Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 21:55 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 21:55
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65681 [13]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65681 [1]
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33213 [0]
Given Kudos: 4498
Send PM
Re: Possible Reasons for Unexpected Verbal Scores [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
In the actual GMAT, people expect to score similar to their prep test scores. But in the last few days, I have come across quite a few cases on the forum in which people score much lower on GMAT verbal than they do on prep test verbal. So I thought of digging up a bit on why this might be taking place.

Here are some of Brian's thoughts (and my comments in brackets):

· A lot of prep RC passages are “old” in the longer-winded 400+ word count days, but the newer passages are shorter and denser *and* everyone seems to get 4 passages (I have also heard about people getting 5).

· I have to bet the official SC is getting tougher. Especially among the forum crowd you have a lot of memorizers who might have gotten by on previous “memorize between vs. among” or “memorize such as vs. like” questions but now they’re more reasoning-based (more questions based on accurate meaning). And I doubt the most popular tests have caught up, so they’re practicing for older questions.

· Really the best explanation I have is that the test is evolving faster than some popular practice tests.

· ALSO – I wonder how many prep tests are from people doing AWA/IR first. I bet IR saps people’s energy more than they think and they’re losing focus toward the end.

· Perhaps a downside to a lot of forum time - I wonder if students had seen enough practice test questions discussed on the forums - or direct ripoffs and variations of them - that their scores were a little inflated.

On the whole, the point is that actual GMAT is tougher than some popular practice tests. These tests have probably been the same for the past 3-4 yrs though the pattern especially of Verbal has changed drastically.

My suggestion going forward will be to adapt yourself to the new GMAT - shorter but denser RCs and reasoning based SCs. Try to get hold of some latest tests for two reasons - the questions would be better suited to the current GMAT and the questions would be *new* i.e. they wouldn't have been discussed on the forum before. Also, web based tests are better than downloadable one. (Let me add here that one neat feature of our new tests is that they're web based and easy to update, so we can update, add, and delete questions instantly.)

always on the frontline with amazing advice :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
In the actual GMAT, people expect to score similar to their prep test scores. But in the last few days, I have come across quite a few cases on the forum in which people score much lower on GMAT verbal than they do on prep test verbal. So I thought of digging up a bit on why this might be taking place.

· A lot of prep RC passages are “old” in the longer-winded 400+ word count days, but the newer passages are shorter and denser *and* everyone seems to get 4 passages (I have also heard about people getting 5).

· I have to bet the official SC is getting tougher. Especially among the forum crowd you have a lot of memorizers who might have gotten by on previous “memorize between vs. among” or “memorize such as vs. like” questions but now they’re more reasoning-based (more questions based on accurate meaning). And I doubt the most popular tests have caught up, so they’re practicing for older questions.

· Really the best explanation I have is that the test is evolving faster than some popular practice tests.

· ALSO – I wonder how many prep tests are from people doing AWA/IR first. I bet IR saps people’s energy more than they think and they’re losing focus toward the end.

· Perhaps a downside to a lot of forum time - I wonder if students had seen enough practice test questions discussed on the forums - or direct ripoffs and variations of them - that their scores were a little inflated.

On the whole, the point is that actual GMAT is tougher than some popular practice tests. These tests have probably been the same for the past 3-4 yrs though the pattern especially of Verbal has changed drastically.

My suggestion going forward will be to adapt yourself to the new GMAT - shorter but denser RCs and reasoning based SCs. Try to get hold of some latest tests for two reasons - the questions would be better suited to the current GMAT and the questions would be *new* i.e. they wouldn't have been discussed on the forum before. Also, web based tests are better than downloadable one. (Let me add here that one neat feature of our new tests is that they're web based and easy to update, so we can update, add, and delete questions instantly.)

Hi Karishma,

I agree with - · Really the best explanation I have is that the test is evolving faster than some popular practice tests.
but what is solution for this? Practice tests from prep companies are, are only source. I think ball in their court now.

and this - actual GMAT is tougher than some popular practice tests.

Please tell me how to do what you mention here "Try to get hold of some latest tests"
GMATPrep only offers two exams. Every one already has OG's, OG Supplements as well the official Question Pack.

What else do we do?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65681 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
cumulonimbus wrote:
Hi Karishma,

I agree with - · Really the best explanation I have is that the test is evolving faster than some popular practice tests.
but what is solution for this? Practice tests from prep companies are, are only source. I think ball in their court now.

and this - actual GMAT is tougher than some popular practice tests.

Please tell me how to do what you mention here "Try to get hold of some latest tests"
GMATPrep only offers two exams. Every one already has OG's, OG Supplements as well the official Question Pack.

What else do we do?

I don't know what everybody else is doing but I can tell you what we are doing about it:

We realize the problem and that is why our team has been busy creating new relevant questions for the past few months (with a small contribution from yours truly too). Our recently released 5 tests have been made keeping the changing pattern in mind. Also, they have novelty value since they have not been discussed on the forum yet. Of course, with time, those questions will come to the forum but I will encourage people to use a spoiler alert so that people who wish to take the complete test do not try those questions before hand. Also, the tests are web based so we keep updating them with new questions.

What you can do:

You can get in touch with the prep provider you use and ask them about the age and relevance of their tests in the current scenario. Take the score of only their latest tests (which are according to the changing GMAT pattern) seriously. The other tests can be used for practice.

You obviously cannot do anything about the official GMAT prep tests - you would have seen questions from those and the questions would be a little old but still they are great practice and a must do.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 755 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Hi Karishma,

Can these recent tests be purchased separately or are these part of your courses?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I might have to buy some new tests or try something different for the verbal section next time I take the GMAT...

I got a Q48 V29 --> 640, but my practice tests were all V33 - V37, so i was pretty shocked, I used 4 CATs from kaplan and 3 CATs from MGMAT, my gmatpreps gave me the highest verbal scores actuall V36 and V37, so i was pretty confused when I got my results, perhaps it was my lack of energy toward the end
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6106 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
There is a great article here.. Similar to this topic

3-reasons-why-you-may-not-score-as-high-on-gmat-verbal-154141.html?fl=similar
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65681 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
laserglare wrote:
I might have to buy some new tests or try something different for the verbal section next time I take the GMAT...

I got a Q48 V29 --> 640, but my practice tests were all V33 - V37, so i was pretty shocked, I used 4 CATs from kaplan and 3 CATs from MGMAT, my gmatpreps gave me the highest verbal scores actuall V36 and V37, so i was pretty confused when I got my results, perhaps it was my lack of energy toward the end

Yes, stamina can certainly be an issue at the end of the test though that gets factored in when you take the prep tests along with AWA and IR. So the remedy is to get into the habit of studying for long hours at a time (with small 8-10 min breaks in between) and take the tests with all the frills (AWA, IR, break, Quant, break, Verbal).
Intern
Intern
Status:I will not let the numbers undermine me! GMAT... See you again soon! And this time, i will come with a BANG!
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
MzJavert wrote:

So depending on the number of questions per passage, it's possible that half of your verbal questions will be from RC? If that's the case students preparing for the GMAT need to spend substantially more time preparing for RC questions.

I don't think the ratio is that skewed. If you get more passages, you might get fewer questions per passage. People usually get 4 passages and 3/4 questions per passage so they would get around 14 questions from RC (par for the course). If they get 5 passages, they may get only 3 questions per passage and hence 15 questions - in this case RC has slightly more weightage. The issue here is that it takes a lot of time to go through the passage and understand it. Having fewer questions from more passages eats into your time.

Hello Karishma,

I agree with you completely. The number of questions per passage is small. When i took the test 2 days back, my passages (total 4) were not very difficult to understand. However, the answer choices... They seemed to be very close! I seem to get the gist of it! But it does not help in answering the questions. Believe me, its more frustrating to read the passage over 2 times, understand what the author means and still either none or more than 2 of the choices still make sense! The passage covered the choices at one place or the other and I believe i picked the wrong answer every time. Now that we know, that the passages are shorter and sometimes even easy to understand, what are the best ways to tackle RCs with tricky questions and close choices? I do not have a technique of my own yet, i am trying to understand what works best for me. How should i approach this situation?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 854 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14031 posts