Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 01:24 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 01:24
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3085 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
What if you leave before the date you said you were going to leave, and your boss gets mad and tries to screw you?

He could say that he didn't write the rec letter and I was the one who wrote it or that I didn't do what I claimed to do in the essays.

Overly paranoid... your boss would have to get the right phone number, and make it past the front desk clerk, who its not easy to get past...
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
What if you leave before the date you said you were going to leave, and your boss gets mad and tries to screw you?

He could say that he didn't write the rec letter and I was the one who wrote it or that I didn't do what I claimed to do in the essays.

Overly paranoid... your boss would have to get the right phone number, and make it past the front desk clerk, who its not easy to get past...

No, I mean specifically when Kroll or the adcomm come calling the recommenders. Do they just verify that the recommender is actually John Adams at So and So with the title of Manager?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

No, I mean specifically when Kroll or the adcomm come calling the recommenders. Do they just verify that the recommender is actually John Adams at So and So with the title of Manager?

I'm not sure.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

I'm not sure.

I was just browsing online and found out that an employer can fire you even after you give your 2 week notice.

I'm from a state that has "employment at will".

I was thinking about giving a 2 month notice, but realized that I could be a security threat and the company would fire me. And of course, if any future employers call, the company could say that they fired me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

I'm not sure.

I was just browsing online and found out that an employer can fire you even after you give your 2 week notice.

I'm from a state that has "employment at will".

I was thinking about giving a 2 month notice, but realized that I could be a security threat and the company would fire me. And of course, if any future employers call, the company could say that they fired me.

You charactersize yourself as a security threat? Legally actually, during a background check, all your company is allowed to disclose is dates of employment, title, and in some cases, whether or not you are eligible for rehire. In most states they cant even disclose salary.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
You charactersize yourself as a security threat? Legally actually, during a background check, all your company is allowed to disclose is dates of employment, title, and in some cases, whether or not you are eligible for rehire. In most states they cant even disclose salary.

LOL. I'm no security threat. I'm just using a term a company would throw out there for the reason to let me go so early.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I haven't a clue of how US labor Law works. Here in Argentina they can fire you for "not liking your face" as long as they pay you the severance package. But most companies won't because labor litigation is easy to enroll into and it could be expensive (trial costs and the chance of an unfavourable outcome). So most companies, even when firing you, ask you politely to resign in writing and pay your severance package regardless of this.

So, on the record, almost everyone quits and noone is fired.

Cheers. L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
I haven't a clue of how US labor Law works. Here in Argentina they can fire you for "not liking your face" as long as they pay you the severance package. But most companies won't because labor litigation is easy to enroll into and it could be expensive (trial costs and the chance of an unfavourable outcome). So most companies, even when firing you, ask you politely to resign in writing and pay your severance package regardless of this.

Cheers. L.

Employment in the US is at will. They can fire you because they dont like your clothes.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
lepium wrote:

Cheers. L.

Employment in the US is at will. They can fire you because they dont like your clothes.

Actually, they can fire you for no reason at all; but if they fire you because they don't like your clothes, you can find a way to sue. That's discrimination.

I actually have a funny story about this - I'm not sure if it is urban legend but I believe it is true. Hooters (and other similar companies) utilize talent agencies to make sure that their employees have suitable hooters. They can't discriminate in hiring but they can get around it by calling their employees performers and using a talent agency to screen potential employees.

The Rio (and other Vegas hotels) have used this tactic to bust unions. A few years ago, there was a rumor that their waitresses were attempting to organize, so they fired all of them and used a talent agency to re-staff. Take Caesar's Palace as a contrast, where the employees unionized a long time ago and all the waitresses are senior citizens.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
IF I get admitted, I'll quit in May / June, hop on my bike (an old KLR) and when admit weekend hits I'll just drop the bike wherever it is and catch a plane. If I leave home early enough and maintain a reasonable rhythm I should be able to reach Central America by then.

I really hope this is what you actually plan on doing :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
lepium wrote:
IF I get admitted, I'll quit in May / June, hop on my bike (an old KLR) and when admit weekend hits I'll just drop the bike wherever it is and catch a plane. If I leave home early enough and maintain a reasonable rhythm I should be able to reach Central America by then.

I am planning on doing so. I have travelled by bike before (in Africa) and will love to do this. If anyone's up for this kind of trip, let me know and we'll travel together.

Cheers. L.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am looking for some adventure over the summer...we should get in touch once you have an admit and done with the apps process.

lepium wrote:
rhyme wrote:
lepium wrote:

I am planning on doing so. I have travelled by bike before (in Africa) and will love to do this. If anyone's up for this kind of trip, let me know and we'll travel together.

Cheers. L.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2