Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 18:04 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 18:04
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
ovmaxim wrote:
Thank you very much Paul! Your review helped me to understand where I am.
Actually 630 is the minimum which I am expecting on a GMAT, so 680 is pretty realistic to achieve. It's just a matter of time an effort. But I am really doubting about my ability to break 700, at least at this point. Otherwise I must apply for a next year and I am afraid that even a brilliant GMAT won't compensate 2 years of unemployment. What do you think?
Stanford is my big dream. Do you think my profile with GMAT 680 will look competitive or it's still not enough? Or let's put it this way: does my profile look competitive for Stanford and it's just a matter of GMAT or I am not their fit at all and I want too much?
Also what is your opinion about my fit with UCLA and Haas ?
Paul, could you please suggest me some good schools (still in Top-20-30) where I might have realistic chances? Probably I am trying to climb too high.
Thank you so much! I am anxiously waiting for your reply!
Olga

Olga,

The difference between a 680 and 700 is not significant as far as the schools are concerned. Your current unemployment is a negative, and earning a 750 probably wouldn't help to make it less of a negative. What *will* help is an essay where you show all the high-impact things you've been doing despite your visa situation -- i.e., that your time has been put to very productive use. You should consider Stanford a long shot, as should the vast majority of applicants; it's just a tough school to get into.

Regarding your "fit" at Stanford, Haas, and UCLA, alot of that comes down to your goals (do they match the schools' strengths), your ability to stand out from the crowd along a number of dimensions, and of course your ability to demonstrate the leadership and impact that all schools look for. Assuming you do a good job of minimizing the unemployment negative in your essays you may have a chance at UCLA and Haas. Given your supply chain goals, however, I think you should be focusing on schools like MIT, Michigan State, CMU, and Purdue--ranked #1, 2, 5, and 7 by USNews in supply chain/logistics. You have a good chance at all of them except MIT, where you have a decent/maybe chance.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul,

Thank you so much for your wise advice! I'll definitely follow it.

P.S. CMU=Carnegie Mellon?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
ovmaxim wrote:
Paul,

Thank you so much for your wise advice! I'll definitely follow it.

P.S. CMU=Carnegie Mellon?

Ovmaxim,

Yes, CMU = Carnegie Mellon.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]