Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 11:35 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 11:35
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: Schiff is the man [#permalink]
His past predictions were about happenings that could have been predicted. Considering his logic of people's minds being corrupted because of drugs (medicines), it seems to me this is the first time he will be wrong.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
What he said at the beginning was pretty scary about the fact that once people see their wealth evaporate they'll stop spending and start saving.

We might be in for a looooooong recession.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
 Q48  V41
Send PM
I just read Crash Proof by Schiff. I thought it was pretty interesting to see so much of what he had been blasted for saying has happened.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 336 [0]
Send PM
Here is another one from Schiff:
"10/28/08 Peter Schiff predicts doomed economy under Obama"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMdF1CiQ ... re=related
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
It's less he's the man than the others are d-bags.

And what's up with Ben Stein acting like he's an expert on everything?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1650 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Schiff is right - the problem is credit is about liquidity AND trust. As long as the world trusts that the US wants to protect its economy, they will continue buying US treasuries,bonds and assets. It doesn't mean everything will be OK, but the world will have to learn to live within their means.

I wish Schiff would communicate a little better - he knows his stuff cold, but the regular person needs to understand where he is coming from.

There was a video - search for "Mortgage Bankers meeting" - everyone laughed at him when he predicted the housing collapse. This guy should be Secretary of the Treasury. Austrian Free Market Economics is not all pure gold, but its time has come.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 644 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Here is something interesting https://fbc.binghamton.edu/commentr.htm

I think that US is in for a very serious problem ahead, with Obama in the office, I am afraid an Obama failure will drastically impact the trust people have in their government, and once trust erodes from the government bascially our federation will break up..much like the way the soviet union did. So yes TRUST is a very slippery road, but once the gene is out of the bottle its pretty much over.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Schiff is THE man!! I'm sure Dr. Doom has made a lot of Haas grads proud ;-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2750 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
How could he predict the housing market ?? How could he see something NO one else could see ??

This man Peter Schiff is AMAZING !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
The others laughing at Peter were completely off base. No matter how good you thought you were and knew your stuff, laughing at the other guy while he is talking is ridiculously rude.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
You guys should go more here: :)

Schiller and as trader said Jim Sinclair also had been calling all this mess for years...

Too much for confidence bias.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
incognito1 wrote:

The Austrian School of Economics principles are very similar to those of The Chicago School, the first just "don't rely" on models.

It's even funny now to see some of the guys laughing at him, but hey, the way this mess is now is not a good thing for us, so I wish he was wrong, though his prediction about FX market hasn't quite been right, yet.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
kwam wrote:
incognito1 wrote:

The Austrian School of Economics principles are very similar to those of The Chicago School, the first just "don't rely" on models.

It's even funny now to see some of the guys laughing at him, but hey, the way this mess is now is not a good thing for us, so I wish he was wrong, though his prediction about FX market hasn't quite been right, yet.

I agree with you kwam. Chicago has produced some of the finest economists, particularly some major free-market proponents (wasn't Milton Friedman an economics professor there)? Peter Schiff is actually a graduate from UC Berkeley (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schiff) though it's not clear whether he got his undergraduate degree there or his MBA at Haas, but either way he is a true proponent of Austrian economics and one has to acknowledge how he stuck to his guns in that interview even when he sorta knew that people don't appreciate a doomsday message.

Not sure if you guys have seen Art Laffer's response on Bill Mahr's show. He definitely didn't have the last laff (pardon the pun) there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WjgKUf-kA

Personally, I'm still waiting for Peter to collect that penny. I don't understand why it's taking so long -- the longer he waits, the less worth that penny becomes.. (sorry, had to be said! :twisted:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
AZCFA wrote:
Well worth the ten minutes. Talk about sticking to your guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0QN-FYkpw

Wow, how could I miss this link before? I bet no one's laughing now. He was right, after all.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
This reminded me of this clip from the Daily Show the week after Jim Cramer emphatically told people not to get out of Bear Stearns. It baffles me that his show is still on the air...

https://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index ... oken-arrow
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
https://www.financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/schiff/2008/1201.html

I especially like this line…

“The brutal truth that no one in Washington dares acknowledge is that our systemic economic problems can only be solved by a reduction in consumer borrowing and an increase in savings. We must repair our national balance sheet and a painful recession is the only path to achieve this. By interfering with the market's attempts to bring this necessary change about, all the proposals currently coming from Washington or bubbling up from think tanks and Nobel prize-winning economists, will only exacerbate the imbalances and lay the foundation for even greater losses and a larger crisis.

A short-run reduction in GDP is a sacrifice we must be willing to accept. If we swallow this medicine now, in the long run we will have a sustainable rise in GDP as higher savings leads to increased capital investment, greater productivity, and eventually a lasting increase in consumption.”

I was thinking last night that if I die of natural causes, I can expect to live another 45-50 years. In which I will probably see at least 5-7 more economic cycles. At the rate the government is spending, we will completely run out of money in 20-30 years. It’s almost comical how short-sighted politicians in government are. However, regardless of who’s in power, I have come to the realization that we’re all screwed.
GMAT Club Bot