Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 09:41 It is currently 19 May 2024, 09:41
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Econ
Schools:Chicago Booth
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Send PM
Re: 680: Q39, V42 - :-( [#permalink]
solaris1 wrote:
A 680 is a pretty decent score, but from what I've heard on this forum, most schools want a 80/80 percentile split on GMAT scores. But take that with a grain of salt. Nobody's corroborated this as being part of an official admissions policy. I know a q39 is a bit below that threshold, but you have to decide really how willing you are to take the GMAT again.

If you've taken a lot of quant in your college days, then that probably mitigates the quant score a little. Or you may simply want to take a couple of math classes from some local college and get A's on them. It's all up to you really.

Well I have a degree from Penn State in Finance, and have worked in corporate finance for 4 years. I don't know why I struggled with it so much, but alas, there it is. I had As in all my finance classes, an A- in Calculus... I know I can do better than this.

What do you think about this logistically - My wife has to basically choose which city we are moving to one month from today. I'm going to have to leave my job at the end of the year and either find something new, or as I had planned, enroll in an MBA program. I really, really want Northwestern, because I really like the school, but it is really hard to say "well if I move to Chicago, the only schools that I would consider are NW and Chicago GSB."

Question is, do I move ahead applying to NW and Chicago with this score (and in my opinion, a strong student profile given my work experience), try again and go to Chicago regardless, or push my wife to go to the D.C area where there are more schools available with this type of score. Hooray for life choices.

Originally posted by Manbehindthecurtain on 29 Jan 2008, 13:23.
Last edited by Manbehindthecurtain on 29 Jan 2008, 21:04, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Ok - and I have to ask you this - do you seriously care which school you go to, or do you just want to apply to the best school in whatever city you end up? Does your wife have a preference as to where she'd rather do her residency?

And btw, I'm just a 'kid' who's not going to b-school for another couple of years, is not married etc. etc. so take my 'advice' with a grain of salt as well :D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Ok - and I have to ask you this - do you seriously care which school you go to, or do you just want to apply to the best school in whatever city you end up? Does your wife have a preference as to where she'd rather do her residency?

And btw, I'm just a 'kid' who's not going to b-school for another couple of years, is not married etc. etc. so take my 'advice' with a grain of salt as well :D

I do care- I really like Northwestern, but its like an all or non proposition right now. I don't feel like I have the luxury of having any "safety" schools if I am limited geographically the way that I am. My wife likes the programs in Boston the most, but I would certainly rather be in Chicago. I think I'm answering my own question.

I guess I am generally disappointed right now because I did not perform to my potential, and I would much rather have felt like "gee I have a real shot at NW with this score, lets go for it!" Instead, things are just as uncertain as they were 6 hours ago.
VP
VP
Well let's see - I think you two are going to have to make a compromise somewhere regardless of where you move.

First of all, you can never realistically predict your chances of admission at any school. So think about that.

If you convince your wife to take up residency in Chicago, then my suggestion would be you to retake the GMAT and apply to Kellogg and Chicago. If you don't get in however, would you be prepared to consider the Part Time programs at these schools?

Otherwise, move to Boston and keep your wife happy. But apply to Kellogg nevertheless *and* come to a consensus with your wife that a move to Boston comes with the possibility that the two of you will be a few hundred miles apart for a year or two. In addition, apply to places like BC or BU (I don't know what else is there in the Boston area) which are less selective but considering you have a pretty good profile, may give you scholarship money.

You don't sound that enthusiastic about DC, and if your wife feels the same you should probably scratch that option entirely and make your decision a little less complex.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Heya ManBehindTheCurtain,

firstly, 680 is not a bad score. Its respectable and decent.

Secondly, most people on this forum, an in general struggle either in Verbal (coming from eng/finance/IT background).

If you look at your verbal score, its more solid than a NFL linebacker.

So, lets analyse this a bit more. You want 700+ rite. I have attached a xls sheet here (that i downloaded from another thread). If you keep your verbal in shape (just a bit of practice here and there), you can increase your quant to 45-47, that 700 is all yours.

And guess what, most people agree that Quant is slightly easier to improve than Verbal, purely based on the fact that its easier to identify weak areas and work on them. An besides, you are in finance and got an A- in calculus dude, so don't sweat so much.

anyways, the above only applies if you are considering retaking the GMAT. Keep us posted, in the mean time, take your wife out for a nice dinner over a late harvest pinot noir, because i am sure like my wife she had to put up with a lot during the study.

don't sweat,

Peace
Attachments

breakdown1.xls [23.5 KiB]
Downloaded 184 times

Manager
Manager
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
First of all, you can never realistically predict your chances of admission at any school. So think about that.

If you convince your wife to take up residency in Chicago, then my suggestion would be you to retake the GMAT and apply to Kellogg and Chicago. If you don't get in however, would you be prepared to consider the Part Time programs at these schools?

You don't sound that enthusiastic about DC, and if your wife feels the same you should probably scratch that option entirely and make your decision a little less complex.

I agree. We both like Chicago, her top pick just would have been Boston. I'm so close to the range I need to be in to be competitive @ NW, that I'd be silly not to go for it and to force either of us to "settle" elsewhere.
So, I'll take another month of studying, and redouble my efforts in quant, and hope for the best.

Need some practical advice though, I am all out of practice material - what do you recommend for nailing down the quant? I'm actually better at the mid to advanced range stuff than some of the basic number props and algebra.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Sorry you aren't overly thrilled with your 680...but many people out there would kill for a score like that on the GMAT. If you honestly think you can improve on that score in a month I would suggest retaking it. If I were in your shoes and opted not to retake the test I would be walking around with that big "what if..." in the back of my mind.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
eschn3am wrote:
Sorry you aren't overly thrilled with your 680...but many people out there would kill for a score like that on the GMAT. If you honestly think you can improve on that score in a month I would suggest retaking it. If I were in your shoes and opted not to retake the test I would be walking around with that big "what if..." in the back of my mind.

I do think I can improve on it, but my weaknesses are in some of the more basic types of questions. For example, my first question was

The question isn't "would someone else kill for my GMAT score of 680" as much as it is "will 680 with my profile get me into Northwestern?"

***Thanks for the heads up RiverRipper, RiverRipper

Originally posted by Manbehindthecurtain on 29 Jan 2008, 21:00.
Last edited by Manbehindthecurtain on 30 Jan 2008, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
if you do choose to retake, a tip on how to quickly and safely answer these types of questions is plugging-in (got it from PR).

1) pick a possibe value for x (in your example, you cant choose 1) and plug it into the stem then solve. store that result somewhere on your work sheet.
2) take that same value for x and plug it into every MC and solve. once you get the same result as the one you got from the stem, you have your answer.

dont break your head with solving these equations using algebra... good luck
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5031 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
buffdaddy wrote:
Heya ManBehindTheCurtain,

firstly, 680 is not a bad score. Its respectable and decent.

Secondly, most people on this forum, an in general struggle either in Verbal (coming from eng/finance/IT background).

If you look at your verbal score, its more solid than a NFL linebacker.

So, lets analyse this a bit more. You want 700+ rite. I have attached a xls sheet here (that i downloaded from another thread). If you keep your verbal in shape (just a bit of practice here and there), you can increase your quant to 45-47, that 700 is all yours.

And guess what, most people agree that Quant is slightly easier to improve than Verbal, purely based on the fact that its easier to identify weak areas and work on them. An besides, you are in finance and got an A- in calculus dude, so don't sweat so much.

anyways, the above only applies if you are considering retaking the GMAT. Keep us posted, in the mean time, take your wife out for a nice dinner over a late harvest pinot noir, because i am sure like my wife she had to put up with a lot during the study.

don't sweat,

Peace

thanks for the grid. very helpful
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37453 posts