Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 05:05 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 05:05
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

What should rhyme do?

You may select 1 option
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3085 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
Did you ever take any intro accounting or statistics classes in undergrad? What was your major?

Stats I know. Accounting I do not.

Quote:
I think it sounds like a good idea if you can take one of the courses in the summer and have some extra free time during the first term. However, are you sure they won't make you take something else in its place (to fill the schedule)?

No they wont. You need to take X classes to graduate, and they dont care how many classes per quarter you take.

Quote:
Personally, there is no way I would give up my awesome pre-mba summer to sit in a weekly class! Good luck Rhyme!

What do you have planned?

Quote:
I hope this doesn't screw up our plans to meet up in the bahamas?

Of course not.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
(I should also mention that I have tons of free time at work. For the last several months no one has had anything to do. Now things have picked up a bit and I figure I might have 2-3 hours of work a week.)

So many of you said no to taking the course.

Frankly I'm surprised... can those of you that voted no explain your reasoning?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I want to meet in bahamas too!

back to your question rhyme... I would proabbly take 1 class. I mean if it is a weekly class you can still do one weak trips whenever you want. And unless your friends are also going to grad school and having summers off, then they probably can't take off much more anyway and you will not miss a whole lot.

On the other hand, it would suck if you were already planning a really long trip elsewhere - were you? In that case I would proabbly go for an awesome trip - on your deathbed, you will more likely think of that awesome summer of '07 you spent in country X than the kick-a$$ accounting class you took!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
:)

EconGirl wrote:
on your deathbed, you will more likely think of that awesome summer of '07 you spent in country X than the kick-a$$ accounting class you took!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
EconGirl wrote:
I want to meet in bahamas too!

back to your question rhyme... I would proabbly take 1 class. I mean if it is a weekly class you can still do one weak trips whenever you want. And unless your friends are also going to grad school and having summers off, then they probably can't take off much more anyway and you will not miss a whole lot.

On the other hand, it would suck if you were already planning a really long trip elsewhere - were you? In that case I would proabbly go for an awesome trip - on your deathbed, you will more likely think of that awesome summer of '07 you spent in country X than the kick-a$$ accounting class you took!

The bahamas house is almost done. I'll have pictures up later tonight.

I'm also leaning towards taking it. I can still do one week trips, and if I really want to do something longer, I can always go to a makeup class.
I already have two big trips planned for the summer and I dont think I can afford a third or fourth - at least nothing more fancy than a few days in the bahamas or a few days visiting family.

This is my summer schedule so far:

April: Miami 4 days
May: Fiji 10 days
June: nothing, but probably down to the bahamas for 3-4 days
July: nothing and itll stay that way given $$$
August: Galapagos 7 days

It's not the "I went to Brazil for 3 months" trip some people do, and I wish I could do that, but the reality of it is, I can't afford to anyway. With two major trips planned already - and at least 1 more small one (miami), I'll be spending my hard earned money as it is.

I'm thinking I'll just do one class...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Go ahead and take ACC then. You will most likely hate it as much as I did :lol: I just know that if you "test out" of basic courses, you will have to replace them with some equivalent credit (usually adv course)

rhyme wrote:
The bahamas house is almost done. I'll have pictures up later tonight.
This is my summer schedule so far:

In terms of summer plans, it's loosely like this:
April: Jury Duty (WTF??), Johnson weekend 13th - 15th
May: quit work early or mid month, chillax
June: Open (chillax, workout, read, meet Rhyme in Bahamas)
July: spend most of this month in Hong Kong, China, maybe a week in thailand
August: get all packed up and move to Ithaca

School starts pretty early for me - orientation starts on the 6th-19th, classes start 21st. I'll spend 1 month in HK to re-establish my "citizenship" and lookup family/friends for networking. I'm really hoping to find an IB job there for intern/post grad.

Other than that, I will use to rest of my time to study a bit and get mentally prepared for my new life ahead.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Today I chill. That is possibly partly due to the sunny yet baltic weather conditions in this d@mn city.

Who would have though Illinois would remind me of Scotland?

