Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 03:13 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 03:13
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [13]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 2.77
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2989 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 01-07-2014
Send PM
Re: Native Speaker: 640 to 680 to 710 to Kellogg to Bain [Updated] [#permalink]
Thank you for posting your story and especially for the tips! Congratulations!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
WJ44, congratulations and thanks for such an informative and inspirational post!

Do you think your first shot at the GMAT in 2012 was worth it? I identify strongly with your profile and something you said really struck a chord with me: "I just wasn’t ready but I forced myself to take the exam anyhow." Going into your first GMAT with this mentality, how was it for you? Would you do it again?

It's exactly what I'm struggling with. I have been studying for four months on my own but something hasn't quite "clicked yet" and I know I have more work to do and don't feel ready. But I already postponed the test once and feel like I may keep postponing forever if I just don't go ahead and do it! I don't want to "waste" a GMAT sit-in. Part of me just feels like I need to put in more work and time before I try for the first time, but also feel to have hit a wall in my studying. Any thoughts? Truly appreciate your input and again, congrats!

All the best!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
fcy wrote:
WJ44, congratulations and thanks for such an informative and inspirational post!

Do you think your first shot at the GMAT in 2012 was worth it? I identify strongly with your profile and something you said really struck a chord with me: "I just wasn’t ready but I forced myself to take the exam anyhow." Going into your first GMAT with this mentality, how was it for you? Would you do it again?

It's exactly what I'm struggling with. I have been studying for four months on my own but something hasn't quite "clicked yet" and I know I have more work to do and don't feel ready. But I already postponed the test once and feel like I may keep postponing forever if I just don't go ahead and do it! I don't want to "waste" a GMAT sit-in. Part of me just feels like I need to put in more work and time before I try for the first time, but also feel to have hit a wall in my studying. Any thoughts? Truly appreciate your input and again, congrats!

All the best!

To answer your questions:
Going into your first GMAT with this mentality, how was it for you? I had a poor mentality going in. Don't just force the test if you aren't where you want to be. You've already missed RII of this season. So you shouldn't feel bad about postponing, especially if things haven't clicked.
Would you do it again? NO! I regret having four attempting on my testing history. See below for further advice.

I wasn't strategic about my study habits or really tracking how I was doing. So my 640 wasn't all that surprising. I had no distinction between my verbal and quant score. I was taking practice exams and getting around the 650 range. To really excel at the GMAT you need to have an incredible understanding of your weaknesses, delineating between verbal and quant. If for instance, you are like me with a low quant score, I essentially stopped studying for verbal for a while to improve in math. That paid off... but was not my approach last year. I would just sort of open up my books and study whatever.

Another piece of advice: CREATE a study plan and stick to it (there are several on this forum). I didn't 100% follow a study plan the second time around but I did keep track of my work. For instance, I had a checklist of all the chapters in the Manhattan guides for Math. Every time I finished creating notes for a chapter in the book, I would check it off the list. Often times tracking what you have done can be equally as effective as following a plan of what you should do.

Ask around, if you have friends that are studying too or taking the GMAT. Let them know that you are studying as well. Simply talking about it with other people will really motivate you to keep up the pace, instead of putting it off.

VISIT a school. A big turning point for me, in my final improvement (from 680 - 710) I visited both Duke and Northwestern. What once was simply a test that I struggled with, turned into an opportunity to get into a great school. I took that mentality going into my last test; because I had visited schools I could imagine what life would be like as long as a took care of the GMAT. All of the sudden the journey became very real, I could study longer, focus harder, and care more about studying for the GMAT. I think this is what you really need, the GMAT for you now is this annoying test, but it's really your ticket to an awesome experience, it's just tough for you to imagine right now. Find the closest school (maybe one you aren't even perhaps researching) and take a visit. Sit in on a class, talk to students, go out with them, etc.

In summary: Ironically enough, don't try to grind through and just study harder. Talk to others, visit schools, and then your natural drive will kick in and you'll want to buckle down and study.

My Advice (in this sequence):
1 - Find a school, visit it. BE INSPIRED.
2 - Find people taking the GMAT, talk to them about it.
3 - I.D. weaknesses and do something about them
4 - Create a study plan, execute, track your progress
5 - CONTINUE TO VISIT THIS FORUM FOR ADVICE AND CONTENT
6 - Destroy the GMAT
7 - Live a long and fulfilling life

let me know if you have further questions or things you'd like to expand upon. If I could help you get that first score up I will feel better about having taken the GMAT FOUR TIMES!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
WJ44 wrote:
I drank a full cup of coffee (I quit coffee 6 months ago) and ate a bacon-sausage-egg-cheese bagel

lol I'd have a lot more to worry about than just the test if I did what you did :oops:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Update: in my first year at Kellogg and IT IS AWESOME. Will be interning with Bain & Co. this summer in Chicago!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37568 posts