Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 12:53 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 12:53
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Wisconsin vs Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I agree; good luck to you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Wisconsin vs Carnegie Mellon [#permalink]
Hi Paul,

I am in a similar situation where I have an admit from CMU without any aid and an admit from Wisconsin ASAP with aid. I hear that I can make it to tier 2 firms from ASAP. But it would be fairly tough to get into IM from CMU. Seems like some tier1 firms hire at CMU but they do it for MCSF+MBA(people who have IM experience)..

What is the big difference between tier 1, and tier 2 firms. I would guess that after a few years of experience, any candidate could move from tier 2 to tier1 firm. Overall would a degree from ASAP provide me limited opportunity to move up in my career later on vs if I got a degree from CMU?

Thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
chitown2k5,

I think the difference between tier 1 and tier 2 ones is basically one of 'brand,' and that it can be easily overcome by making a name for yourself. Certainly, in the longer term scheme of things no tier 1 firm is going to take a pass on you just because you chose Wisconsin over CMU. So I agree completely with your statement "I would guess that after a few years of experience, any candidate could move from tier 2 to tier1 firm." The difference between a Wisconsin and CMU MBA is only going to be which doors they open for you after B-school. CMU has the stronger overall brand, but Wisconsin's investment management reputation is higher than CMU's in that discipline. In terms of your long-term career advancement potential, I don't think choosing Wisconsin over CMu would hurt you at all.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, that certainly helps. Somehow it seems that the ASAP program is not publicized much.

Accepted.com wrote:
chitown2k5,

I think the difference between tier 1 and tier 2 ones is basically one of 'brand,' and that it can be easily overcome by making a name for yourself. Certainly, in the longer term scheme of things no tier 1 firm is going to take a pass on you just because you chose Wisconsin over CMU. So I agree completely with your statement "I would guess that after a few years of experience, any candidate could move from tier 2 to tier1 firm." The difference between a Wisconsin and CMU MBA is only going to be which doors they open for you after B-school. CMU has the stronger overall brand, but Wisconsin's investment management reputation is higher than CMU's in that discipline. In terms of your long-term career advancement potential, I don't think choosing Wisconsin over CMu would hurt you at all.

Good luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, I agree it's not as well known as it should be.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
what are the placement numbers for the last batch at indiana? anyone has this info?
GMAT Club Bot