Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 10:47 It is currently 20 May 2024, 10:47
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Re: Questions about Goals Essay [#permalink]
sng wrote:
I was planning to write about my work philosophy and inspirations and perhaps some anecdotes that support them, rather than some factual stuff from my work history. I think my philosophy and inspirations are something that will drive me to the future goals. Shouldn't my resume state what I actually did and achieved? What do you think?

By philosophy, do you mean the "why" behind your experiences? As in, tell the adcoms: why you decided to work at place x and how it ties into your overall masterplan for getting to your post-mba goal Y?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
if it's what ac said, then go for it. If by "philsophy" you mean just talking about ideals, dreams and personal traits, then that will be too vague and abstract for the adcoms to evaluate you, because anyone can philosophize about what they want to do or would have done, but only by doing it (your work experience) will you prove to them that you are who you say you are. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
By philosophy, do you mean the "why" behind your experiences? As in, tell the adcoms: why you decided to work at place x and how it ties into your overall masterplan for getting to your post-mba goal Y?

Yes. I am writing the goals essay for Columbia. I am planning to discuss how my work experience motivated me to get MBA, not what I achieve in the past.

kryzak wrote:
then that will be too vague and abstract for the adcoms to evaluate you, because anyone can philosophize about what they want to do or would have done, but only by doing it (your work experience) will you prove to them that you are who you say you are.

Right, being vague is bad in the goals essays. I should have never used the word "philosophy" for this subject. :lol: Thanks for words of caution.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
I actually believe both essays will require the SAME approach. Yes, they are worded differently, but a successful goals essay must include:

- short and long term goals (whether they ask for it or not)
- What key decisions you've made in your work experience that led you to the desire to get an MBA
- Why are you getting an MBA now? Why not 2 years earlier? Why not 2 years later?
- Why School X will be the best for you.

Does "why now" need to be addressed in What are your short-term and long-term post-MBA goals? How will Columbia Business School help you achieve these goals??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
Does "why now" need to be addressed in What are your short-term and long-term post-MBA goals? How will Columbia Business School help you achieve these goals??

If CBS doesn't explicitly ask it, you should still tell a story that will logically bring the readers to that conclusion. You don't need to explicitly spend a paragraph on it, but if your story of how you decided on your goals is told well, then 1-2 sentences stating that you need the MBA now because of reasons X and Y will be good enough.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
I'm also struggling when I think of the "why now?" (implied) question. I expand it into "why not 2 years earlier/later", but still I have to figure what kind of perspectives to bring to the table.

E.g., do one have to give evidence on why s/he's ready now? Is it more future- and goal-related? In most cases there are a lot of purely personal reasons too, how to blend them in without putting oneself at risk of being too self-focused?
GMAT Club Bot