Last visit was: 30 May 2024, 20:49 It is currently 30 May 2024, 20:49
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Babson or Boston College? [#permalink]
riverrippper and jbguy - thank you both for your input. Do you think cost should be a factor in the decision between the 2 schools? For example, Babson's 1 year program would only cost about $60k worth of loans ($80k total cost for 1 year less $20k scholarship). Total cost includes housing, tuition, medical, personal exp., etc.

On the other hand, the total cost for BC is about $90k ($60k total/year less $15k scholarship * 2 years) PLUS the opportunity cost of not working during the second year (vs. Babson's 1 year), let's just say I make another $90k right out of grad school. That brings the total cost to $180k.

BC would cost $120,000 more in loans than Babson. Do you think it's really worth paying this much more for going to BC... will it pay off in the long run?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
my question is, if Babson is almost ALWAYS ranked at the top (over Stanford, MIT, Haas, Harvard) with entrepreneurship, why wouldn't it be a no brainer to go there if you want to do entrepreneurship, no matter what industry? Just curious.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, it's ranked #1 for entrepreneurship, but that does not necessarily mean it is the best MBA program for me. If you were interested in international studies, Thunderbird is ranked #1, but would you choose Thunderbird over a much higher ranked and more prestigious school? I know Babson is #1 for Entrepreneurship, but I question the reputation of the school itself when compared to more reputable schools in the region that also offer Entrepreneurial studies.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think specialized rankings for ent are overblown in a lot of ways. I can see the benefit of leaning one way or another based on Marketing, Finance, Management, and Operations. However, I would say you need to compare them against peer schools. Someone wanting ent isnt going to turn down MIT for Babson. Its a good school but thats where a lot of its focus is, it might teach you a lot about ent but in a way I think you are better off going to the better school here. Especially the 2 year program. I know that 1y is cheaper but still think that the 2y is the best way to go.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
you say babson has 72% employment rate upon graduation. I would say that is as good as most elite schools have. On the other hand you say BC has 100% employment upon graduation. That is unheard of!!! Most schools hover around the 70-80% employment rated upon graduation.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
700willdo wrote:
you say babson has 72% employment rate upon graduation. I would say that is as good as most elite schools have. On the other hand you say BC has 100% employment upon graduation. That is unheard of!!! Most schools hover around the 70-80% employment rated upon graduation.

Actually the top schools all have 85%+ some like HBS, Kellogg, Dartmouth have over 90%.

Per the new USNews, BC has 82% at grad and 98% after 3 months. Babson has 70% at grad and 92% 3 months after..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
This is a very subjective oppinion on Babson, and it is all I know about Babson.

I have a friend who dropped out of Babson MBA because the course was very often about how to stretch the ethics to make things work, and people were quite into it.

According to her, it was sort of like:

How do we sell guns in Darfur without getting our reputation stained too much?
Well, if there is a law that prohibits action X, is there a law that also may provide a loophole in order for the prohibition of action X to be somewhat questionable?

Also, according to her, being black herself was a problem at Babson.

If you need more info, PM me, and I will help you contact my friend.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i was actually just going to post the US News numbers too! Well, not all BC students secure a position upon graduation, but the numbers are still much better than Babson's.

I was leaning towards Babson, but you really got me thinking twice about BC now Riverripper...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
interesting. If the specialty rankings mean nothing, especially since it's purely just a poll by peer school deans, then why does Thunderbird stand atop of international business year after year after year (and similarly Babson, even featured in Business week in 2006 for entrepreneurship)? Very puzzled.

Remember, % employment rate is NOT the bets indicator for how good a school is sometimes. On the new US News rankings, there were some schools with high 90's and 100% employment rate after 3 months, ranked way out of the top 20. In this sense, I actually agree (for once) with rankingsgod on that point. :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM