Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 13:15 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 13:15
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Please Evaluate My Profile [#permalink]
You should be fine -- most adcoms know that production work is a freelance model (though you should at least state that in the optional essay just for extra clarity that your industry is structured that way).
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2067 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Please Evaluate My Profile - Filmmaker Wants MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ashleyjpark wrote:
AlexMBAApply wrote:
ashleyjpark wrote:
Hello,

I have a background in filmmaking, and I want to take serious step towards marketing.
The reason why I am applying for MBA is that I want to really learn the business side. I really want to know how to market the films.
I went to MBA school conference (hosted by Kaplan), but I could not find any adequate answers.

Here's my profile:
Race: Asian-American (Citizen)
Education: New York University BFA in Film & Television (Full Scholarship) in 2011
GPA: 3.65

GMAT: 700 Q-48 V-38

Work Experience: (Here's the tricky part)
I worked as a freelance producer & editor in film.
- I produced a feature narrative film currently in finishing (to go to festivals)
- I edited a feature documentary film airing on major premium channel (right now)
- I produced and edited numerous web viral including music videos (no one really famous though) + short films
- Many credits on assistant editing mostly indie films or web series launched by big companies like Conde Nast)
- I worked as a freelance editor for Clear Channel Media for variety of marketing projects

Internships:
- BBC (in UK)
- National Geographic
- Documentary film company, 4th Row Films

Goal:
- Apply MBA in 2014
- Finish MBA in Marketing (related to media and entertainment)

Schools I want to apply (for now)
- Yale
- UVa
- UNC or Duke
- Kellog (Northwestern)
- UCLA
- Foster (U. Wash)

What I need evaluation on:
- I don't have a solid 2 year working background at a firm. Do you think I still have a shot?
- What would be a proper approach to MBA application with my "special status"?
- I would like to get some recommendation for schools (Top reach, Mid ground, and Safety?)
- Besides the school ranking, I really want to know if there's any school specially good at media marketing.

Thank you! :-D

Honestly I don't think you need an MBA unless you're interested in working on the corporate side of the industry (i.e. you're a salaried employee at one of the major studios in their marketing group). If you're looking to stay on the production side as a producer, then I would look into the Stark program at USC Film School, which will give you a LOT more mileage than any MBA program - simply because what you'll learn will be focused on the industry, and everyone in your class (your future network) will also be working in the industry.

Now, if you're interested in the corporate side and/or you're looking to get out of production altogether (or getting out of the industry altogether), then here's where you stand:

Stern, Yale, Cornell, Duke, Darden, Ross, UCLA: focus on 3-4 from this list.
Schools outside the top 16 such as USC, Georgetown, Maryland, Emory, Tepper, Texas, Purdue, Indiana, UNC: focus on 1-2 from this list.
Schools outside the top 30 such as Foster, Olin, Rice, SMU, etc: these are safeties - maybe 0-1 from this list.

Thank you for your reply!

I would like to be involved in more broad spectrum of media marketing. So, yes, I would like to get out of "production" industry and become a media marketer.
I actually considered USC producer's track and NYU MBA&MFA track, but I heard from people that BFA in NYU is pretty good enough that I don't need to show extra film related education.
I think the list of schools you've given me is somewhat on the side of what I was thinking.

Do you think my freelance work experience is sufficient enough to apply R1 next year?

Well, if you REALLY want to get into film marketing, LA should be on your list too. And I agree that an MBA may not be the right degree. The Producer's tracks will probably be a lot better for you to do the one thing you really need - Network. (and maybe get those good industry internships too)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please Evaluate My Profile - Filmmaker Wants MBA [#permalink]