Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 22:45 It is currently 22 May 2024, 22:45
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 309 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
Re: Some official Web sites of regionally accredited colleges [#permalink]
NCPrasad , you are right. explain please. I answered same as Shoonya. It's from Peterson's.
Current Student
Send PM
We need to prove that all web sites administered by individuals with advanced degrees(Adv) received the highest possible rating (H).

i.e, All Advs are H

From the argument some of the regional web sites received the highest rating while all national web sites received the highest rating.

Some R are H -> 1
All N are H -> 2

Combine 1 and 2, we get
H = All N + some R

In order to prove that all Advs are H, we need to prove that all Advs fall under the union of N and some R.

Lets say R consists of R1, R2, R3 and R4 and further assume that R1 and R2 received the highest rating while R3 and R4 did not.

Thus H = All N + R1 + R2.

Now, its obvious that if an individual with an advanced degree was involved with a regional web site, he could have been involved with either R3, R4. Thus, it will be illogical to conclude with certainty that all web sites developed by him/her received the highest rating.

By showing that All Advs are N and no Advs are R, we eliminat the uncetainty and can thus establish that All Advs are H.

a. Only official Web sites of nationally accredited colleges are administered by individuals holding advanced degrees in educational technology.

A does just that.

Now, lets look at B and D. They say that All N are Advs, but do not prove that all Advs are N. Meaning Adv could be R3 or R4 and thus not receive the highest rating.

I haven't written a detailed CR explanation in a while. So bear with me if this is clear as mud.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:
We need to prove that all web sites administered by individuals with advanced degrees(Adv) received the highest possible rating (H).

i.e, All Advs are H

From the argument some of the regional web sites received the highest rating while all national web sites received the highest rating.

Some R are H -> 1
All N are H -> 2

Combine 1 and 2, we get
H = All N + some R

In order to prove that all Advs are H, we need to prove that all Advs fall under the union of N and some R.

Lets say R consists of R1, R2, R3 and R4 and further assume that R1 and R2 received the highest rating while R3 and R4 did not.

Thus H = All N + R1 + R2.

Now, its obvious that if an individual with an advanced degree was involved with a regional web site, he could have been involved with either R3, R4. Thus, it will be illogical to conclude with certainty that all web sites developed by him/her received the highest rating.

By showing that All Advs are N and no Advs are R, we eliminat the uncetainty and can thus establish that All Advs are H.

a. Only official Web sites of nationally accredited colleges are administered by individuals holding advanced degrees in educational technology.

A does just that.

Now, lets look at B and D. They say that All N are Advs, but do not prove that all Advs are N. Meaning Adv could be R3 or R4 and thus not receive the highest rating.

I haven't written a detailed CR explanation in a while. So bear with me if this is clear as mud.

can you explain, as if you are explaing to a layman, the difference between A and B?

b. All official Web sites of nationally accredited colleges are administered by individuals holding advanced degrees in educational technology.

To me, they both mean the same.

A says that although the nationally accredited colleges have many websites (official and unofficial both), only the official websites are administered by highly educated guys.

whereas

B says that all official websites of nationally accredited colleges are administered by highly educated individuals. So, where is the difference?
Current Student
Send PM
Quote:
A says that although the nationally accredited colleges have many websites (official and unofficial both), only the official websites are administered by highly educated guys.

Your interpretation of A is incorrect. The 'only' in A indicates that 'only national websites were administered' meaning the regional websites were not administered.

A doesn't mean that only official websites were adminstered and that there are other unofficial websites.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:
Quote:

Your interpretation of A is incorrect. The 'only' in A indicates that 'only national websites were administered' meaning the regional websites were not administered.

A doesn't mean that only official websites were adminstered and that there are other unofficial websites.

prasad, following is the question stub:

Some official Web sites of regionally accredited colleges have received the highest possible rating from the Federal Department of Education. However, all official Web sites of nationally accredited colleges have received the highest possible rating from the same department.

so, the stub is talking abt the official websites of regionally accredited colleges and nationally accredited colleges.

Now, what do you mean by regional website in the above explanation? there is nothing like this mentioned in the stub. It's either the official website of nationally accredited colleges or the official website of regionally accredited colleges.

I still believe that A,B/D give us the same information.

any comments?
Current Student
Send PM
shoonya,

For the sake of brevity and because I am bleary eyed at 1 am in the morning, I wrote regional web sites instead of typing 'websites of regionally accredited colleges'. Does this help you?

Yawn... :sleeping:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Send PM
shoonya wrote:
ncprasad wrote:
Quote:

prasad, following is the question stub:

Some official Web sites of regionally accredited colleges have received the highest possible rating from the Federal Department of Education. However, all official Web sites of nationally accredited colleges have received the highest possible rating from the same department.

so, the stub is talking abt the official websites of regionally accredited colleges and nationally accredited colleges.

Now, what do you mean by regional website in the above explanation? there is nothing like this mentioned in the stub. It's either the official website of nationally accredited colleges or the official website of regionally accredited colleges.

I still believe that A,B/D give us the same information.

any comments?

Hey Shoonya,

What Prasad has explained is making sense to me.
There is a subtle difference between A and B. (D is same as B, SC source to be blamed)

Well, we need to prove that ALL websites administered by individuals holding advanced degrees in educational technology have received the highest possible rating.

Let us assume that individuals holding advanced degrees in educational technology have also administered SOME official Web sites of regionally accredited colleges which have not been rated highest.
So in this case we can not say that ALL websites administered by individuals holding advanced degrees in educational technology have received the highest possible rating.

If individuals holding advanced degrees in educational technology have administered ONLY official Web sites of nationally accredited colleges then we CAN say that ALL websites administered by ndividuals holding advanced degrees in educational technology have received the highest possible rating because ALL official Web sites of nationally accredited colleges have received the highest possible rating from the same department.

I hope it helps you.

Good explaination Prasad.

- Brajesh
Manager
Manager
Send PM

Which of the following, if added to the statements above, would provide most support for the conclusion that all Web sites administered by individuals holding advanced degrees in educational technology have received the highest possible rating from the Federal Department of Education?

b. All official Web sites of nationally accredited colleges are administered by individuals holding advanced degrees in educational technology.

c. Only Web sites that have not received the highest possible rating from the Federal Department of Education are administered by individuals not holding advanced degrees in educational technology.

d. All official Web sites of nationally accredited colleges are administered by individuals holding advanced degrees in educational technology.

e. No Web site administered by individuals holding advanced degrees in educational technology is an official Web site of a regionally accredited college.

ncprasad wrote:
shoonya,

For the sake of brevity and because I am bleary eyed at 1 am in the morning, I wrote regional web sites instead of typing 'websites of regionally accredited colleges'. Does this help you?

Yawn... :sleeping:

Prasad, in that case, there is no difference between A and B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Send PM
Shoonya,

Please see if my explanation can help you.
I do endorse Prasad's views.

-Brajesh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
agree w/ the expl. & would like to point that there is a whole world of difference b/w only and all. (eg i only date guys/gals from X college v/s i date ALL of them, which doesnt even exclude colleges a, b &c)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Send PM
* ALL official Web sites of ntionally accredited colleges have received ratings.

* SOME official Web sites of regionally accredited colleges have received ratings.

* ALL Web sites administered by individuals holding advanced degrees in educational technology have received the ratings.

B satisfies the conditions

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts