Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 10:37 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 10:37
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3689 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31037 [4]
Given Kudos: 640
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Having a hard time with the hard OG problems in CR [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatman13 wrote:
Hey guys, Im doing really well in the OG questions in CR up to about number 80, almost 95% correct but after that when I hit the hard problems I go down to about 50% correct and it is really pissing me off to loose such accuracy so quickly.

Its obvious that I need more practice with tougher questions, but aside from the OG where can I find a bank of questions that focus on JUST the hard 700-800 level questions. I know that GMATclub has a question bank and wanted to know what people thought about taking that route to get more practice questions.

I've done the MGMAT questions so that resource is out.

Thanks guys

You seem to be falling for a very common trap.

Low accuracy/not able to solve questions ----> Need more questions to practice

You may need more practice but that is a secondary requirement. Your primary requirement is understanding "WHY" your accuracy falls so drastically. "Do difficult questions require a much nuanced understanding of questions?" "You are good at basic concepts but not really the subtle understandings. " "Do you get confused between two choices in difficult questions and end up selecting the wrong one 50% of the time?"

What is the reason? You need to find that out. Unless you do that, all the additional practice you do will only give you satisfaction, not accuracy.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey thanks guys for your responses.

What I've noticed is that yes I get down to two correct choices in the hard problems and end up choosing the wrong choice.

I've tried to re-do all the hard problems in the OG to force myself to think critically at the higher levels, and I really dont seem to be detecting a reason why I choose the wrong answer half the time.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4066 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
egmat wrote:
gmatman13 wrote:
Hey guys, Im doing really well in the OG questions in CR up to about number 80, almost 95% correct but after that when I hit the hard problems I go down to about 50% correct and it is really pissing me off to loose such accuracy so quickly.

Its obvious that I need more practice with tougher questions, but aside from the OG where can I find a bank of questions that focus on JUST the hard 700-800 level questions. I know that GMATclub has a question bank and wanted to know what people thought about taking that route to get more practice questions.

Thanks guys

You may need more practice but that is a secondary requirement. Your primary requirement is understanding "WHY" your accuracy falls so drastically. "Do difficult questions require a much nuanced understanding of questions?" "You are good at basic concepts but not really the subtle understandings. " "Do you get confused between two choices in difficult questions and end up selecting the wrong one 50% of the time?"

What is the reason? You need to find that out. Unless you do that, all the additional practice you do will only give you satisfaction, not accuracy.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Hi Chiranjeev,
Sort of same problem for me also... :(
I'd say it's a mixed of above 3 reasons as stated by you...with a 20-30-50 ratio probably. So,the last one is more prevalent I think in my case.

It'd be really helpful if you could suggest some remedies to mitigate these weaknesses in least possible time.

Would much appreciate your feedback.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31037 [0]
Given Kudos: 640
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
bagdbmba wrote:
egmat wrote:
gmatman13 wrote:

Thanks guys

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Hi Chiranjeev,
Sort of same problem for me also... :(
I'd say it's a mixed of above 3 reasons as stated by you...with a 20-30-50 ratio probably. So,the last one is more prevalent I think in my case.

It'd be really helpful if you could suggest some remedies to mitigate these weaknesses in least possible time.

Would much appreciate your feedback.

Hi,

It's good that you have at least identified your problems. The only remedy to tackle is to analyse and analyse hard where you make mistakes. Why you think the way you think? Do you maintain an error log? Are you able to identify any patterns?

Also, different from above things, when you read any CR passage, are you able to clearly follow the logic of the passage? Related to this, how is your accuracy in Bold Face questions? Is it higher or lower than other CR questions?

Also, if you do analyze your mistakes, then can you share a couple of CR question you did incorrectly and the corresponding analysis? I would then try to help you identify the exact areas where you lack.

I know I haven't provided any suggestion but rather asked loads of questions. I believe a general "gyaan" (lecture) would not help you even though on the face, it may look really cool and informative. So, get down to work. Ask yourself hard questions. Then, let me know when I can help you.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Quote:

Hi,

It's good that you have at least identified your problems. The only remedy to tackle is to analyse and analyse hard where you make mistakes. Why you think the way you think? Do you maintain an error log? Are you able to identify any patterns?

Also, different from above things, when you read any CR passage, are you able to clearly follow the logic of the passage? Related to this, how is your accuracy in Bold Face questions? Is it higher or lower than other CR questions?

Also, if you do analyze your mistakes, then can you share a couple of CR question you did incorrectly and the corresponding analysis? I would then try to help you identify the exact areas where you lack.

I know I haven't provided any suggestion but rather asked loads of questions. I believe a general "gyaan" (lecture) would not help you even though on the face, it may look really cool and informative. So, get down to work. Ask yourself hard questions. Then, let me know when I can help you.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

I actually reacted to your question about "Bold Face" accuracy (might be why my CR % is so low?) - this is my weakest area in CR (along with assumption & must be true questions). I too feel that I shouldn't be doing too many questions but rather focus on analyzing my mistakes - how is this done with CR?

How do I look for patterns?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14031 posts