Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 14:00 It is currently 23 May 2024, 14:00
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS, UCLA, DUKE, UNC, USC, TEXAS
 Q43  V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS, UCLA, DUKE, UNC, USC, TEXAS
 Q43  V40
Send PM
Re: How's everyone's internship hunt going? [#permalink]
Paradosso wrote:
Stockmoose,

I work at a consultancy and I can't imagine someone with a mediawriting background in this industry. Maybe I am wrong. For my thoughts on consulting, see my thread in the career forum.

Btw, where did you end up?

Paradosso,

Are you already done with your MBA? What is it that you think I wouldn't like about MC? It seems really interesting/exciting. Lots of change, great pay, benefits, get to see the world. Sounds fun.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Stockmoose16 wrote:
kryzak wrote:
personally, I could never do consulting. While problem solving at a high level is fun, the amount of traveling and minutia (for power points) that many consultants do just does not appeal to me. But that's just me. :P

I guess it's to each his own. I could get to school and find that something else floats my boat, who knows. I was originally interested in entrepreneurship, until I found out I needed a $135,000 loan to attend school. No way I'd be able to start a business with that kind of debt.

Yeah, similar process here. Probably will work a few years in the gaming industry to "learn the ropes" before trying a startup. Need to pay off loans first. :(

Almost similar process, fortunately, no loan needed for me, but do need some initial capital investment to launch the business in China due to start-up regulations. Haven't started looking for internships yet, but a couple of positions have just turned up which sound interesting if I can't find that initial capital... still looking and talking with a few investor leads.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
INteresting, just checked our job board and about 15 internship positions posted in the past 3 days!! Lot's of late recruiting action.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [5]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Well we are about a month from the end of school. I would say about 75-80% of people here have their summers figured out or an offer on the table...my friends range from getting their top choice dream job to settling on something that will look good on a resume but isnt really something they are all that interested in. I think a few people I know accepted things pretty early since it was looking pretty rough at the start. Companies were dragging their feet with offers, instead of a few weeks turnaround some companies were well over a month or would just interview people to death. One friend stands out in my mind for doing interviews with a tech company everyday for weeks on end basically before they finally gave him an offer...it was like every person he will ever meet had to interview and vote on him.

Banking of course was rough, I have friends who did land at their top choice and some who had multiple offers. Career switchers had a tougher time but I know people who were succesful doing it. I think a lot of folks bailed before they even started recruiting so the people who stuck it out did pretty well over all. Consulting was down in most places, 2 of the big 3 were very strong (on the high side of historical numbers) but most of the other companies hired fewer interns. Considering that many 2nd years going into MC fulltime are having start dates pushed back its not surprising. I would not be surprised to see consulting recruiting to be just as bad if not worse next year...it seems there is a longer lag in consulting. There are also companies in a variety of industries that hired very few interns nationally so that impacted hiring here.

Not all was bad...Health Care recruiting was very strong. Offers were the same if not better at many companies. I think HC was what saved the day for lots of people. They accepted career changers since more positions came through than people with experience. Marketing overall was pretty strong, not surprising since its probably where Kellogg's brand is the strongest. Companies that cut back on hiring drastically overall still seemed to turn out strong at Kellogg...some definitely pushed hard since they could attract more students than in great years. Energy was strong but its still a small area...overall I think this will be one of the stronger years with energy recruiting, some of the companies actually were expanding their recruiting here into new positions within the companies and some of companies outside the traditional energy firms hired interns for energy projects. A few of the Tech companies hired a lot but these are the ones that were usually very popular here like Apple, Microsoft, Dell.

Kellogg's entrepreneurship program was very popular this year, this is where the school pays half your salary (I think its 1k a week) to work for start ups...start-ups have to apply and are choosen by the school to be a part of the program. There are more startups to choose from than positions available. Student applications were like 3x the number of spots available...one of my good friends is doing this and I think he said there are 6 people doing it this summer. Great place to get some awesome entrepreneurship experience, with some structure and overview from the school.

Some other interesting insights...Kellogg actually managed to attract new companies to recruit here and some of these took multiple people. I know someone going to a new company and they took 4 people their first time showing up. I dont think the new companies were enough to replace the ones that pulled out. The career services people really went after tons of companies to try to bring students more opportunities and I think it paid off for some people. I have friends going to companies that have never hired here before but have very strong MBA internship programs and that hired from other schools historically. However, I dont know if these companies expanded their internship programs or shifted hiring around.

Another thing I noticed is that it seemed like a lot of the JD/MBA kids accepted law offers for the summer since they got those very early in the fall (like september) so some definitely went that route since it was a sure thing at that point rather than turning it down and running the risk of not getting something else. Non-profits and start-ups I think will end up doing well this year, people are much more willing to work for the experience rather than the salary this year than in the past.

Yes there still is a sizeable number of students looking but the people I know still on the hunt actually are still making progress. They are still interviewing, talking to new companies, and waiting to hear back after recent interviews. I guess ending the year late has its advantages at times like these since it gives you a few more weeks of hunting before you start compared to other schools. The career services people still are working hard for students, I was talking with some influential alums last week during a networking event and the school is actively seeking summer opportunities with these alums. Going as far as to tell them, pay what you can but if you cant pay them but have meaningful work put it out there since there will be interest from some students. Yes not getting paid is tough but if it comes down to spending your summer on a couch or doing somethign that would look great on your resume and give you a great experience.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
ripper. kudos.

I wonder how the picture will look a year from now at Kellogg. When do you start looking for internships ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ashaker wrote:
ripper. kudos.

I wonder how the picture will look a year from now at Kellogg. When do you start looking for internships ?

Start looking/networking in mid October. Resume Drops end of December...interviews start January.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
ashaker wrote:
ripper. kudos.

Start looking/networking in mid October. Resume Drops end of December...interviews start January.

I agree with this at most schools. The earlier, the better.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
at semester schools, resume drop in January (during winter break) and first interviews (banks and consulting) in late Jan and tech companies in Feb.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
Thanks so much for this.

I hear so much in the news about IB jobs etc. and it is nice to hear an inside perspective.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6