre, for which you do not have the wherewithals (knowledge, network etc.) to do so at present. And therefore you are seeking an MBA education to figure your way out. If your career goals are related to just being an actor, then an MBA will probably not be the right course for you.

Namita,

Hi Namita

You are absolutely correct on my post mba goal and reason for doing mba.

I would like to start a production company and a Theater group basically who can work for Social cause(NGO), it will be more of taking government projects.

MBA will add a value in my resume moreover it will give me an exposure to the international market to get connected with right network.

Secondly as far as the diversity in the class is concern i will be the right candidate almost all the students will learn from me.For example i am very extrovert, expressive , how to attract people who are walking on road etc. Most importantly i have worked for many social causes just to make people more aware and attentive without any money.

Finally yes i want to do mba to earn money because a project wont just work on willingness it would need money.\\

And yes i understand ivey would be difficult, i am open to quality programs and not just ivey.

Thank you would love to hear your response.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ErinaApphelp105 wrote:
Hi,

The question is why you want to earn an MBA at this stage? How will an MBA help to achieve your dreams/goals? If you are clear on these then it’s achievable. Let me know in case of further queries.

Regards
Erina

PlanetEarth wrote:

Hi Erina

I would like to start a production company and a Theater group basically who can work for Social cause(NGO), it will be more of taking government projects.

MBA will add a value in my resume moreover it will give me an exposure to the international market to get connected with right network.

Secondly as far as the diversity in the class is concern i will be the right candidate almost all the students will learn from me.For example i am very extrovert, expressive , how to attract people who are walking on road etc. Most importantly i have worked for many social causes just to make people more aware and attentive without any money.

Finally yes i want to do mba to earn money because a project wont just work on willingness it would need money.\\

And yes i understand ivey would be difficult, i am open to quality programs and not just ivey.

Thank you would love to hear your response.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MBA schools like nontraditional applicants and especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds. A high GMAT/GRE score would help, though, in showing that you do have the potential to excel at the program. You might consider the GRE since the exam costs less.

Reading the thread below I see you wish to start a production company and work for a social cause. There are combined MFA in Theater Management / MBA degrees. Earlier this year I helped an applicant gain acceptance to Yale’s program. I would recommend you research other programs you would be competitive for by starting here https://www.gradschools.com/search-progr ... ma/masters and cross-referencing these with MBA programs.

Good luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
https://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
https://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAPrepAdvantage wrote:
MBA schools like nontraditional applicants and especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds. A high GMAT/GRE score would help, though, in showing that you do have the potential to excel at the program. You might consider the GRE since the exam costs less.

Reading the thread below I see you wish to start a production company and work for a social cause. There are combined MFA in Theater Management / MBA degrees. Earlier this year I helped an applicant gain acceptance to Yale’s program. I would recommend you research other programs you would be competitive for by starting here https://www.gradschools.com/search-progr ... ma/masters and cross-referencing these with MBA programs.

Good luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
https://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
https://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

That was a great help...Can you suggest me some good US bschool (target gmat 720).

My post graduation goal is to work for 5 years in the international market before starting my own project.Its has to advantages one is i will save some part of the money which i will invest,second i will make good contacts also this exposure will be very handy.

Basically i am looking for General management or MBA in finance domain.

Thank you.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
PlanetEarth wrote:

That was a great help...Can you suggest me some good US bschool (target gmat 720).

My post graduation goal is to work for 5 years in the international market before starting my own project.Its has to advantages one is i will save some part of the money which i will invest,second i will make good contacts also this exposure will be very handy.

Basically i am looking for General management or MBA in finance domain.

Thank you.

Well, since Finance + General Management are the mainstays of every single MBA out there, (makeup 40-70% of pretty much every graduating class at every school) your answer is: any MBA! :) (Meaning the BEST ones you can get into when the time is right).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
In the U.S. you are looking at schools outside the Top 20. Have you considered looking at MBA schools in India like the different Indian Institute of Managements (IIMs)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
From what I've read, granted I'm stilling researching my own b-school options, admissions directors will sometimes take financial and work situations into account while evaluating someone's undergraduate gpa.

As a theatre actor and street performer, you might have an interesting and unusual story that could impress adcoms.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Crossroads is correct. There are many mitigating factors for low grades of which financial and work circumstances play a factor. But the higher the GMAT score, the better the GMAT score corroborates your reasons.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot