Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 00:29 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 00:29
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3086 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Route to Corporate Strategy/Business Development positions [#permalink]
jb32 wrote:
I would agree with Rhyme. I am currently in a Strategic Planning/Corp Dev role and do not have prior MC experience. However, I did do an IB internship in college, which I feel was a major reason I got the job in the first place. (And I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before my interview). :wink:

I think you just need to understand what the necessary skillsets are and then focus on those areas while in school. My advice would be to take lots of finance/strategy classes and understand how to evaluate situations from a CEO perspective. Also, depending on the mix of strategy/corp dev, I would focus on really trying to build some breadth across all areas of business - similar to a strategy consulting concentration, while also obtaining depth in finance/valuation/analysis areas.

You'll probably receive a fair amount of ad hoc projects post-MBA and it really would be helpful to have some understanding of process design, creating business cases, evaluating marketing and sales strength in an acquisition target, etc. Good luck to you!

Great info jb32. What skills do recruiters look for in candidates aside from previous w/e. Are case interviews used and do they require gmat score? I heard that corporate strategy is fun but doesn't lead to c-level jobs. Is that true?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
Thanks Rhyme and JB. I am looking forward to your answer for 334's Q. Happy Holidays.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
334MBA wrote:
Great info jb32. What skills do recruiters look for in candidates aside from previous w/e. Are case interviews used and do they require gmat score? I heard that corporate strategy is fun but doesn't lead to c-level jobs. Is that true?

I would say that you'll need good teamwork and leadership skills as you'll be required to lead line managers and other groups through the acquisition process. Strong quant, accounting, finance, and valuation skills. The ability to write, and write well. Strategy - you'll need to be able to see the end result and develop a process to achieve the results by working backwards, similar to how you've developed long-term goals for business school and then identified the path and steps to get there.

I can't really speak to post-MBA corporate strategy/corp dev jobs, but I know for my position I had to complete a 2-3 page industry overview after my R1 interview and then a R2 interview. The report asked for things like market size, growth drivers, key competitors, etc, of an industry I would be expected to know a lot about in the new role.

I can't imagine that a strategy job wouldn't have the opportunity to make it to the c-level. I think it really depends on how good you are and if you are C-level material. It really becomes such an imperfect and subjective science when a company is looking for a new CEO, CFO, or COO that many people would be considered.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '14
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM