Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 13:37 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 13:37
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: How do you pay for non-direct costs with loans? [#permalink]
solaris1 wrote:
Your lender will usually send semesterly or quarterly payments directly to the school bursar, and then you will typically need to request a refund from the bursar. With the money you get refunded to you, you can take care of books, living expenses et cetera.

Thanks Solaris!

I think the refund thing is how Tuck does it. It mentions that any "excess" money will be refunded by check after all your direct costs are paid.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
In any case, it's not a bad idea to keep a few hundred dollars in reserve just in case you need to spend something before your refund checks or ACH push arrives. On a related note, a lot of schools will provide small (interest free) loans for a short period too to help students get by if they're suddenly in need of a bit of money and the student loan refunds haven't hit their accounts yet.

What's an ACH?
Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kellogg automatically transfers the remainder each quarter on the first day of classes. So you will get whatever is left direct deposited into your checking. I dont know about loans, I think in this day everyone just uses credit cards...and that buys you a month of interest free to pay it off basically.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
At Duke, as at most schools, I imagine, your living expenses/books/etc. are all a part of that COA amount you borrow from your lender. Your lender doesn't send you any money - they send it all to the school bursar's office, who turns around and issues you a "refund" for that amount minus tuition. I'm sure that most schools will want to do it by direct deposit into your bank account (that's what an ACH transfer is).

It probably depends on your bursar's office, but unless you have some sort of odd delay from your lender, you should get your refund within a few weeks of school starting. At Duke, they say it's the first week of classes in early August. I've heard from folks who got their refunds a few days before and after.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
isa wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
In any case, it's not a bad idea to keep a few hundred dollars in reserve just in case you need to spend something before your refund checks or ACH push arrives. On a related note, a lot of schools will provide small (interest free) loans for a short period too to help students get by if they're suddenly in need of a bit of money and the student loan refunds haven't hit their accounts yet.

What's an ACH?
Thanks!

It's an Automated Clearinghouse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_Clearing_House

Isa, I believe Kellogg does it differently and direct deposits a check for your entire loan amount on the first day of each quarter (I think Sept. 1?). Then you are required to pay all your bills, tuition, rent, etc. from that money. Basically nothing is automatically deducted.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
isa wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

What's an ACH?
Thanks!

It's an Automated Clearinghouse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_Clearing_House

Isa, I believe Kellogg does it differently and direct deposits a check for your entire loan amount on the first day of each quarter (I think Sept. 1?). Then you are required to pay all your bills, tuition, rent, etc. from that money. Basically nothing is automatically deducted.

Not true...All tuition and fees for the school comes out. You don't have to write any checks to the school if you are taking loans. Basically, you will get whatever is left each semester after that distributed via direct deposit. It is extremely easy and you will get your money first day of classes basically. Financial aid folks are dfinitely a lot better than admissions.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks for the insight!
Current Student
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
isa wrote:
What's an ACH?
Thanks!

It's an Automated Clearinghouse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_Clearing_House.

thanks!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Not true...All tuition and fees for the school comes out. You don't have to write any checks to the school if you are taking loans. Basically, you will get whatever is left each semester after that distributed via direct deposit. It is extremely easy and you will get your money first day of classes basically. Financial aid folks are dfinitely a lot better than admissions.

Thanks for the clarification!
GMAT Club Bot