Originally posted by 3underscore on 20 Mar 2007, 13:44.
Last edited by 3underscore on 20 Mar 2007, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
Go ahead and take ACC then. You will most likely hate it as much as I did :lol: I just know that if you "test out" of basic courses, you will have to replace them with some equivalent credit (usually adv course)

Not quite... this fulfills a specific requirement - I'm not just placing out of something, I'm actually taking the course.

https://programs.chicagogsb.edu/curricul ... ments.html

I have to take one from each row, so I figure knock out Financial Accounting 30000.

Quote:
June: Open (chillax, workout, read, meet Rhyme in Bahamas)

woot
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh, and Rhyme. I would take the Stats class over the accountancy class.

Same way I would choose anything over accountancy (including physical violence unto me)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
3underscore wrote:
Oh, and Rhyme. I would take the Stats class over the accountancy class.

Same way I would choose anything over accountancy (including physical violence unto me)

I think I'll manage fine in stats... its accounting that scares me. hence why i want to get it out of the way right from the get go.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wouldn't bother w/ any classes if you think you can discipline yourself to just learn it on your own w/ an "Accounting For Dummies" type of book. I think accounting sounds like a much more intimidating subject than it actually is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
you asked for explanations from those who voted no...

i'm not going to be travelling almost at all this summer but i still wouldn't take the class. mostly because i wouldn't want to "ease" back in to school. i want to enjoy my summer just hanging out and not worrying about gmat or apps or classes or anything. just relaxing. but that's just me 8-)

i'm confused about your logic for not taking stats now. if accounting is the one you're worried about, wouldn't you want to take that with the rest of your class for the support?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
bulishona wrote:
you asked for explanations from those who voted no...

i'm not going to be travelling almost at all this summer but i still wouldn't take the class. mostly because i wouldn't want to "ease" back in to school. i want to enjoy my summer just hanging out and not worrying about gmat or apps or classes or anything. just relaxing. but that's just me 8-)

i'm confused about your logic for not taking stats now. if accounting is the one you're worried about, wouldn't you want to take that with the rest of your class for the support?

Well, first off - just to make sure it's clear: Accounting is a required course at the GSB. I have to take it at some point. I don't really have a choice between Accounting and Stats - at some point, I have to take them both.

Of course, there are two trains of thought here - option A) you take something you think will be (relatively) easy over the summer to ensure you don't get too bogged down. This would be stats.

Option B) You take something you think will be hard for you so that you get it out of the way at a point when, arguably, you have plenty of time to make sure you pass. At the very least, it'll be easier on you than when you have to handle 3 other classes and a recruiting schedule on top. This would, of course be Accounting.

As for support, I'll have support - it'll just a study group of PT folk instead of FT folk.

I spose you could make an argument for A - say economics (though im not sure the GSB's version of econ would be easy) or stats - but part of hte point of taking something that I thought would be harder was to make sure I wouldn't have to cope with that class during recruiting. Seems like the value of B > value of A.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Accounting class, and a summer full of joy... It's a pickle.

I don't know, for me, accounting is the single most undesirable thing to study, even if it's crucial.

I think throughout your MBA, you will learn accounting as well. Why start early? A good summer will make you better prepared and relaxed for the first season. That's my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Have you looked into who is teaching these classes over the summer? Does Chicago offer prof. reviews or anything like that?

Keep in mind, too, that fewer PTs start in the summer, and we don't like taking summer classes any more than you do! That may impact the size of the class/availability of study group members. Still, Accounting really isn't that hard. Boring and tedious, perhaps, but it's not difficult math-wise. If it looks like the prof for the class is good, and you want to get it out of the way, I'd go for it.
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
you live in the midwest, rhyme. i understand your Mediterranean proclivities, but you must understand that an entire of summer of goofing around will only harm you. that much pleasure is more than you should have. there should be suffering, and there must always be work to do. you must do the work. if you are goofing around, you should be filled with guilt.

perhaps the big city has diluted the chin-up, get-it-done, no-complaining attitude that is the bedrock of the midwestern landscape, but you must understand that being miserable is for your own good.

isn't it fun to have grown up in the rural midwest? is anyone with me on that?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:

Thats awesome ..Chill as much as you can...who cares about some goddamn course work..one can always pull it off in the school with the team mates....

How about adding "Bangkok" to your holiday list ?? :P :P :P
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2