Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 03:57 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 03:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73478 [2]
Given Kudos: 19056
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Re: Gmat Study Plan [#permalink]
Thank You for your replies and tips,

I have lined up the following books for my reading:

The bastard of Istanbul
Water for Elephants
Three Cups of Tea
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73478 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
WMW wrote:
Thank You for your replies and tips,

I have lined up the following books for my reading:

The bastard of Istanbul
Water for Elephants
Three Cups of Tea

Great! I have not read any of them, so look forward to your feedback.
Once i hear your thoughts, i will add them to the list of my GMAT Fiction recommendations
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Out of curiosity, how much time should one devote to each topic? Should you split it up evenly between Verbal and Math? What if I am much better at Math than Verbal? Would I be shooting myself in the foot to spend, say, 5 weeks on Verbal and only 3 weeks on Math? I'm just curious because I haven't started the studying yet and I've seen the books. The MGMAT books look pretty thick and to go through all of them in just 2 months seems like a LOT of long days.

If I test strong in a certain area, is it ok to completely ignore that area of study or should I devote at least a little amount of time to it?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
swirvi wrote:
Out of curiosity, how much time should one devote to each topic? Should you split it up evenly between Verbal and Math? What if I am much better at Math than Verbal? Would I be shooting myself in the foot to spend, say, 5 weeks on Verbal and only 3 weeks on Math? I'm just curious because I haven't started the studying yet and I've seen the books. The MGMAT books look pretty thick and to go through all of them in just 2 months seems like a LOT of long days.

If I test strong in a certain area, is it ok to completely ignore that area of study or should I devote at least a little amount of time to it?

Sort of. GMAT has a number of unique questions, such as Data Sufficiency, so you should do some practice, but if your math is great and you score well - why worry?
You should download GMAT Prep (2 free tests by the makers of GMAT) and check your level
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Bookmarks
Seems like an excellent plan. I'm sure 3 months won't be sufficient for me, but I hope it will be enough to take you into 700 club. My ideal study time is more like 6 months, but I suppose the average time of sucsessful test takers is somewhere between 3 and 6 months.

Your list of resources is great, with the exception of MGMAT's CR and RC guide. I used their entire package and adored other six guides, but I'm sure their RC and CR guides are the weakest link of this company. Any resource for RC and CR that doesn't come from GMAT writters represents some kind of trap - you are failing to adopt the logic of GMAT, instead you are adopting the mind patterns of people from MGMAT. Of course, this is more than desirable for math and SC because 2+2 is always 4 and "either X or Y" is always correct, but if your assumptions are deeper than those in real GMAT and go out of scope - you are in the deep trouble. And that is the case with MGMAT - their CRs are flooded with some weird assumptions (I mean really weird - those people are much smarter than GMAT makers) and their RCs often tend to go out of scope big time.

These are just my two cents. Other than that, your plan is excellent.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q42  V40
GPA: 3.35
WE 1: IT Business Analyst-Building Materials Industry
Send PM
WMW,

Any results of this plan yet? I am attempting close to the same plan, and I'm curious how it worked for you. How did you do on your diagnostic?
Quote:
I would recommend to start taking half-tests after you finish Math. So, take a Manhattan test but instead of taking the full test, just take the math portion. not sure if there are any issues with technology, but that's your measuring stick for your review level.
bb has anyone found a way to do this? It would be awesome to take one portion only and still see your score for it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Hey,

Well i didn't quite go through with the plan ! I tried to do the self studying thing but I wasn't disciplined enough to go through with it....
So i signed up for an MGMAT 9 week online class which will end this Dec 5th. So far my last diagnostic on MGMAT CAT has been 570 and ill update you guys with the rest of the story as the D-Day approaches (Dec 30).

Good Luck!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
WMW wrote:
Hey,

Well i didn't quite go through with the plan ! I tried to do the self studying thing but I wasn't disciplined enough to go through with it....
So i signed up for an MGMAT 9 week online class which will end this Dec 5th. So far my last diagnostic on MGMAT CAT has been 570 and ill update you guys with the rest of the story as the D-Day approaches (Dec 30).

Good Luck!

Thanks for the report back - would be interested to hear more about the classroom experience - we are trying to gather as much feedback as we can.

Good Luck (interesting date you have :)

BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q42  V40
GPA: 3.35
WE 1: IT Business Analyst-Building Materials Industry
Send PM
Thanks can't wait to here how everything pans out. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi all,

Guttered, defeated and was really down and under, and feelin maybe gmat is just not my game :cry: .

I'm a totally new (1hr "year old") on gmat club; i stumbled across this website today, read several treads for a couple hours and it made me feel a little better (and learnt a lot of useful tips like error log, gmat timer, etc)....

