Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 00:51 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 00:51
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [22]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 629463 [8]
Given Kudos: 82146
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 629463 [8]
Given Kudos: 82146
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: A retailer sells only radios and clocks. If she currently has 44 total [#permalink]
Hi Bunuel,
Please correct me if I am wrong.
As per my understanding, the second statement equation becomes C<2R
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1183 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: A retailer sells only radios and clocks. If she currently has 44 total [#permalink]
1. r>28 - not sufficient.
2. r<2C - not sufficient.

1+2
r=29 - yes
r=30 - no

r=29
sufficient. C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11706 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi All,

We're told that a retailer sells only radios and clocks and she currently has 44 total items in inventory. We're asked how many of those items are radios. This question can be solved by TESTing VALUES.

1) The retailer has MORE than 28 radios in inventory.

With 44 total items, and MORE than 28 radios, the number of radios could be any integer from 29 to 44, inclusive.
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT

2) The retailer has LESS than TWICE as many radios as clocks in inventory.

Just as in Fact 1, there are a number of different possibilities.
IF....
Radios = 28, Clocks = 16, then the answer to the question is 28
Radios = 27, Clocks = 17, then the answer to the question is 27
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT

Combined, we know...
-The retailer has MORE than 28 radios in inventory.
-The retailer has LESS than TWICE as many radios as clocks in inventory.

Fact 1 gives us a minimum number of radios, while Fact 2 gives us a maximum number of radios....
IF....
Radios = 29, Clocks = 15, then the answer to the question is 29
Radios = 30, Clocks = 14, then the number of radios is MORE than twice the number of clocks, so this option is NOT possible (and neither are any options that include more than 30 radios). Thus, there's only one possible outcome that fits everything we were told: 29 radios and 15 clocks.
Combined, SUFFICIENT

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30442 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
jlgdr wrote:
A retailer sells only radios and clocks. If she currently has 44 total items in inventory, how many of them are radios?

(1) The retailer has more than 28 radios in inventory

(2) The retailer has less than twice as many radios as clocks in inventory.

Given: A retailer sells only radios and clocks, and she currently has 44 total items in inventory.

Target question: How many radios are there in the inventory

Statement 1: The retailer has more than 28 radios in inventory
There are several scenarios that satisfy statement 1. Here are three:
Case a: There are 29 radios and 15 clocks. In this case, the answer to the target question is there are 29 radios
Case b: There are 30 radios and 14 clocks. In this case, the answer to the target question is there are 30 radios
Case c: There are 31 radios and 13 clocks. In this case, the answer to the target question is there are 31 radios
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The retailer has less than twice as many radios as clocks in inventory.
There are several scenarios that satisfy statement 2. Here are three:
Case a: There are 29 radios and 15 clocks. In this case, the answer to the target question is there are 29 radios
Case b: There are 28 radios and 16 clocks. In this case, the answer to the target question is there are 28 radios
Case c: There are 27 radios and 17 clocks. In this case, the answer to the target question is there are 27 radios
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Statement 1 tells us that the number of radios can be 29, 30, 31, 32, . . . . 44
Statement 2 tells us that the number of radios can be 29, 28, 27, 26, . . . . 0
Since BOTH statements are true, the only scenario that satisfies BOTH statements is when there are 29 radios
So, the answer to the target question MUST be there are 29 radios
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer: C

Cheers,
Brent
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 809 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
If you divide 44 by 3 you get, 14 Remainder 2
Consider it like a ratio, if R was equal 2C it would be R = 28, C = 14, but we know from (1) R>28 so let's add 1 from the remainder to each. Now R = 29 and C = 15. This also satisfies (2) that R must be <2C i.e. 29 < 30.
Basically, we can't add the remainder 2 to only R or C since it would break the constraints.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
aniketrathi wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
Please correct me if I am wrong.
As per my understanding, the second statement equation becomes C<2R

No.

Consider this: say we are told that "the retailer has twice as many radios as clocks in inventory", then we would have R=2C (twice as many radios as clocks).

But we are told that "the retailer has less than twice as many radios as clocks in inventory", so it should be R<2C.

Hope it's clear.

Hi!

I thought it was 2R<C.

I somehow always get the wording wrong. Is there a way to avoid this kind of a mistake?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
chetan2u VeritasKarishma :

Less than twice as many radios as clocks... can we use less for countable noun? Shouldn't be fewer?
I know it's not verbal forum.
Please advise.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65727 [2]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ArupSR wrote:

Less than twice as many radios as clocks... can we use less for countable noun? Shouldn't be fewer?
Please advise.

I can have fewer radios because radios are countable but a number can be less than another number.

When we compare numbers, we use less than and greater than.

For example, 6 is less than 9.

"Less than twice as many radios as clocks" means if I have 5 clocks, I have less than 10 radios.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
ArupSR wrote:

Please advise.

I can have fewer radios because radios are countable but a number can be less than another number.

When we compare numbers, we use less than and greater than.

For example, 6 is less than 9.

"Less than twice as many radios as clocks" means if I have 5 clocks, I have less than 10 radios.

Understood. Thanks for the explanation.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 833 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Top Contributor
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93532 posts