Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 00:52 It is currently 23 May 2024, 00:52
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Re: application time [#permalink]
Hyperstorm wrote:
Hello bschool applicants...

I am currently focusing on the GMAT, and have only gone as far as filling out my name on the online forms for the bschools which I plan to target (top-20, standard issue...). Since it is already October and I have not yet taken the GMAT (I plan to by the end of the month), I'm concerned whether I'll have enough time to put together my applications for the January deadline. I plan to apply to some 8 schools in all.

For those of you that have already applied for first decision round...

1. How long did each application take you?
2. How much overlap did you see between the essays, etc?
3. What was the most time consuming part of the application process?
4. What tips would you recommend for planning the application process given I'm starting end of October and would like to get everything in time for Jan 1-5 that is typical for R2.

Thanks!!

I took the GMAT mid September, applied to 2 schools in R1 (end October) and then spent November and December on 4-5 R2 apps of which I only finished and submitted 3 (because I run out of time and energy).

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Hyperstorm wrote:
Hello bschool applicants...
4. What tips would you recommend for planning the application process given I'm starting end of October and would like to get everything in time for Jan 1-5 that is typical for R2.

Thanks!!

mNeo is right, everyone is different here, so here are my answers:

1. Hard to tell, since I flip flop between researching schools, talking to alum/students, filling out the app form, working on recommender packages, and the essays. I would probably say if I worked on one school at a time, it's roughly 3 weeks for each school, with 2-4 hours on weeknights, and 8-12 hours over the weekend.

2. For my schools, I found there to be quite a bit of overlap. UCLA only required me to write one new essay, the other three were up to 75% re-use from Haas. Haas had 7 essays, and that took me 2-3 weeks to write. Stanford took me the past 2 weeks of at least 4 hours a day non-stop to get to its final state. Kellogg will require me to write one brand new essay, and 4 essays that I can probably reuse 50%.

3. Essays, school/student/alum research, recommendation packages, digging through all your past history figuring out what you've done (and still remembering random things as of last week!)

4. work on it every single day if you can. I've had many Saturdays in a row where my friends had weddings or birthdays (darn friends!) so that set me back a little. If it helps, I took my GMAT early August, spent 3 weeks in August to get my Haas essays done. Spent 2 weeks in September working on recommendation packages and my work/extracurricular history, 1 week on UCLA essays, and 2 weeks on Stanford. I'm submitting end of October.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Hyperstorm wrote:

The final decision to move on with MBA was taken in May, so I spent June, July and first days of August to prepare for GMAT and TOEFL.
Then, I spen almost two weeks researching schools, downloading Clearadmit guides, BW Insider comparisons, school information and researching all of them, all along with settling my long-term goal. For schools made several nice tables comparing rates for employment in consulting and academics across the schools of my interest. As the result I was armed with the schedule of which applications when to write. From the end of August I started preparing applications.
1. Application for Kellogg took me about 3 weeks to write essays, a week in total to fill in the application form and to make the translation of transcript along with its approval at the university. Also, this time was spent for getting from university a copy of my grades with the split by each term. My recommendations for Kellogg will take another week and I'm going to fill in the second part and submit it.
At the same time, essays for Tuck took me about two weeks, recommendations were written in a week by recommenders as I asked them to pay attention to the upcoming deadline.
Resume/CV took me about a week to write it in a good form and bring in ACR approach :)
I estimate that by this weekend I finish the application for Tuck, then, in a week - for Kellogg and then have another couple of weeks for Michigan. This should be a bit easier, as I have a friend from there and after Tuck's essays I feel that all my examples are chewed and I have the finals to be used in essays.
2. Earlier I thought that essays are quite similar as every school asks for the same things. But process of writing essays for Tuck pushed me for another approach - I rewrote completely my essays, using as a supporting element my findings in Kellogg essays and personal organizer (thanks Montauk for this great form with questions) due to difference in accents at each school.
3. Most of time in every application I worked with essays, making drafts, rewriting, rethinking, revising.
4. Have to say, that application forms also take a while and paying for them only one day after you are finished with essays is not the best option. I filled in the application forms in the process of writing essays, taking pauses between rewritings. Also, you have to approach your recommenders ASAP to have your recommendations to be written in time.
If you have 5 schools to apply for by the end of October, it will be really hard time... Don't know how the situation is in your industry, in mine time from October to December is when everyone starts pushing every day, customers place lots of orders and it becomes more complex to use fresh brains for writing essays and critically revising them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks! [#permalink]
thanks for the quick reply guys, keep 'em coming!

Anyone specifically applied to Harvard, Stanford, Kellog, Wharton, NYU, Darden, UNC? How long did those take? Anything you found especially time consuming?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Stanford = EVIL...

Even after completing two sets of essays, with reviews from people, Stanford's essays still took 2 full weeks of all the free time I had and I'm still working on them.

Allocate 3-4 weeks for Stanford alone...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Stanford = EVIL...

Even after completing two sets of essays, with reviews from people, Stanford's essays still took 2 full weeks of all the free time I had and I'm still working on them.

Allocate 3-4 weeks for Stanford alone...

What specifically takes so long? Their essays average length, no?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
no, the essay length is too SHORT. I need more space. It's evil because of the questions they ask. Take a look at them and see if you can answer it easily. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
no, the essay length is too SHORT. I need more space. It's evil because of the questions they ask. Take a look at them and see if you can answer it easily. :)

Actually, all the questions seem quite easy at first sight. But when you think on each of them for a day or two, you stuck with some peculiar turn given in question... The more you think, the more hidden levels you find in questions :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
R.E.D. is dead on. And then you write something, and realize it's total crap... I've done more revisions on the Stanford essays than any of my other ones.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think I am on draft 15 of my Kellogg #1, including some very thorough rewrites. I spent 10 hours today on essays. Reworked three in an effort to make sure that if you read all three in a row they work together.

I am sure I could have put together decent essays in a much more reasonable time frame but knowing that they are probably going to be the make or break part of my application.

Honestly give yourself as much time as you can, do not underestimate the importance of the essays. Unless you have an amazing profile they really are going to be the key to your application. So many people have similar stats and careers, it is one sure fire way to set yourself apart.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:

You're right, I gave up on R1 for Stanford because I can't handle the "What matters for me" question in time. I do know what to write but it have just been total craps my attempts so far. Anyway R2 is "almost" the same as R1 and I would rather have a good job done by R2 than a total mess at R1.

Another essays I'm having big trouble is MIT, man, those 4 essays about situations are also PURE EVIL!

However, I'm happy that I'm finished with GSB, everything more than one week before, now I'll have time to fight another battle!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]