Cut the long story short, i felt seriously troubled having attempted my first cat test (Gmat prep 1) yesterday, and only got 500 (Quans 34; Verbal 25), i am embarassed to say, even though i had revised for 3.5 months and been to a prep course with veritas prep which i paid (in the UK) nearly double the price of what was suggested on this website. I did have to pick up (not recap) a lot of basic math on my own during that period though bcos i didn't do high school maths. Unfortunately I also skipped the first year of my undergrad (where maths was covered) to complete a 3 years degree in 2, since I haven’t had enough money then to pay for the extra year.

My problem now is, is it realistic for me to obtain the 700 region on gmat.

I have laboriously gone through all the questions on the prep course material (except the last book which is a review of quants lessons) ensuring tat i know how to do nearly every single one of them (i say about 97%) during my revision - but i can't remember everything nor am i fast enough to solve them under timed condition. I was a little angry because i was given the impression that if i went through all the prep course material and can do all the questions, i would be capable of managing at least 600+.

I only have 2mths left on the online resouce (mainly the CAT tests) before it expires, and I think Veritas is going to ask for more money if I need to extend it. My initial plan, assuming I would have been at 600 level by now, was to use the next 1 month to practice on CATs to get me up to 700. Now I am at a loss with what is the best thing to do. You said it isn’t advisable to spend more than 6 mths, is my time up, is gmat not my game after all?
Would it be a realistic or sensible way forward if I went through my prep course material again (hopefully 2nd time round sticks in my memory better) - 2 weeks on Quans and 2 weeks on verbal, and use the last remaining month to do practice CAT. Or should I restart using BB's GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices?

Anyone with rescue tips or advise for me (BB would you be able to advise?).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6532 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Aquila:
Let me personally welcome you to GMATCLUB!It's great to have you here!If you read few posts in the forum you'll realise how much this site has helped people..stick with us and we'll try to help you in whichever way we can!

First off,do not feel disheartened..EVERYBODY gets low scores..you need to learn how to handle it properly..Analyze,Analyze,Analyze..WHERE and WHY you are going wrong,your strengths and weaknesses,the problems you got right BUT exceeded the time,the questions you got wrong(WHY?Are you familiar with the topic or do you need to work on it).

Secondly,we aim for a target of 700 because it is a nice,round figure.Which schools are you planning to apply to?Will a 680/690 help?This way you are not setting yourself up for disappointment.

Thirdly,do not loose heart.Remember it is quality over quantity..you do not need to just blindly study..you need to study the RIGHT way.

As for the veritasprep..I am not familiar with it..somebody who knows more about it will be able to guide you better..but my suggestion would be instead of doing new stuff go over what you have learnt..since the math is relatively new to you,it will take time to sink in..

Hang on buddy!Just forge ahead!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tejal777 wrote:
Aquila:
Let me personally welcome you to GMATCLUB!It's great to have you here!If you read few posts in the forum you'll realise how much this site has helped people..stick with us and we'll try to help you in whichever way we can!

First off,do not feel disheartened..EVERYBODY gets low scores..you need to learn how to handle it properly..Analyze,Analyze,Analyze..WHERE and WHY you are going wrong,your strengths and weaknesses,the problems you got right BUT exceeded the time,the questions you got wrong(WHY?Are you familiar with the topic or do you need to work on it).

Secondly,we aim for a target of 700 because it is a nice,round figure.Which schools are you planning to apply to?Will a 680/690 help?This way you are not setting yourself up for disappointment.

Thirdly,do not loose heart.Remember it is quality over quantity..you do not need to just blindly study..you need to study the RIGHT way.

As for the veritasprep..I am not familiar with it..somebody who knows more about it will be able to guide you better..but my suggestion would be instead of doing new stuff go over what you have learnt..since the math is relatively new to you,it will take time to sink in..

Hang on buddy!Just forge ahead!

Thank you very much for your kind words of welcome and encouragment. It was really nice to a get reply :>

I am still a little disorientated on this site. After i posted this mail, i couldn't find where it was and tho i had not posted it properly!! I then posted it again elsewhere.... ah well, never mind i since realise i get an email and also on the top right hand i cud view my post!!! I ought to get a new pair of glasses!

Anyway my post has been moved onto a new discussion topic (i haven't figured out how to attached a link here but the topic is "study plan question - Is 700 realistic"); can you visit it, i have got me new plan there. It willl be nice to see wat u think.

Do you know how to move this whole lot over to the new topic, just so that this discussion is kept on one location. Sorry i got off to a messy start on this website.

In answer to your questions, my quans weakness is that bcos a lot of stuff are new to me, it takes time for me to recall the rules when i see the questions. A lot of the question i know i can solve but i can't solve in 2 mins.

As for verbal, it is the same, since i am not a native speaker, i need to think about where are the verbs and adjectives and etc are on the sentences before i am able to idnetify the SC errors. By the time i had done it, i t could take me as long as 5mins!!

As for the schools, it is mainly Insead or LBS. Although they do take in 680, but i have got a pretty low GPA so having spoken to the schools at open day, they suggest that if i want to ensure i get an interview upon application , my gmat has got to be strong. I assume that means 700 region
GMAT Club Bot